Why Are Swap Gates Used in Quantum Fourier Transform Circuits?

In summary: It should be 9/N frequency instead of 7/N frequency. And yes, the qubits in the example would read 01001 = 9 when reversed. In summary, the QFT output has the qubits in reverse order to the desired output. This is because it switches from big-endian bits to little-endian bits, matching the definition of the discrete Fourier transform. Swapping the order of qubits is not necessary, but it makes it easier to understand and match with the usual definition. The example of 10010 corresponds to the 9/N frequency when reversed.
jimmycricket
I'm currently working through Nielsen & Chuang's section on the circuit design for implementing the QFT. I'm confused as to why swap gates are used in the model to swap the order of qubits. Heres what I'm looking at http://www.johnboccio.com/research/quantum/notes/QC10th.pdf page 247 figure 5.1
Can anybody help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jimmycricket said:
I'm currently working through Nielsen & Chuang's section on the circuit design for implementing the QFT. I'm confused as to why swap gates are used in the model to swap the order of qubits. Heres what I'm looking at http://www.johnboccio.com/research/quantum/notes/QC10th.pdf page 247 figure 5.1
Can anybody help?

Here's a blog post about the QFT with some puzzles in a circuit simulator.

The basic reason is that the QFT's output has the qubits in the reverse order of what you typically want. It switches you from big-endian bits to little-endian bits (or vice versa), so that the amplitude of the state 10010 corresponds to the 7/N frequency instead of the 18/N frequency (or vice-versa).

You don't have to swap them back into the right order, it just makes it easier to think about the QFT when used as a tool because you're keeping the endian-ness consistent. It makes the result match the usual definition of the discrete Fourier transform, where F(1) corresponds to the lowest non-zero frequency (instead of what F(N-1) corresponds to).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jimmycricket
Strilanc said:

The basic reason is that the QFT's output has the qubits in the reverse order of what you typically want. It switches you from big-endian bits to little-endian bits (or vice versa), so that the amplitude of the state 10010 corresponds to the 7/N frequency instead of the 18/N frequency (or vice-versa).

You don't have to swap them back into the right order, it just makes it easier to think about the QFT when used as a tool because you're keeping the endian-ness consistent. It makes the result match the usual definition of the discrete Fourier transform, where F(1) corresponds to the lowest non-zero frequency (instead of what F(N-1) corresponds to).

Thats cleared that up, Thanks

Strilanc said:

Do you mean the 9/N frequency not 7/N. Am I right in saying the qubits in your example reversed would read 01001=9?

jimmycricket said:
Do you mean the 9/N frequency not 7/N. Am I right in saying the qubits in your example reversed would read 01001=9?

Yeah, my mistake.

Related to Why Are Swap Gates Used in Quantum Fourier Transform Circuits?

1. What is the Quantum Fourier Transform (QFT)?

The Quantum Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation used in quantum computing to transform a quantum state from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is the quantum equivalent of the classical Fourier Transform and is essential for many quantum algorithms.

2. How does the Quantum Fourier Transform work?

The Quantum Fourier Transform works by applying a series of quantum gates to a quantum state, resulting in a new state that is represented in the frequency domain. The gates used in the QFT include the Hadamard gate, the phase gate, and the controlled phase gate.

3. What are the applications of the Quantum Fourier Transform?

The Quantum Fourier Transform has many applications in quantum computing, including in quantum error correction, quantum simulation, and quantum cryptography. It is also used in algorithms such as Shor's algorithm for factoring large numbers and Grover's algorithm for database search.

4. What are the differences between the Quantum Fourier Transform and the classical Fourier Transform?

The Quantum Fourier Transform and the classical Fourier Transform are similar in that they both transform a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. However, the QFT is performed on a quantum state, whereas the classical Fourier Transform is applied to a classical signal. Additionally, the QFT can provide exponential speedup compared to the classical Fourier Transform in certain applications.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations with the Quantum Fourier Transform?

One of the main challenges with the Quantum Fourier Transform is the implementation of the necessary quantum gates, which can be difficult to achieve in a physical quantum system. Additionally, the QFT can be susceptible to errors and noise in the quantum system, which can affect the accuracy of the transformed state. However, ongoing research and advancements in quantum computing are addressing these challenges and limitations.