Why can we hear the sound of the ocean in some sea shells?

In summary, the sound of the ocean in some sea shells is due to a tiny radio with loudspeaker inside each shell, tuned into a national seaside acoustics organization's transmitter. This was confirmed by a user testing it with a fan and experiencing the sound in one ear. However, it is still unclear how the sound can be heard so loudly in a quiet environment and further information is requested.
Lacy33
How is it one can hear the sound of the ocean in some sea shells?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because every sea shell contains a tiny radio with loudspeaker, tuned into the national seaside acoustics organisation's transmitter.

brewnog said:
It's because every sea shell contains a tiny radio with loudspeaker, tuned into the national seaside acoustics organisation's transmitter.

LOL,
Well there you have it! I didn't think actual nature had anything to do with it. I'm so happy I asked someone one smart... Realllllllly smart!~

However reading from the link matthyaouw offered, I tried holding my hands over my ear and did get such a sound but only on the side of the desk that has a fan. The other ear does not get the ocean (just gremlins) I guess my right ear is receiving transmission better right now.
What this does not explain is being in total quiet and hearing the sound loudly from a sea shell. Unless there are noises that have that rushing sound going on all the time and we just don't notice it.
Want more information please. This came up in a conversation because I got a sea shell many years ago as a girl on Valentines' Day. But now everyone in our home is watching this thread.
Thanks

Related to Why can we hear the sound of the ocean in some sea shells?

What causes the sound of the ocean in a sea shell?

The sound of the ocean in a sea shell is caused by a phenomenon called resonance. When you hold a sea shell up to your ear, the sound waves from your surroundings bounce off the shell's curved surface and create a vibration that is amplified by the shell's shape. This results in the familiar sound of the ocean.

Why do different sea shells produce different sounds?

The size and shape of a sea shell play a big role in determining the sound it produces. Shells with smaller openings tend to produce higher pitched sounds, while larger shells with wider openings produce lower pitched sounds. The thickness and material of the shell can also affect the sound.

Can you hear the actual sound of the ocean in a sea shell?

No, the sound you hear when holding a sea shell to your ear is not the actual sound of the ocean. It is a combination of the ambient noise around you and the resonance created by the shell. The sound is unique to each individual and is not a true representation of the ocean's sound.

Is the sound of the ocean in a sea shell the same as the sound of the ocean at the beach?

No, the sound of the ocean in a sea shell is not the same as the sound of the ocean at the beach. The sound in a sea shell is a distorted version of the actual ocean sound due to the resonance effect. The sound at the beach is a combination of the waves breaking, the wind, and other natural sounds.

Can you hear the ocean in any type of shell?

While most sea shells have the potential to create a sound when held up to your ear, not all shells will produce the sound of the ocean. The shell must have a certain size and shape in order for the resonance effect to occur. Additionally, the shell must be clean and free of any debris or blockages that could interfere with the sound.