Should I go back to my math basics?

• Thread starter RickSilver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basics
In summary, a mathematician should be able to demonstrate competence in their student life, be able to solve problems on tests, and be able to creatively solve problems.
RickSilver
So I'm currently a senior in high school in the U.S. and I'm hugely interested in mathematics. I was accepted to the University of Chicago (my top choice) and I'll be matriculating there in the fall. My background in math is a bit of an odd one. I used to hate it as a kid, but I always read novels and wanted to be a writer. In my freshman year, however, I came upon a senior who was the president of the mathematics club. He showed me Euclid's proof of the infinitude of primes and I was so stricken by the beauty of the proof that I basically took to math like nothing else existed, and I've spent most of the time in the intervening years exploring mathematics on my own, taking courses at the local uni in real analysis (currently in a course developing the Lebesgue integral and it's awesome), linear algebra, geometry, and discrete math.

My question though involves math competitions. While I seem to definitely have some facility for proof based mathematics (I've done pretty well in the proof based courses at my local uni and I seem to manage to do most of the exercises in the math books I read) I seem to have a terrible time with problem solving especially at math competitions. I've never managed to move onto AIME from the AMC for example. The time constraints make me feel uncomfortable and while I'm interested in the topics covered on these tests (I'm hugely interested in geometry, less so in elementary number theory) I seem to not be able to solve these problems in the time constraints. Should I go back to basics and try to cultivate more skill in problem solving? is it really all that important a skill for a mathematician to cultivate?

Physics news on Phys.org
RickSilver said:
So I'm currently a senior in high school in the U.S. and I'm hugely interested in mathematics. I was accepted to the University of Chicago (my top choice) and I'll be matriculating there in the fall. My background in math is a bit of an odd one. I used to hate it as a kid, but I always read novels and wanted to be a writer. In my freshman year, however, I came upon a senior who was the president of the mathematics club. He showed me Euclid's proof of the infinitude of primes and I was so stricken by the beauty of the proof that I basically took to math like nothing else existed, and I've spent most of the time in the intervening years exploring mathematics on my own, taking courses at the local uni in real analysis (currently in a course developing the Lebesgue integral and it's awesome), linear algebra, geometry, and discrete math.

My question though involves math competitions. While I seem to definitely have some facility for proof based mathematics (I've done pretty well in the proof based courses at my local uni and I seem to manage to do most of the exercises in the math books I read) I seem to have a terrible time with problem solving especially at math competitions. I've never managed to move onto AIME from the AMC for example. The time constraints make me feel uncomfortable and while I'm interested in the topics covered on these tests (I'm hugely interested in geometry, less so in elementary number theory) I seem to not be able to solve these problems in the time constraints. Should I go back to basics and try to cultivate more skill in problem solving? is it really all that important a skill for a mathematician to cultivate?

I believe that you should ask yourself if the "real life" of a mathematician is like these competitions. What do you think?

From talking to my mathematician friends, I understand that when they receive a grant from a funding agency to do work, they use the money to go to conferences, talk to other mathematicians, listen to other mathematicians talk about how they have solved their own problems, etc. They do all of this to help them develop their ideas for the problems that they are working on. This does not sound to me like what goes on in a mathematical competition.

Sure, you have to be able to demonstrate competence in your student life, and tests represent probably the easiest way to test for competence. Does this kind of test demonstrate the kind of creative intelligence needed to solve unsolved problems? [all questions on any test I have ever taken have been ones for which the solution is known]

Also, your 18 year old self is not such a good predictor of where you will be at your most creative time in life.

It sounds to me like you will do well. Good luck at U. Chicago!

Likes Stephen Tashi
RickSilver said:
Should I go back to basics and try to cultivate more skill in problem solving? is it really all that important a skill for a mathematician to cultivate?

No. Solving artificial problems within small time constraints is pretty much unimportant. Do the things you enjoy. If you want to go back to basics, read Measurement or learn mathematical logic.

Some successful mathematicians appear not to have done very well on that type of thing from what I've heard. I think especially the time constraints aren't such a big issue. Doing hard problems from textbooks is good enough.

I would encourage you to continue exploring and studying mathematics, as it is a fascinating and important field of study. Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Chicago, that is a great accomplishment.

In regards to your question about going back to basics and improving your problem-solving skills, my advice would be to focus on what you are passionate about and what interests you most in mathematics. While problem-solving skills are certainly important for mathematicians, they are not the only skills that are necessary for success in this field.

It sounds like you have a strong foundation in proof-based mathematics, which is a valuable skill for a mathematician. As you continue your studies at the University of Chicago, you will have the opportunity to further develop your problem-solving skills through coursework and research projects. Additionally, participating in math competitions can also be a helpful way to improve your problem-solving abilities.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to continue pursuing your passion for mathematics and to not get discouraged by challenges or setbacks. With dedication and hard work, you will continue to grow and develop as a mathematician.

Related to Should I go back to my math basics?

1. What are the benefits of going back to my math basics as a scientist?

Going back to your math basics as a scientist can provide several benefits, including: strengthening your problem-solving skills, improving your critical thinking abilities, and providing a solid foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts. Additionally, having a strong understanding of math basics can enhance your ability to interpret and analyze data, which is essential in the field of science.

2. Will going back to my math basics take up too much time?

This ultimately depends on your current level of math proficiency and the specific areas you need to review. However, it is important to remember that the time spent on reviewing math basics can greatly benefit your overall understanding and application of mathematical concepts in your scientific work.

3. Can I skip going back to my math basics and just rely on calculators and technology?

While technology and calculators can make complex equations and calculations easier, having a strong foundation in math basics is still crucial. Without a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts, it can be challenging to fully grasp and utilize more advanced concepts and methods. Additionally, technology is not always reliable, and having a strong understanding of math basics can help you double-check calculations and catch any potential errors.

4. How can I determine which math basics I need to review as a scientist?

This will vary depending on your specific field of science and the type of work you do. It may be helpful to consult with a mentor or colleague who is knowledgeable in both math and science to identify any areas that may need strengthening. Additionally, you can assess your own understanding by practicing problems and identifying any areas where you may struggle.

5. Will going back to my math basics be beneficial even if I am not directly using math in my current research?

Yes, having a strong foundation in math basics can still be beneficial even if you are not directly using math in your current research. As a scientist, you will likely encounter data and information that requires mathematical analysis, and having a strong understanding of math basics can help you interpret and utilize this data accurately and effectively.