Why can't I substitute a Laplace transform into an integration?

In summary, substituting a Laplace transform into an integration is not possible because these two operations are fundamentally different. The Laplace transform and integration are related in that the former can be used to solve certain differential equations that involve integration. However, it cannot be used to solve general integration problems. The limitations of using a Laplace transform in integration include its applicability to only certain types of problems and the potential for an inexact solution. Other methods for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and special techniques for specific functions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the integral and desired level of accuracy.
hyphagon
Hi, I was given the attached question and have given my wrong attempt at the answer. I know how to work the answer out (also shown) but I would like to know why my first attempt is wrong.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Laplace question.png
    Laplace question.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you calculated u'(t) incorrectly. Second, when you said v=2/s2, you used the definite integral of dv/dt. You need to use the indefinite integral. You can't get rid of the t dependence.

Yup, I integrated it by mistake. That now makes it equal zero incidentally.

Awesome, Thanks for for that. Makes sense now.

Related to Why can't I substitute a Laplace transform into an integration?

1. Why is it not possible to simply substitute a Laplace transform into an integration?

Substituting a Laplace transform into an integration is not possible because the Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of frequency. Integration, on the other hand, is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve. These two operations are fundamentally different and cannot be interchanged.

2. How are the Laplace transform and integration related?

The Laplace transform and integration are related in that the Laplace transform can be used to solve certain differential equations that involve integration. However, they are not interchangeable and must be used in different contexts.

3. Can I use a Laplace transform to solve any integration problem?

No, the Laplace transform is only applicable to certain types of integration problems, specifically those involving differential equations. It cannot be used to solve general integration problems.

4. What are the limitations of using a Laplace transform in integration?

The limitations of using a Laplace transform in integration include the fact that it can only be used for certain types of integration problems and it may not always provide an exact solution. Additionally, the process of taking the inverse Laplace transform to obtain the solution may be complex and time-consuming.

5. Are there any other methods for solving integrals besides the Laplace transform?

Yes, there are other methods for solving integrals such as substitution, integration by parts, and using special integration techniques for specific types of functions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the integral and the desired level of accuracy.