Why do pulsars emit radiation from both poles?

In summary: So, depending on the orientation of the magnetic field lines, radiation will be emitted in either the north-south or east-west directions.I don't know, but it seems like the electric field occurs when the particles are accelerated up in the magnetosphere.
rnielsen25
Hi everyone,

The charged particles in the magnetic field around the neuton star, is accelerated along the magnetic field lines, which would go in a curve, from the north pole to the south pole. Due to the acceleration the particles will emit radiation, along their movement axis, and because the field lines is strongest at the poles, this is why we say they emit radiation from the poles.

But do both protons and electrons move along the magnetic field lines, or is it only the electrons? If both move along, why does a pulsar emit radiation from the south pole, and not only from the north pole? What i mean, is when the particles move towards the south pole, wouldn't they emit radiation toward the pole too, and not away from the star as on the north pole.

And if the positively charged particles move the other direction against the field lines, wouldn't they crash together and literally **** everything up? But what i thought i understood, is that both move along the field lines, but have opposite rotation around the field lines.

One thing more. If i understood this right, so the reason the particles is getting in the magnetosphere, is around the neutron star, a electric field occurs due to the plasma beeing accelerated around in the magnetosphere. This accellerates the electric charged particle up in the magnetic field. But if this is correct, how does that work in any way? I mean if, at first it is electrons who is in the plasma, then wouldn't the protons be accelerated up in the magnetosphere and align the electric potential? So how can a electric field occur?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Why would you expect particles or radiation to follow our (human) arbitrary definition of "direction" (N->S) of field lines?

Well, i can't explain why. But like on earth, it seems like when charged particles is in a magnetosphere, they have a tendency to move in a helix along the magnetic field lines. This creates something called synchrotron radiation, where the photons is radiated along the particles movement axis.

Right, and particles can have this helix in both directions.

1. Why do pulsars emit radiation from both poles?

Pulsars emit radiation from both poles because of their rapid rotation and strong magnetic fields. As the pulsar rotates, it emits beams of electromagnetic radiation from its magnetic poles. These beams are only visible when they are pointed directly at Earth, which is why we see periodic pulses of radiation from pulsars.

2. How do pulsars maintain their high rotation speeds?

Pulsars maintain their high rotation speeds because of their conservation of angular momentum. When a massive star collapses into a pulsar, its rotation speeds up due to the conservation of angular momentum. This means that the pulsar's rotation rate is directly related to its mass and radius.

3. Can pulsars emit other forms of radiation besides electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, pulsars can also emit other forms of radiation besides electromagnetic radiation, such as neutrinos and gravitational waves. These forms of radiation are not visible to the human eye, but they have been detected by scientists using specialized instruments.

4. Why do pulsars emit radiation in pulses?

Pulsars emit radiation in pulses because of their magnetic fields. As the pulsar rotates, its magnetic field lines become twisted and stretched, causing them to emit beams of radiation from their poles. These beams are only visible when they are pointed directly at Earth, which creates the pulsing effect.

5. What can we learn from studying pulsars and their radiation?

Studying pulsars and their radiation can provide valuable insights into the nature of matter, gravity, and the universe as a whole. Pulsars are also used as precise cosmic clocks, and their radiation can help us understand the structure and evolution of galaxies, as well as the origin of the universe.