Why can't I quote the quotations in the original post containing MathJax?

• Thread starter 12john
  • Start date
In summary: Initial QuoteResponding QuoteThe quotation buffer is only need, AFAICT, for cross-thread quoting.If you use the quotation buffer, then you will have all the necessary quotes (from different posts) at hand and be able to arrange them as needed.
12john
Please see the screenshot below. Why doesn't your website quote my 2 original quotations containing MathJax?

physicsforums.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You can only quote user A what has actually been said by user A, not the quotes of A quoting B. Firstly, the quotation says whom you quote, which would be inaccurate if you quoted more users at the same time. Secondly, how many nested quotations would be sufficient before it gets unreadable? The software only allows one quotation, no nested ones. However, if you want to quote multiple persons, then you can do it: gather every single quotation (done in the quotation buffer) and then insert them as needed. It's a bit more work to do, but possible.

Likes dextercioby
The software will allow you to nest quotes, you just have to do it the hard way entering the quote and /quote tags yourself while the editor is in BBCODE mode.

It's seldom a good idea, nearly always there are clearer and more concise ways of making your point. But if you have to... you can.

Likes DaveC426913
Yep. Nugat is correct. I occasionally manually nest quotes when it doesn't make sense otherwise.

fresh_42 said:
You can only quote user A what has actually been said by user A, not the quotes of A quoting B.
Indeed. I find this a huge frustration.

fresh_42 said:
Firstly, the quotation says whom you quote, which would be inaccurate if you quoted more users at the same time.
But the quoted quotation can show the attribution as it does if you insert it manually.

fresh_42 said:
Secondly, how many nested quotations would be sufficient before it gets unreadable?
I think the answer is surely greater than 0. @Greg Bernhardt could we experiment for a while?

fresh_42 said:
The software only allows one quotation, no nested ones. However, if you want to quote multiple persons, then you can do it: gather every single quotation (done in the quotation buffer) and then insert them as needed. It's a bit more work to do, but possible.
Its a lot more work to do: as well as gathering the quotations you also have to edit them down in the same way as in the primary message you are quoting. It is very tempting not to bother and just copy and paste the quoted text from the primary message and then it doesn't even get marked as a quotation, which is the worst position of all.

Initial Quote
Responding Quote
becomes

Initial Quote
Responding Quote
By moving the responding [ quote ] to the top, thus:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]Initial Quote[ /QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]Responding Quote[ /QUOTE ]

Nested quotes are a thing of nightmares that belong in the underworld! Keep them away!
Edit: The only thing worse are the users that quote the entirety of a multi-paragraph post without breaking it up to address each part one at a time.

Likes BillTre
fresh_42 said:
if you want to quote multiple persons, then you can do it: gather every single quotation (done in the quotation buffer) and then insert them as needed. It's a bit more work to do, but possible.
Much easier: select a piece of text you want to include as a quote in your post, then select “reply” instead of “quote” - it will be inserted with the appropriate quote tags at the current insertion point in your post.

The quotation buffer is only need, AFAICT, for cross-thread quoting.

• Informative
Likes BillTre
Nugatory said:
Much easier: select a piece of text you want to include as a quote in your post, then select “reply” instead of “quote” - it will be inserted with the appropriate quote tags at the current insertion point in your post.
I can't get this to work - no matter what I select in your post for instance it inserts the whole message but without @fresh_42's comment
Code:
[QUOTE="Nugatory, post: 6594910, member: 382138"]

The quotation buffer is only need, AFAICT, for cross-thread quoting.
[/QUOTE]

pbuk said:
I can't get this to work - no matter what I select in your post for instance it inserts the whole message but without @fresh_42 ’s comment
Sorry, I wasn’t describing a technique for nesting quotes (AFAIK, that can only be done by manually rearranging quote tags) but rather for multi quoting.

Nugatory said:
Sorry, I wasn’t describing a technique for nesting quotes (AFAIK, that can only be done by manually rearranging quote tags) but rather for multi quoting.
If you use the quotation buffer, then you will have all the necessary quotes (from different posts) at hand and be able to arrange them as needed. That was my argument with the buffer.

pbuk said:
I can't get this to work - no matter what I select in your post for instance it inserts the whole message but without @fresh_42's comment
When you do what @pbuk said, there are two reply buttons to choose from. For example as in this screen shot.

1643810441610.png

One thing I find very annoying; if the thread includes a Summary, the entire summary is included in every quote, regardless of what you highlighted. In my opinion, the entire Summary feature was a bad idea and should be removed.

Likes DaveC426913
By the way, the necessity of quoting nested quotations is only due to a bad style. It results from the fact, that the quotation was sloppy and written with laziness.
The Earth is flat.
I do not agree.
You do not agree with what? Why can't you say it in your own words?
The Earth is flat.
I do not agree with a flat earth.
Or what is usually done in texts:
A said:
The Earth is not flat.
I do not agree [flat earth].
It is the unreferenced statements that make nesting necessary. It often occurs when we use words like this or that, him, her, or them, or similar unspecific references. Avoid them [unspecified references], and there will be no need for nested quotations.

Nugatory said:

fresh_42 said:
If you use the quotation buffer, then you will have all the necessary quotes (from different posts) at hand and be able to arrange them as needed. That was my argument with the buffer.
Kind of off topic, but I've only just figured out how to use the quote buffer from this thread (using the two posts that twigged the necessary neurons!). So, thank you, @12john, if nothing else, you've helped me out.

Now, how to nest quotes? Hmmm...

Melbourne Guy said:
Now, how to nest quotes? Hmmm...
Switch to BB mode. If you click on the symbol [ ] you will see the source code, i.e. letters only. It should look like

[QUOTE="Nugatory, post: 6594916, member: 382138"]
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="fresh_42, post: 6594930, member: 572553"]
[/QUOTE]

and you can cut and paste the texts. Don't forget to switch back to the usual mode by clicking [ ] again. The other icons are disabled in BB mode.

• Informative
Likes Melbourne Guy

1. Why is it important to use MathJax when quoting equations in a scientific post?

MathJax is a tool that allows for the display of mathematical equations and symbols in a readable and consistent format across different devices and browsers. This is crucial in scientific discussions, where precision and accuracy are essential.

2. Can I use other formatting options instead of MathJax when quoting equations?

No, it is not recommended to use other formatting options when quoting equations in a scientific post. MathJax is the standard tool used for displaying equations and ensures that the equations are correctly rendered for all readers.

3. How do I use MathJax to quote equations in a post?

To use MathJax, you need to enclose the equation in dollar signs ($). For example, to display the equation x + y = z, you would write $x + y = z$. This will render the equation in a format that is easily readable by all readers.

4. Why is my MathJax not working when I quote equations in my post?

If your MathJax is not working, it could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure you have properly enclosed the equation in dollar signs. Additionally, check if you have enabled MathJax in your browser settings. If the issue persists, it could be due to a problem with the MathJax server.

5. Can I quote equations from other sources using MathJax?

Yes, you can quote equations from other sources using MathJax. However, it is important to properly cite the source and give credit to the original author. Also, make sure to double-check the equation for accuracy and any necessary adjustments before quoting it in your post.