Why aren't more people excited about experimental physics?

In summary, most people who are attracted to theoretical physics are not suited for it because they don't have the experience or skills required.
Frion
If I look at physics threads here, I can find hundreds of people who want to do theoretical physics but not so many want to do experimental. Why is that?

Most of the beauty in physics has come through experiments, after all. I especially liked the Cavendish experiment which was an awesome way of measuring G. But there was also that cool Millikan Oil drop experiment and many others that were awesome but probably aren't taught in every intro to physics class. Not everyone can come up with this stuff. Some of these experiments are so brilliant you wonder what our world would look like if those physicists had devoted their lives to inventing consumer technologies.

Is there something really unfun about experimental physics that I don't know about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of those people don't have much experience with physics, and don't know what will get you a good job. Theoretical sounds harder, thus it's more impressive and must be better. Also, they can think they're doing it on their own without having to conduct experiments, build or have access to any materials, or do 'real' science. While I did mostly theory/computation myself, I really wish I had gone into something experimental - it would be a lot easier to find a job, and it would pay better.

Frion said:
If I look at physics threads here, I can find hundreds of people who want to do theoretical physics but not so many want to do experimental. Why is that?
Because posters that are enamoured with theoretical physics seem to be more out of touch with reality and hence getting noticed more than posters enamoured with designing experiments. It's also easier daydreaming about coming up with more abstract theories than coming up with specific designs.

I think a lot of people have a rosy tinted view of theory. They believe it to be glamorous and can easily dream of themselves being a theorist and sitting around all day solving equations. Then, ofcourse, reality hits them and they realize they may not be suited to it after all. This reality check often occurs for 3 reasons:

1. They discover that theorists do a lot of very tough work that isn't, in the main, as exciting as it's made out to be.

2. They want to work on string theory and other potential GUT's, when infact most theoretical physicists work in other areas (quantum information/foundations, particle phenom, etc) and so their chances are quite small.

3. They awake from their dream in which they were a character in The Big Bang Theory.

I think most people, once they have a proper understanding of the scientific method, come to appreciate the importance (and often beauty) of experiment.

Frion said:
Is there something really unfun about experimental physics that I don't know about?

I blame Plato. If you read Plato he envisions a world in which the "theorists" are on top and theory is considered "deeper" and "more important." A lot of those attitudes have gotten filtered down through the ages.

In particular, English colonialism was structured on a world in which the rulers were "thinkers" and the "people that worked with their hands" were considered peasants.

Just because you're an experimentalist, does that mean that you can't theorize on your findings?

I've noticed the exact opposite at my school. Everybody is excited about experiments, and the majority of the professors are experimentalists.

Personally, I strongly dislike experiments. I understand why they're important, and some of the results are neat, but actually performing experiments usually makes me want to claw my own face off. I like sifting through the data taken by the experiment, but doing the experiment? Ugh, horrible.

eri said:
Most of those people don't have much experience with physics, and don't know what will get you a good job.

Theoretical physics can get you a very nice job, but I think the issue that people that often get attracted to theoretical physics want to avoid getting their "hands dirty" and that's what kills you if you look for work.

Also, they can think they're doing it on their own without having to conduct experiments, build or have access to any materials, or do 'real' science.

I think part of the reason I've ended up in good shape when it comes to jobs is that I'm a theorist, but I'm a "practical" theorist. Most of the work I did in graduate school was "getting the @#$@#$ code to work" which gets you a lot of the same issues that experimentalists run into.

I think the forum self-selects for theorists to an extent. If you're here that probably means you enjoy discussing the finer points of equations or theories which may not be hugely relevant to the day-to-day activities of an experimentalist. Personally, I'm in an experimental group, and I'm definitely the one who likes math the most and cares the most about theory in the group. I can't really imagine the others in my group hanging around on here for fun.

Even if experimental people come here for a bit, their questions tend not to get as fruitful answers because it's tedious to think about someone else's experimental issues, and often you need to know every last detail to figure out what the problem is, and it usually isn't anything too intellectually satisfying when you do.

