Why can monotone functions only have jump discontinuities?

In summary: Or to take a more complicated case, Conway's base 13 function satisfies the conclusion of the intermediate value theorem even though it is nowhere continuous. Is there some kind of operation which "pushes up points" on the graph of this function which would make it increasing?Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lugita15
I'm trying to understand why monotone functions can only have jump discontinuities. I've seen formal proofs, but I don't find them intuitively convincing; my imagination can still conceive of an increasing function which is just a bunch of scattered points. To take a simple case, why can't you have a monotone function whose range only contains rational numbers, or only contains irrational numbers?

Or to take a more complicated case, Conway's base 13 function satisfies the conclusion of the intermediate value theorem even though it is nowhere continuous. Is there some kind of operation which "pushes up points" on the graph of this function which would make it increasing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
lugita15 said:
I'm trying to understand why monotone functions can only have jump discontinuities. I've seen formal proofs, but I don't find them intuitively convincing; my imagination can still conceive of an increasing function which is just a bunch of scattered points. To take a simple case, why can't you have a monotone function whose range only contains rational numbers, or only contains irrational numbers?
You can. And all discontinuities are jump discontinuities.

Or to take a more complicated case, Conway's base 13 function satisfies the conclusion of the intermediate value theorem even though it is nowhere continuous. Is there some kind of operation which "pushes up points" on the graph of this function which would make it increasing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

HallsofIvy said:
You can. And all discontinuities are jump discontinuities.
I thought a jump discontinuity occurs when both one-sided limits occur, but are unequal. It seems like for the function I'm describing, one-sided limits would not exist anywhere. Isn't there some theorem to the effect that, if f is discontinuous everywhere on some interval containing a, then the one-sided limits of f(x) as x goes to a cannot exist?

Also, I thought a function can only have countably many jump discontinuities, while the function I'm describing would be discontinuous over the entire real line.

OK, I just realized that my description of the function wasn't what I intended. So let me restate my question in this way: why can't you have a monotone function whose range contains only irrational numbers and contains all the irrational numbers in some interval (a,b)?

Related to Why can monotone functions only have jump discontinuities?

1. Why can monotone functions only have jump discontinuities?

Monotone functions are functions that either always increase or always decrease as the input increases. This means that the function does not change direction, and therefore cannot have any points where the function suddenly changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. In other words, monotone functions cannot have any points of non-continuity, such as a jump discontinuity.

2. Can monotone functions have other types of discontinuities besides jump discontinuities?

No, monotone functions can only have jump discontinuities. This is because monotone functions are always either increasing or decreasing, and therefore cannot have any points where the function is not defined or has a hole, which are other types of discontinuities.

3. How do jump discontinuities affect the behavior of a monotone function?

Jump discontinuities do not affect the overall behavior of a monotone function. They simply indicate that the function is not continuous at that point. This means that the function may have different values on either side of the point of discontinuity, but the overall trend of the function will still be either always increasing or always decreasing.

4. Are there any real-life examples of monotone functions with jump discontinuities?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of monotone functions with jump discontinuities. One common example is a step function, which represents a situation where a quantity suddenly changes at a specific point in time. Other examples include piecewise linear functions and some types of cumulative distribution functions.

5. Can monotone functions have infinite jump discontinuities?

Yes, monotone functions can have infinite jump discontinuities. This means that the function has a jump discontinuity at a point where the function value approaches positive or negative infinity. This can occur when there is a vertical asymptote in the function, such as in the case of a hyperbolic function.