Why Are There More Solutions for A^2-A-6I=0?

In summary, a question asks to verify an equation involving a 2x2 matrix and identity matrix. The question also provides two examples of matrices that satisfy the equation. However, the person asking the question tried a different approach and found more solutions, but was confused as to why there are more than two solutions. The expert explains that the property that allows for this in real numbers does not apply to matrices.
Jest3r
Thanks in advance for your help (and sorry about the lack of Latex...I didn't know how to type matrices in that format!)

The textbook question itself is quite straightforward:
Verify that A^2 - A - 6I = 0, given that A is a 2x2 matrix. (I is the identity matrix)

It then goes on to provide two examples of A which satisfy that equation.

However, I tried to 'play around' with the question. Since we know that AI = A, and I^2 = I, i changed the equation to:
A^2 -AI - 6I = 0.
This can then be factored into:
(A-3I)(A+2I) = 0.

However, there are more solutions of 'A' that solve the equation (the ones the textbook provided). My question is...why are there more than 2 solutions? Where have I gone wrong in my reasoning? (I'm self teaching myself Linear Algebra, so I dont' have a teacher to ask about this).

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Very creative! The problem is that the product of two matrices being zero does not imply that either of the matrices is zero. Put your examples into your factorization and you'll see this is so.

Dick said:
Very creative! The problem is that the product of two matrices being zero does not imply that either of the matrices is zero. Put your examples into your factorization and you'll see this is so.

THanks for the prompt reply, but I'm not sure I still understand.
From the factorization, I get the solutions A = 3I, and A = -2I (and they happen to satisfy the equation). However, there are solutions the aforementioned ones that also work. How can there be more than two solutions to a quadratic equation?

Edit: An example of the solutions the textbook provides is Row 1 (A) = [2 2], Row 2(A)= [2 -1]. (2x2 matrix, sorry for formatting again!)

Last edited:
I told you. When you are saying (x-A)(x-B)=0 implies x=A or x=B, the reason you can do this is that (x-A)(x-B)=0 implies (x-A)=0 or (x-B)=0 IN THE REAL NUMBERS. Matrices don't have this property. (x-A)(x-B)=0 does not imply that x-A=0 or x-B=0 for matrices.

Related to Why Are There More Solutions for A^2-A-6I=0?

1. What is the Matrix Conceptual Problem?

The Matrix Conceptual Problem is a theoretical issue in the field of mathematics and computer science that explores the limitations and complexities of representing and manipulating data through matrices.

2. Why is the Matrix Conceptual Problem important?

The Matrix Conceptual Problem is important because it challenges our understanding of how data is organized and processed, and has practical implications for fields such as data analysis, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.

3. What are some common applications of the Matrix Conceptual Problem?

Some common applications of the Matrix Conceptual Problem include image and signal processing, network analysis, and data compression. It also has implications for areas such as computer graphics, economics, and physics.

4. How is the Matrix Conceptual Problem being addressed?

The Matrix Conceptual Problem is being addressed through ongoing research and development in the fields of mathematics and computer science. This includes the development of new algorithms and techniques for working with matrices, as well as the exploration of alternative data structures.

5. What are some potential solutions to the Matrix Conceptual Problem?

Some potential solutions to the Matrix Conceptual Problem include the use of higher-dimensional data structures, such as tensors, and the development of more efficient algorithms for matrix operations. Additionally, advancements in quantum computing may offer new solutions to this problem in the future.