Why can't one metre be more than one metre?

In summary, according to the person speaking, it is impossible for there to be more than one metre in a 100cm, because that would mean that the system of measurement would have to be changed.
jomsur
Hello,

Recently, I have been trying to work on some philosophy that I am developing, and the subject of measurement has come up.

My question goes a bit like this:
Suppose that it turned out that when you measure point A to point B as exactly 100cm (one metre), there are actually three invisible centimetres (just an example number) in that 100cm. Therefore you would still be using the standard decimal system as reference, as it would still be described as a metre, but there are actually three extra centimetres so that you call it 103cm.

I have been told that this is not possible, and the reason I was given is: "one metre is one metre, it can't be 103 cm unless you were to change the whole system."

What I then tried to say, is that what if measurements of length actually measured matter to some degree. For example, we can say that we are measuring the length of matter from point A to point B. What if there was an extra 3cm of matter that we hadn't accounted for?

I got the same answer: that this would be impossible because a metre is a metre.

Can people at the physics forums explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
jomsur said:
Suppose that it turned out that when you measure point A to point B as exactly 100cm (one metre), there are actually three invisible centimetres (just an example number) in that 100cm.
What does that mean?

DrClaude said:
What does that mean?
Philosophy.

If it doesn't make sense, why not?

jomsur said:
I have been trying to work on some philosophy
Even philosophers should stick with logic whenever possible. ##1=1## but ##1\ne 1.03##. It doesn't matter if you are talking about meters or seconds or apples or pure numbers.

Beyond simply stating the facts, there is not much we can discuss within the rules of the forum. So the thread is closed

1. Why is one metre always equal to one metre?

The definition of a metre is a unit of length that is equal to 100 centimetres or approximately 39.37 inches. This measurement is based on the distance that light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second. Therefore, one metre will always be equal to one metre because it is a standardized unit of measurement.

2. Can one metre ever be more than one metre?

No, one metre can never be more than one metre. The definition of a metre is a specific measurement that cannot be altered or changed. It is a constant value that is used in scientific calculations and experiments. If something is measured to be more than one metre, it is not considered a metre according to the standardized definition.

3. What happens if a measurement is slightly more or less than one metre?

If a measurement is slightly more or less than one metre, it is still considered to be one metre. The definition of a metre allows for a small margin of error, usually no more than 0.2 millimetres. This allows for slight variations in the measurement due to human error or equipment limitations. However, if a measurement is significantly more or less than one metre, it may be considered invalid and require re-measurement.

4. Is one metre the same everywhere in the world?

Yes, one metre is the same everywhere in the world. The International System of Units (SI) is a globally accepted system of measurement, and the definition of a metre is a part of this system. Therefore, one metre is a standardized unit of measurement that is recognized and used by scientists all over the world.

5. Why is one metre considered a base unit of measurement?

One metre is considered a base unit of measurement because it is one of the seven fundamental units in the SI system. These base units are used to define all other units of measurement. One metre is defined as the base unit of length, and other units such as centimetres, kilometres, and miles are derived from this base unit. This allows for a consistent and standardized system of measurement to be used in scientific research and experimentation.