Personally, the thing I like about being an experimentalist is how much variety is involved. One minute you're reading research papers and working through equations, and the next you might be lugging heavy equipment around or machining parts, or very painstakingly aligning optics, and then writing computer code. I can see why some would hate that, but I think it's nice to have a job that exercises so many different aspects of oneself.

Some people like reading novels and, perhaps, dabbling with a little writing. Others like tearing apart old TV sets and putting them back together again. People who float about in forums are readers and writers, and what are theoretical physicists but readers and writers?! The experimental physicist manques don't bother with long discussions in forums, they put together radio sets or soup up their motorbikes. So if you want to meet your kind, Mr Experimental Physicist in Embryo, get out of here and get down to the local electronics store or garage, or just start taking apart your computer and souping it up rather then using it as like a novel or a writing pad...

Interesting how much time Einstein and Feynman spent getting their hands dirty, though...

mal4mac said:
Some people like reading novels and, perhaps, dabbling with a little writing. Others like tearing apart old TV sets and putting them back together again. People who float about in forums are readers and writers, and what are theoretical physicists but readers and writers?! The experimental physicist manques don't bother with long discussions in forums, they put together radio sets or soup up their motorbikes.

Reading and writing are skills required by *any* scientist. Also, I kindly suggest you look up the definition of 'manque' and consider your words a little more carefully.

Personally, I avoid long pointless discussions involving silly thought experiments because they are a waste of my time.

Andy Resnick said:
Personally, I avoid long pointless discussions involving silly thought experiments because they are a waste of my time.

I agree. And I think most people here think that's how theoretical physicists spend their time.

I'm an experimenter, and I am writing a theory paper now. (So clearly its possible) My collaborators and I have worked out a way to translate experimental limits on one class of models into limits on another class of models, and in the process we have some useful (we hope!) suggestions on how experimental results should be reported to maximize the class of models they can be compared with.

Important? Maybe. An earth-shattering game changer? Clearly not. But this is how progress is made - one small step at a time. I can also say we have spent no time at all with "silly thought experiments". Most of our time is spent doing computations, both analytic and numeric.

mal4mac said:
The experimental physicist manques don't bother with long discussions in forums, they put together radio sets or soup up their motorbikes. So if you want to meet your kind, Mr Experimental Physicist in Embryo, get out of here and get down to the local electronics store or garage, or just start taking apart your computer and souping it up rather then using it as like a novel or a writing pad...

I don't think I've ever read a more condescending, rude, and flat out wrong post on this forum in 3+ years of lurking.

It's statements like this that cause people to shy away from experimental physics. Even in first year a number of my classmates had been conditioned to think that experimentalists are somehow a lesser form of physicist.

I'd hate to hear your enlightened opinion on engineers.

Last edited:

Related to Why aren't more people excited about experimental physics?

1. Why is experimental physics important?

Experimental physics is important because it allows us to understand the natural world and how it works. By conducting experiments, we can test theories and hypotheses, and gather evidence to support or refute them. This helps us to advance our knowledge and make new discoveries that can have practical applications.

2. What are the challenges in experimental physics?

There are several challenges in experimental physics, including designing and building complex equipment, ensuring accurate and precise measurements, and controlling for external factors that could affect the results. Additionally, experimentation often requires a significant amount of time, resources, and collaboration with other scientists.

3. Why do some people find experimental physics uninteresting?

Some people may find experimental physics uninteresting because it involves a lot of technical and mathematical concepts, which can be difficult to understand for those who are not familiar with them. Additionally, the results of experiments may not always be immediately applicable or easily understandable to the general public.

4. How does experimental physics contribute to other fields of science?

Experimental physics is a fundamental part of many other fields of science, such as astronomy, biology, chemistry, and engineering. The techniques and methods used in experimental physics can be applied to study a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of subatomic particles to the structure of the universe.

5. How can we make experimental physics more accessible and exciting for the general public?

One way to make experimental physics more accessible and exciting for the general public is through science communication and outreach efforts. This can include creating engaging and easy-to-understand explanations of experiments and their results, as well as involving the public in citizen science projects. Additionally, highlighting the real-world applications of experimental physics can help people see its relevance and importance in their daily lives.