Michael's question at Yahoo Answers involving L'Hôpital's rule

In summary, the correct procedure to solve this so far is:Y= Tan(x)^xlnY=xlnTan(x)1/tan(x)? Which would be 1/tan(0) and thus indefinite.Help? :3 (thanks in advance)Here is the original question:How to Find Lim x -> 0 of Tan(x)^x with the L'Hopital Rule? - Yahoo! AnswersWe are given a limit to evaluate, so let's assume it exists, and write:$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\tan^x(x)=L$Take the natural logarithm of both sides:$\displaystyle \ln\left(\lim_{
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
How to Find Lim x -> 0 of Tan(x)^x with the L'Hopital Rule?
I'm helping a friend out on his Calculus homework and I'm dumbfounded on this problem. I know that the correct procedure to solve this so far is:

Y= Tan(x)^x
lnY=xlnTan(x)

Then 1/tan(x)? Which would be 1/tan(0) and thus indefinite.
Help? :3 (thanks in advance)

Here is the original question:

How to Find Lim x -> 0 of Tan(x)^x with the L'Hopital Rule? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link to this topic so the OP can find my response.

We are given a limit to evaluate, so let's assume it exists, and write:

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\tan^x(x)=L$

Take the natural logarithm of both sides:

$\displaystyle \ln\left(\lim_{x\to0}\tan^x(x) \right)=\ln(L)$

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\ln\left(\tan^x(x) \right)=\ln(L)$

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}x\ln\left(\tan(x) \right)=\ln(L)$

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\frac{\ln\left(\cot(x) \right)}{\frac{1}{x}}=-\ln(L)$

Now we have the indeterminate form $\displaystyle \frac{\infty}{\infty}$, so application of L'Hôpital's rule yields:

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\frac{\csc(x)\sec(x)}{\frac{1}{x^2}}=-\ln(L)$

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\frac{x\sec(x)}{\frac{\sin(x)}{x}}=-\ln(L)$

Now, using the rule:

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to c}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\frac{\lim_{x\to c}f(x)}{\lim_{x\to c}g(x)}$

and the result:

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1$

we have:

$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}x\sec(x)=-\ln(L)$

$\displaystyle 0=\ln(L)$

$\displaystyle L=1$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
a Thousand Thanks

Thank you for answering my question! Your answer is clearer than a cloudless day, brighter than the sun, and cooler than the cold waters!

Again, many thanks for making our life easier with this clear explanation.

- Michael

Thank you for taking the time to register and join us here!:cool:

Related to Michael's question at Yahoo Answers involving L'Hôpital's rule

1. What is L'Hôpital's rule?

L'Hôpital's rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate indeterminate forms, where the limit of a function approaches either 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is named after the French mathematician Guillaume de l'Hôpital.

2. How is L'Hôpital's rule applied?

To apply L'Hôpital's rule, you must first rewrite the function in the form of a fraction, with the numerator and denominator as separate functions. Then, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator. Finally, take the limit of the new fraction as x approaches the specific value or limit given in the original problem.

3. What are some common mistakes when using L'Hôpital's rule?

One common mistake is not checking for indeterminate forms before applying the rule. It is also important to make sure that both the numerator and denominator are differentiable at the given limit. Lastly, it is important to take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator correctly.

4. When should L'Hôpital's rule be used?

L'Hôpital's rule should only be used when the limit of a function approaches 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for other types of limits, such as limits approaching ∞ - ∞ or 0 * ∞.

5. Are there any alternatives to L'Hôpital's rule?

Yes, there are alternative methods for evaluating indeterminate forms, such as using algebraic manipulation or series expansion. However, L'Hôpital's rule is often the most efficient and straightforward method.