Why are you corrupted or not corrupted?

• Thread starter lockecole
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of corruption and its relation to power, money, and charitable actions. The group agrees that many successful and wealthy people are corrupt, but also acknowledges that it takes a certain drive and competitiveness to achieve success in the business world. The conversation also brings up Bill Gates as an example, with some arguing that his wealth and intelligence do not necessarily make him a good person, while others praise his philanthropic efforts through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Overall, the group concludes that an obsession with winning and success is a common trait among successful businessmen, and that it is not surprising that intelligent and educated individuals who devote their time to making money are more likely to be successful in that pursuit.
lockecole
Why are you not corrupted?

Corruption could bring you easier power and money! Bill Gates is much more intelligent and much more educated than you. Is he trying to save the poor people? No way! The people who are trying to save the poor people can be as intelligent and educated as Bill Gates, but do they have the same power and money? No way! Is that coincidence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
omg! lol! the answer is contained in the question!

I don’t get it, are you implying that all rich people are corrupt, or people only get to riches by corruption, Or somehow people with material wealth tend to be less compassionate?

Have you heard of the Bill&Melinda(?) Gates fund?

i recall bill has donated billions and is planning to donate even more in the mere future.

Microburst said:
I don’t get it, are you implying that all rich people are corrupt, or people only get to riches by corruption, Or somehow people with material wealth tend to be less compassionate?

I mean that majority of the rich people are corrupted and that the majority of powerful people are corrupted too. Can you tell me why?

arildno said:
Have you heard of the Bill&Melinda(?) Gates fund?

True. The Bill & Melinda Gates fund sponsors several scholarships for high school students (which are very long btw, 22 pages and 8 essays).

http://www.gmsp.org

CronoSpark said:
i recall bill has donated billions and is planning to donate even more in the mere future.

Does not make him a nice guy. Charitable. Still the enemy.

franznietzsche said:
Does not make him a nice guy. Charitable. Still the enemy.
Billy donating a billion is like me donating a dollar. It's pathetic.

Born to Kill said:
Billy donating a billion is like me donating a dollar. It's pathetic.

Not really, his billion is capcble of being quite effective. Its a piddly portion of his wealth, sure, but its not really like you donating a dollar.

No, he's the enemy for his business practices and crap product.

franznietzsche said:
No, he's the enemy for his business practices and crap product.

Put yourself in his position for a minute. Are you telling me that, as a founder of a company, you wouldn't do whatever you could to make your company profitable and successful? Point out a situation where Gates or MS has broken the laws of any country in their business pracitces. Is he a nice guy? Not when it comes to running his business. But that's how it shoud be.

The problem is, society has a habit of targetting people who have made a success of themselves. It's just envy. The fact of the matter is that Bill Gates has developed his own, successful business. Whether his products are sound or not is out of the question, they sell, and his business works. Good on him, I say, it takes a lot of balls to be an entrepreneur.

lockecole said:
Corruption could bring you easier power and money! Bill Gates is much more intelligent and much more educated than you. Is he trying to save the poor people? No way! The people who are trying to save the poor people can be as intelligent and educated as Bill Gates, but do they have the same power and money? No way! Is that coincidence?

You need to pick a better example. Bill Gates donates more money to charity than anyone in the world.

Does he donate a larger percentage of his wealth to charity than anyone else? Don't know, but I kind of doubt it. I doubt the charities helped by his money really care.

However, you do have a point.

Intelligent, educated people who devote their time to helping the poor rarely have much power or money. They're too busy to make money. They have to spend their time selling their cause to those that do have the money to help. Then they have to spend their time turning that money into something that will help the poor and distributing it.

Intelligent, educated people who devote their time to money making enterprises are much more likely to have money. It's just as time consuming, but the end users give you money instead of thanks.

