Why do morphisms in category of rings respect identity

In summary, the axioms of ring homomorphism imply that in the category of rings, they must preserve the identity. However, this is not a requirement for a unital ring homomorphism. If the category of rings is a subcategory of the category of pseudo-rings, then the identity is automatically preserved by the additional axiom f(1)=1.
algebrat
Hi, I'm looking for intuition and/or logic as to why we would want or need morphisms according to axioms in category theory, to imply that in the category of rings, they must preserve the identity (unless codomain is "0").

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
algebrat said:
Hi, I'm looking for intuition and/or logic as to why we would want or need morphisms according to axioms in category theory, to imply that in the category of rings, they must preserve the identity (unless codomain is "0").

Thank you very much.

Okay, I think I thought it was more complicated then it was. I'm sure I was interested for some specific reason, but I guess morphism in concrete categories are just structure preserving functions (I do not have an in depth source to check yet). So the identity part is as Artin says, there aren't necessarily a lot of inverses, so we need to explicitly mention that 1 maps to 1. f(x)=f(x)f(1)→f(x)(1-f(x))=0. For instance we are not in an integral domain so we should require that f(1)=1. Okay, now that I write that, I don't get it. Are all morphisms by definition, in categroy of rings with identity, necessarily taking identity to identity, or is this a stronger restriction that Artin has requested, as opposed to definition of morphism.

The way I understand it, if the category itself demands that all its members have multiplicative identity, then the morphisms will have to respect that. Otherwise, the image of your morphism may not be in the category any longer. If you are in the category of rings without 1 (Pseudo-rings, Rngs), then you aren't restricted this way.

I am still working on categories myself, so others may be able to give you a deeper explanation.

I'm still not 100% certain what your question is, so first I'll give my interpretation of the question.

I believe you are asking why the axioms of general ring homomorphism (f(x)f(y)=f(xy) and f(x)+f(y)=f(x+y)) imply the additional axiom of ring homomorphism for unital rings (f(1)=1), in the case that both rings have a unit.

If this is your question, then the simple answer is that they don't. A general ring homomorphism R→S actually does not need to be a unital ring homomorphism just because R and S are unital. For instance, the zero function between any two rings is a (pseudo-)ring homomorphism, but it is never a unital ring homomorphism unless the codomain is the zero ring (since we would need 0=1).

Put in other words, the category of rings is a subcategory of the category of pseudo-rings. However, it is not a full subcategory.

Another interpretation of your question is "Why do we include this additional axiom f(1)=1 explicitly?"

If that's what you meant, then the answer is essentially the same. It's because it's not implied by the other ones.When we're talking about a concrete category of algebraic objects, a full subcategory basically corresponds to the case that no new axioms of homomorphism are necessary. Since the "extra structure" (the unit) is not automatically preserved, we need two things:
1. On the algebra side, we add an extra rule to our homomorphism.
2. On the categorical side, we cut out the morphisms that didn't satisfy that rule, making our subcategory no longer full.

Thank you!

alexfloo said:
When we're talking about a concrete category of algebraic objects, a full subcategory basically corresponds to the case that no new axioms of homomorphism are necessary. Since the "extra structure" (the unit) is not automatically preserved, we need two things:
1. On the algebra side, we add an extra rule to our homomorphism.
2. On the categorical side, we cut out the morphisms that didn't satisfy that rule, making our subcategory no longer full.

Yes, very nicely said.

To be sure, I was thanking you equally Sankaku!

Related to Why do morphisms in category of rings respect identity

1. Why do morphisms in category of rings respect identity?

Morphisms in the category of rings respect identity because they preserve the structure of the ring. This means that the identity element of the ring is mapped to the identity element of the target ring, and the operation of addition and multiplication are also preserved. This ensures that the algebraic properties of the ring are maintained under the morphism.

2. What is the importance of preserving identity in the category of rings?

Preserving identity in the category of rings is important because it allows for meaningful comparisons and relationships between different rings. Without this preservation, the algebraic properties of the rings could be distorted, making it difficult to understand their structure and properties.

3. How do morphisms in the category of rings preserve identity?

Morphisms in the category of rings preserve identity by mapping the identity element of the source ring to the identity element of the target ring. This is done through the property of homomorphism, which ensures that the operation and structure of the ring are maintained.

4. Can morphisms in the category of rings break the identity?

No, morphisms in the category of rings cannot break the identity. This is because they are defined to preserve the algebraic structure of the ring, including the identity element. If a morphism were to break the identity, it would not be considered a valid morphism in the category of rings.

5. How does the concept of identity relate to the category of rings?

The concept of identity is fundamental to the category of rings, as it is what distinguishes a ring from other algebraic structures. The identity element plays a crucial role in defining the algebraic properties of a ring, and preserving it is essential for maintaining the structure of the ring under a morphism.