Accelerating with gravity equation

In summary, this person is working with Basic Physics Second Edition textbook and they are stuck. They ask for help calculating the distance an object has traveled with gravity. They are told that v0 is the starting position, d is the distance traveled, at is the acceleration and t is time. They are also told that when v0 = 0 it will show them an example for 1 second of acceleration. They are also told that if acceleration is constant then distance moved will depend on t2 and is the same as averaging initial and final velocity and using that like a constant velocity. They are told that the version of the distance formula that uses T2 (aka T**2) is 1/2 a T2, not 1/2 Vfinal T
Cr4X
Allright, this isn't exactly a K-12 question, but I am trying to learn something on my own, since I don't think I learn enough at my school. Anyway, I am working with Basic Physics secound edition, and I really need some place to ask for help since I am stuck.

I have come to a place, where I am getting taught how to use an equation to learn how far an object has traveled with gravity:

d = v0t+½at**2

Explanation:
v0 = starting position
d = distance
at = unsure but a = acceleration and t = time
** = It's difficult to explain but: 3**3 = 3*3*3=27

Should I multiply v0 with time or what?

When v0 = 0 it shows me this example for 1 secound of acceleration:
d = ½*9.8*1**2

Here I get that distance traveled = average speed * secound, but I don't get **2

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should I multiply v0 with time or what?

Well, yes, that exactly what "v0t" means!

When v0 = 0 it shows me this example for 1 secound of acceleration:
d = ½*9.8*1**2

Here I get that distance traveled = average speed * secound, but I don't get **2

They are exactly the same (and I'm impressed that you saw the "average speed" connection).

One can show (though it requires calculus) that if acceleration is constant then distance moved will depend on t2 and is the same as averaging initial and final velocity and using that like a constant velocity.

I understand most of it now, but I still don't get **2...
Let's say we drop a ball from a tall building and it reaches ground after 2 secounds gaining a speed of 19.6m/s

d=½*19.6*2=19.6m

I can't see the problem in this one, but if I now add the **2 equation it would look like this:
d=½*19.6*2**2=39.2m

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Cr4X
I understand most of it now, but I still don't get **2...
Let's say we drop a ball from a tall building and it reaches ground after 2 secounds gaining a speed of 19.6m/s

d=½*19.6*2=19.6m
Nothing wrong with this, if you know what you are doing. You are using the final velocity (19.6) to find the average velocity 1/2 (19.6). So, you are essentially doing this:

[tex]d=V_{ave}\times T[/tex], which becomes..
[tex]d=\frac{1}{2}(V_{initial} + V_{final})\times T[/tex]
which becomes (since it starts from rest)...
[tex]d=\frac{1}{2}(V_{final})\times T[/tex]
[tex]d=\frac{1}{2}(aT)\times T[/tex]

Note that you are already using time once, to caculate Vfinal; if you wish to skip that separate step, you can go directly to distance without calculating Vfinal. In that case you use "a" (acceleration) in the formula, not Vfinal:
[tex]d=\frac{1}{2}aT^2[/tex]
I can't see the problem in this one, but if I now add the **2 equation it would look like this:
d=½*19.6*2**2=39.2m
No. The version of the distance formula that uses T2 (aka T**2) is 1/2 a T2, not 1/2 Vfinal T2! (See the discussion above.)

Does this help a bit?

I don't really get it, but I as long as I know how to calculate the answer, I'm fine, when I have learned more I might return and fully understand it.

Thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is the equation for acceleration due to gravity?

The equation for acceleration due to gravity is a = g, where "a" represents the acceleration and "g" represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant value of 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of an object accelerating due to gravity, the force of gravity is equal to the object's mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the significance of the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is significant because it affects the motion of all objects on Earth. It is responsible for the motion of objects falling towards the ground and also plays a crucial role in the orbit of planets around the sun.

4. Is the acceleration due to gravity the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the acceleration due to gravity can vary slightly depending on factors such as altitude and latitude. However, for most practical purposes, it is considered to be a constant value of 9.8 m/s².

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect freefall?

The acceleration due to gravity causes objects to accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate. This means that in freefall, an object's velocity will increase by 9.8 m/s for every second it falls. This is why objects fall faster and faster the longer they are in freefall.