Why divide by 1.059 to convert from slugs*ft/(s^2) to lbf?

In summary, the equation for reverse thrust is 300*9 + 900*cos(30)*4.5 + 900*cos(30)*4.5 = 9714 slugs*ft/(s^2).
Toddy

Homework Statement

Hello guys,

I just have a very quick question about English units. On my fluids homework, I got the answer 9714.806 slugs*ft/(s^2) which seems to be right according to the solutions manual. The homework problem is asking for the force , and the solution manual is dividing 9714.806 slugs*ft/(s^2) by 1.059 (lb*s^2)/(slug*ft) to get an answer of 9714 lb. Why is this right? I thought Slugs*ft/(s^2) = lbf.

Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Toddy said:

Homework Statement

Hello guys,

I just have a very quick question about English units. On my fluids homework, I got the answer 9714.806 slugs*ft/(s^2) which seems to be right according to the solutions manual. The homework problem is asking for the force , and the solution manual is dividing 9714.806 slugs*ft/(s^2) by 1.059 (lb*s^2)/(slug*ft) to get an answer of 9714 lb. Why is this right? I thought Slugs*ft/(s^2) = lbf.

Thank you for the help.
We really can't answer all your questions unless you post your HW.

1 lbf = 1 slug-s2 / ft

In more familiar F = ma terms, slugs = lbf / g, and g = 32.174 ft/s2

I don't recognize the factor 1.059 lb-s2 / (slug-ft), unless it's some weird density unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(mass)

SteamKing said:
We really can't answer all your questions unless you post your HW.

1 lbf = 1 slug-s2 / ft

In more familiar F = ma terms, slugs = lbf / g, and g = 32.174 ft/s2

I don't recognize the factor 1.059 lb-s2 / (slug-ft), unless it's some weird density unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(mass)

Hello Steamking,

Thanks for the reply,

The homework problem is the following.

Upon landing, airplanes exhaust the air from the engine through a reverse thrust mechanism in order to slow the plane. In this configuration, air flows into the jet engine shown at a rate of 9 slugs/s and a speed of 300 ft/s. Upon landing, the engine exhaust exits through the reverse thrust mechanism with a speed of in the direction indicated. Determine the reverse thrust applied by the engine to the airplane. Assume that the inlet and exit pressures are atmospheric and that the mass flow rate of fuel is negligible compared to the air flow rate through the engine

I was able to derived the equation for the reverse thrust :

300*9 + 900*cos(30)*4.5 + 900*cos(30)*4.5 = 9714 slugs*ft/(s^2)

Which seems to be right according to the solutions manual . However, I don't understand why they are dividing 9714 slugs*ft/(s^2) by 1.059 (lb*s^2)/(slug*ft) .

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Attachments

• media-aef-aefcae0d-bc7e-42ed-a0ed-3b98da6f552e-phpx829Xa.png
    media-aef-aefcae0d-bc7e-42ed-a0ed-3b98da6f552e-phpx829Xa.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 889

Related to Why divide by 1.059 to convert from slugs*ft/(s^2) to lbf?

1. What are English units conversions?

English units conversions refer to the process of converting measurements from one unit of measurement to another within the English system, such as converting inches to feet or pounds to ounces.

2. Why are English units conversions important?

English units conversions are important because they allow us to easily communicate and compare measurements with others who use the same system. They also help us to understand and visualize measurements more easily.

3. What are the common English units of measurement?

The common English units of measurement include inches, feet, yards, miles, ounces, pounds, gallons, and pints.

4. How do I convert between different English units?

To convert between English units, you can use conversion factors or conversion formulas. For example, to convert inches to feet, you can use the conversion factor 12 inches = 1 foot or the formula feet = inches/12.

5. Why do some countries still use English units instead of the metric system?

Some countries still use English units because they have a long history of using them and it can be difficult and costly to switch to the metric system. Additionally, certain industries, such as construction and manufacturing, have established practices and standards based on English units.