What are the units for the Universal Gas Constant?

In summary: The universal gas constant - Ru - is in alternative unitsAtmospheric pressure is 14.7 psiThe gage pressure is 50 psiThe temperature is 70 FThe volume of the compressed air tank is .84 ft^3
Minh Nguyen

Homework Statement

Hello,

I am not asking for the answer to an example, rather how the book got some numbers. The problem is an example from the book and shows me the solution but does not show the steps.

Given: The compressed air tank has a volume of .84 ft^3. The temperature is 70 F and the atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi (abs).

Find: When the tank is filled with air at a gage pressure of 50 psi, determine the density of the air and the weight of air in the tank.)

Homework Equations

I am told to use the ideal gas law, ρ = p/RT.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Then the book says,

ρ = (50 lb/in2 + 14.7 lb/in2)(144 in2/ft2) / (1716 ft * lb/slug * °R) [(70 + 460) ° R]

So I understand where the (50 lb/in2 + 14.7 lb/in2) is coming from, they are just adding the gage pressure as well as the atmospheric pressure.

BUT, I don't understand where the (144 in2/ft2) came from, as well as the (1716 ft * lb/slug * °R), and [(70+460) °R].

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand where the (144 in2/ft2) came from, as well as the (1716 ft * lb/slug * °R), and [(70+460) °R].
The units of that 144 term are a hint.

What value would you have used for R in the formula ##\rho=p/RT## ? You would have probably used a google search to determine R. What name is R known as?

How would you convert 70° F to degrees Rankine to use in your Gas Law formula?

Likes Minh Nguyen
I was going to use 8.314 K-1mol-1 since that is the gas constant for air.

I looked through my textbook and found that °R = °F + 459.67, so I would do 70°F + 460 = °R.

Would I do something with the volume to get the 144? I am not even sure what that number is doing there since the equation just says absolute pressure should be the numerator.

What is the result if you take the square root of everything in the brackets here: ##\left( 144\ \dfrac {in^2}{ft^2} \right)##

Likes Minh Nguyen
You would get 12 in/ft.

Minh Nguyen said:
I was going to use 8.314 K-1mol-1 since that is the gas constant for air.
Almost.

Choose whichever of the alternative forms best suits you and your data, e.g.,
The Universal Gas Constant - Ru - in alternative Units
  • atm.cm3/(mol.K) : 82.0575
  • atm.ft3/(lbmol.K) : 1.31443
  • atm.ft3/(lbmol.°R) : 0.73024
  • atm.l/(mol.K) : 0.08206
  • bar.cm3/(mol.K) : 83.14472
  • bar.l/(mol.K) : 0.08314472
  • Btu/(lbmol.°R) : 1.9859
  • cal/(mol.K) : 1.9859
  • erg/(mol.K) : 83144720
  • hp.h/(lbmol.°R) : 0.0007805
  • inHg.ft3/(lbmol.°R) : 21.85
  • J/(mol.K) : 8.3144598
  • kJ/(kmol.K) : 8.3144598
  • J/(kmol.K) : 8314.472
  • (kgf/cm2).l/(mol.K) : 0.084784
  • kPa.cm3/(mol.K) : 8314.472
  • kWh/(lbmol.°R) : 0.000582
  • lbf.ft/(lbmol.°R) : 1545.349
  • mmHg.ft3/(lbmol.K) : 999
  • mmHg.ft3/(lbmol.°R) : 555
  • mmHg.l/(mol.K) : 62.364
  • Pa.m3/(mol.K) : 8.314472
  • psf.ft3/(lbmol.°R) : 1545.349
  • psi.ft3/(lbmol.°R) : 10.73
  • Torr.cm3/(mol.K) : 62364
from http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/individual-universal-gas-constant-d_588.html

Likes Minh Nguyen

Related to What are the units for the Universal Gas Constant?

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of ideal gases in terms of their temperature, pressure, volume, and number of moles. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. When is the Ideal Gas Law applicable?

The Ideal Gas Law is most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. It is also applicable for gases with small molecular sizes and weak intermolecular forces.

3. How can the Ideal Gas Law be used to calculate the properties of a gas?

The Ideal Gas Law can be rearranged to calculate various properties of a gas. For example, if the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are known, the number of moles can be calculated using n = PV/RT. Similarly, if the pressure, volume, and number of moles are known, the temperature can be calculated using T = PV/nR.

4. What are the units of the gas constant in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units of the gas constant, R, depend on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature in the Ideal Gas Law equation. The most commonly used units are atmospheres (atm) for pressure, liters (L) for volume, and kelvin (K) for temperature, which results in the gas constant having a value of 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is used in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the volume of a gas in a container, the amount of gas produced in a chemical reaction, and the pressure needed for a gas to occupy a certain volume. It is also used in the design of gas storage tanks and in the production of industrial gases.