Why did I recognize I was dreaming?

• Thread starter andi_w
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation discusses a dream the speaker had where they did not realize they were dreaming until a deceased friend appeared. The friend then transformed into someone else and the speaker woke up, never having consciously recognized being in a dream before. The conversation also mentions guidelines for posting on a forum.
andi_w
Hi there,

I'm new here, thought I'd share something that happened to me last night, I'm not sure if it means anything, but either way here goes.

So I went to bed last night and starting dreaming, it was quite a long and vivid dream and at no time I consciously knew I was dreaming -- until a friend appeared, who has actually passed away and at that moment I consciously said if you are here, I must be dreaming right now.

That instant, my friend who had passed away changed into someone else I don't know and it was then I woke up -- very weird as I've never in my entire life recognized inside a dream, that I was actually dreaming.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Why did I recognize I was dreaming?

1. What do you consider as "weird" in a scientific context?

In science, "weird" can refer to any unexpected or unusual event or observation that does not fit into existing theories or explanations.

2. How do you approach investigating something weird that has happened?

As scientists, we use the scientific method to systematically gather evidence and conduct experiments to understand the cause of the weird event. We also consult with other experts in the field and review existing research to gain a better understanding.

3. Can something weird that happened be explained by natural causes?

Yes, as scientists, we always look for natural explanations for weird events. However, if there is not enough evidence or the event cannot be explained by current theories, we may consider alternative hypotheses.

4. What role does skepticism play in investigating something weird?

Skepticism is an essential part of the scientific process. As scientists, we question our own and others' observations and conclusions, and we always strive to find evidence to support any claims.

5. Is it possible for something weird to have a supernatural or paranormal explanation?

While science focuses on natural explanations, we cannot rule out the possibility of supernatural or paranormal explanations entirely. However, we require substantial evidence to support such claims.