It's not coincidence. It's not even a surprising fact. You're most likely to be successful at things you actually devote time and effort to doing. But I wouldn't categorize it as corruption, either - although many businessmen are pretty cut-throat competitors, some corruptly so. An obsession with winning is a positive trait for business people, as long as they keep it legal.

In fact, an obsession with winning is a more common trait among successful businessmen than greed. Which is why so many people who experience success on the level of Bill Gates wind up donating so much of their money to charities. A lot are charitable people outside of a competitive environment. Plus, it puts the stamp of their victory on the world around them (for the more cynical among you).

Last edited:
brewnog said:
The problem is, society has a habit of targetting people who have made a success of themselves. It's just envy. The fact of the matter is that Bill Gates has developed his own, successful business. Whether his products are sound or not is out of the question, they sell, and his business works. Good on him, I say, it takes a lot of balls to be an entrepreneur.

We should be applauding him. He's the computer geek who made it in a world full of the schmoozing, charismatic, popular kids who went to business school! I complain about his product, and call him evil when I run into trouble with his products, but I think he's actually a successful geek with a good heart...just not when it comes to business. Then again, there are a LOT of people who get a paycheck and support their families because of his business practices, which wouldn't happen if he was a bad businessman.

His charities do great things. And he doesn't just write checks for charity, he has actually traveled to 3rd world countries to see conditions for himself and to find out what they really need. It's not just about giving free computers to schools. Another notable thing his charity does is provide AIDS prevention education and assistance to countries facing the worst of the AIDS epidemic.

Moonbear:

Don't fool yourself too much about old Bill. It was his incredible business savvy that propelled him to fame and fortune, not his skill as a programmer. I agree with the sentiment though. It's always good to run into one of those 'cool' kids from high school detailing cars at the carwash.

I think the mistake some people are making here is assuming all rich people are corrupt. I think that's bull! Being rich doesn't make you corrupt, it just gives you more opportunities to become corrupt. If you deal fairly with other people, you're not corrupt, no matter how much money you have.

lockecole said:
Corruption could bring you easier power and money! Bill Gates is much more intelligent and much more educated than you. Is he trying to save the poor people? No way!

Have you heard of the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation? since I'm asking you probably haven't. Bill has contributed billions and has done a lot for some poor impoverished kid. One example is the recent vaccination for a thousand kids.

Related to Why are you corrupted or not corrupted?

1. Why do some scientists become corrupted?

There is no clear cut answer to this question, as corruption can stem from a variety of reasons. Some potential factors that may contribute to scientific corruption include financial incentives, pressure to produce results, and personal biases. Additionally, the competitive nature of the field and the pressure to publish can also play a role in leading some scientists down a corrupt path.

2. What are the consequences of scientific corruption?

The consequences of scientific corruption can vary, but ultimately it can lead to a lack of trust in the scientific community and the validity of research findings. This can have widespread effects, such as hindering progress and potentially causing harm to individuals or society. In some cases, scientific misconduct can also result in legal consequences for the individual involved.

3. How can we prevent scientific corruption?

Preventing scientific corruption requires a multifaceted approach. This can include implementing strict ethical guidelines and regulations, promoting transparency and accountability, and fostering a culture of integrity within the scientific community. It is also important for individuals to actively practice ethical behavior and speak out against corruption when it is observed.

4. Are there any warning signs of scientific corruption?

There is no one definitive warning sign of scientific corruption, as it can manifest in different ways. However, some potential red flags may include a pattern of falsified data or results, conflicts of interest, and a lack of transparency in research methods or funding sources. It is important for individuals to be vigilant and report any suspicious behavior to prevent further corruption.

5. What is being done to address scientific corruption?

The scientific community and institutions have taken steps to address and prevent scientific corruption. This includes implementing stricter guidelines for research conduct, creating oversight committees, and increasing transparency and accountability measures. There are also ongoing efforts to raise awareness and educate individuals about ethical behavior in scientific research. However, combating scientific corruption is an ongoing and complex issue that requires continued effort from all stakeholders.