Why Are These Lines Perpendicular?

In summary, a line passing through a point P_0 with direction numbers [\frac{dx}{dt}, \frac{dy}{dt}, \frac{dz}{dt}] is perpendicular to a line passing through the same point with direction numbers [\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}] because the derivative of the composite function F(f(t),g(t),h(t)) is equal to the scalar product (inner product) of these two vectors. Since the derivative is set to zero and the original surface F(x,y,z) is also zero, the angle between the two lines must be 90 degrees, making them perpendicular.
EnchantedEggs
Hi all,

When you have a surface defined by [itex] F(x, y, z) = 0 [/itex] where [itex]x = f(t)[/itex], [itex]y= g(t)[/itex] and [itex]z= h(t)[/itex] and a point on this surface [itex] P_0 = (x_0, y_0, z_0) [/itex], could someone explain to me why a line through [itex] P_0 [/itex] with direction numbers [itex] [\frac{dx}{dt}, \frac{dy}{dt}, \frac{dz}{dt}] [/itex] is perpendicular to a line through [itex] P_0 [/itex] with direction numbers [itex] [\frac{\partial F}{dx}, \frac{\partial F}{dy}, \frac{\partial F}{dz}] [/itex]?

I'm having real trouble picturing it in my head, which means I'm struggling to understand why it is so.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use the Chain rule to calculate rhe derivative w.r.t t of the composite function F(f(t),g(t),h(t)). What is this derivative? How can it be interpreted in terms of scalar product (inner product)?
It must be assumed here that the curve (x,y,z)=(f(t),g(t),h(t)) lies on the surface F(x,y,z)=0.

Likes platetheduke
Well, the derivative wrt [itex] t [/itex] is: [tex] \frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{dz}{dt} [/tex] Setting this to zero and comparing it to the scalar product of the two vectors comprising the direction numbers would mean that the angle between them had to be 90 degrees, hence they are perpendicular... I guess it's ok to set the derivative to zero, since the original surface [itex] F(x,y,z) [/itex] is zero, right? So that all kinda makes sense to me. Yeah... Thanks! I think I've got it!

You got it :)

Related to Why Are These Lines Perpendicular?

1. Why are perpendicular lines important in geometry?

Perpendicular lines play a crucial role in geometry because they intersect at a right angle, making them useful for creating right triangles. This allows for the use of the Pythagorean theorem and other geometric principles to solve problems involving distance, area, and angles.

2. How do you know if two lines are perpendicular?

Two lines are perpendicular if they intersect at a right angle. This means that the slope of one line is the negative reciprocal of the slope of the other line. Another way to determine perpendicularity is by using the dot product of the lines' direction vectors, which will equal zero if the lines are perpendicular.

3. What is the difference between parallel and perpendicular lines?

Parallel lines never intersect and have the same slope, while perpendicular lines intersect at a right angle and have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other. Parallel lines also have the same distance between them at all points, while perpendicular lines have varying distances between them.

4. Can two lines be both parallel and perpendicular?

No, two lines cannot be both parallel and perpendicular. Parallel lines have the same slope, while perpendicular lines have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other. These two conditions cannot be met simultaneously.

5. How are perpendicular lines used in real life?

Perpendicular lines are used in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and navigation. In architecture, perpendicular lines are used to create right angles and ensure structural stability. In engineering, perpendicular lines are used to create precise angles and measurements. In navigation, perpendicular lines are used to determine the direction of travel and to plot courses on maps.