Why Do Contest Problems Feel More Challenging Than Classroom Exercises?

In summary: I'm a junior in physics and math and I've done very well in my courses, but I'm finding that things like contest problems and math puzzles are extremely difficult for me. There's a problem solving club at my college I go to and I'm finding even the very simplest of the drills we're given are all but impenetrable. I've looked into a few books, like the Mathematical Olympiad Handbook and A Primer for Mathematics Competitions as well as the ones everyone said I should read, Polya, Schoenfeld, and Street Fighting Mathematics and while it's all been very interesting I feel like I'm just not learning anything. Your problem solving skill in your coursework
jack476
I'm a junior in physics and math and I've done very well in my courses, but I'm finding that things like contest problems and math puzzles are extremely difficult for me. There's a problem solving club at my college I go to and I'm finding even the very simplest of the drills we're given are all but impenetrable. I've looked into a few books, like the Mathematical Olympiad Handbook and A Primer for Mathematics Competitions as well as the ones everyone said I should read, Polya, Schoenfeld, and Street Fighting Mathematics and while it's all been very interesting I feel like I'm just not learning anything.

This is something I really want to get better at, but I'm at a loss as to how to proceed since it seems I'm just stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know how you feel. Certain kinds of problem solving can be very difficult for me also.

Your problem solving skill in your coursework is a good sign. If you persevere in other challenges, I bet you will improve in them also.

When working with others, you should ask them not only how they solved the problem, but WHY they chose a certain step at key points.

Keep practicing, you will get better.

Dr. Courtney said:
When working with others, you should ask them not only how they solved the problem, but WHY they chose a certain step at key points.

Just to note to say that solving problems in the rather artificial world of academic study and exams is very different to solving problems in later research or in industry .

Whilst I have often had to sit down and puzzle over difficult problems in engineering for hours (or sometimes weeks !) I have never had to do this in total isolation like in an exam . Massive resources of published data and generous help from colleagues has always been available .

Took a little while for penny to drop but I soon learned that effective utilisation all these resources was an essential tool for problem solving .

Not many people will ever experience this now because industry has changed but I have fond memories of very complex problems being solved in a few seconds of absolutely sparkling ideas exchange between several people standing at a drawing board .

Likes DEvens and Dr. Courtney

Related to Why Do Contest Problems Feel More Challenging Than Classroom Exercises?

What is problem solving?

Problem solving is the process of finding a solution to a difficult or complex issue or situation. It involves identifying the problem, gathering information, generating possible solutions, evaluating those solutions, and implementing the most effective one.

Why is problem solving important?

Problem solving is a crucial skill in all areas of life, including science. It allows us to overcome challenges and make progress towards our goals. In science, problem solving is essential for conducting experiments, analyzing data, and developing new theories and technologies.

What are the steps involved in problem solving?

The steps involved in problem solving may vary depending on the situation, but generally they include: identifying the problem, gathering information, brainstorming possible solutions, evaluating those solutions, selecting the best one, and implementing it. It is also important to reflect on the process and learn from it for future problem solving.

How can I improve my problem solving skills?

There are several ways to improve your problem solving skills, such as practicing regularly, seeking out challenging problems, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, using logical and creative thinking, and seeking feedback from others. It is also helpful to approach problems with a positive and open-minded attitude.

What are some common challenges in problem solving?

Some common challenges in problem solving include feeling overwhelmed by the complexity of the problem, getting stuck in a single approach or solution, dealing with limited information or resources, and facing resistance from others. It is important to be patient, flexible, and open to trying different strategies when facing these challenges.