Quantum Fourier Transform circuit

In summary: QFT can be realized using just Hadamard and controlled rotation gates, and why swap gates are used to reverse the order of qubits. In summary, the QFT algorithm transforms the state of a quantum system from one basis to another, and it can be achieved using Hadamard and controlled rotation gates, with the help of swap gates to reverse the order of qubits.
jimmycricket
I'm having a very hard time understanding how the QFT can be realized using just the Hadamard and controlled rotation gates. Furthermore, I cannot see why swap gates are used to reverse the order of the qubits. I'm embarrassed that don't have much by way of any attempt to show here since I am so stumped by this but I can set up a scenario. Say we wish to perform the transformation on a 3 qubit system in the superposition state (omitting normalization factors)
[itex]\sum\limits_{x=0}^7|{x}\rangle= |{000}\rangle+|{001}\rangle+|{010}\rangle+...+|{111\rangle}=|{1}\rangle+|{2}\rangle+...+|{7}\rangle[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I understand your confusion about using only Hadamard and controlled rotation gates to realize quantum Fourier transform (QFT) and why swap gates are used to reverse the order of qubits. Let me explain it in more detail.

Firstly, let's understand the concept of superposition and entanglement. In a quantum system, qubits can exist in multiple states at the same time, known as superposition. This allows for a greater range of possibilities and allows for more complex calculations to be performed. Entanglement, on the other hand, is a phenomenon where qubits become correlated with each other, even when separated by great distances. This means that the state of one qubit can affect the state of the other qubit, no matter how far apart they are.

Now, let's look at the QFT algorithm. It is a way to transform the state of a quantum system from one basis to another. In the case of a 3 qubit system, the basis states are |0⟩,|1⟩,|2⟩,...,|7⟩. The QFT algorithm transforms these basis states into the state |{0}\rangle+|{1}\rangle+...+|{7}\rangle, which is known as the Fourier basis. This transformation is essential for many quantum algorithms, such as Shor's algorithm for factoring large numbers.

To perform this transformation, we need to use Hadamard and controlled rotation gates. Hadamard gate is used to create superposition, while controlled rotation gates are used to entangle qubits. These two gates, when used together, can create any desired transformation. In the case of QFT, these gates are used to create the superposition of all basis states and entangle them in a specific way to produce the Fourier basis.

Now, why do we need to use swap gates to reverse the order of qubits? This is because in the QFT algorithm, the order of the qubits is important. The first qubit represents the most significant bit (MSB), while the last qubit represents the least significant bit (LSB). In order to perform calculations on these qubits, we need to reverse the order so that the MSB is at the end and the LSB is at the beginning. This is where the swap gates come in. They simply swap the positions of qubits, allowing us to perform calculations on the correct qubits.

I hope this explanation helps

Related to Quantum Fourier Transform circuit

1. What is a Quantum Fourier Transform circuit?

A Quantum Fourier Transform (QFT) circuit is a quantum computing circuit that transforms a quantum state into another quantum state using the principles of the Fourier transform. It is an essential component in many quantum algorithms, including Shor's algorithm for factoring large numbers.

2. How does a Quantum Fourier Transform circuit work?

A Quantum Fourier Transform circuit works by applying Hadamard gates and controlled-phase gates to a set of qubits in a specific order. The Hadamard gates create superpositions of states, while the controlled-phase gates introduce relative phases between the states. This results in a quantum state that is the Fourier transform of the input state.

3. What are the applications of a Quantum Fourier Transform circuit?

A Quantum Fourier Transform circuit has many applications in quantum computing, particularly in quantum algorithms for tasks such as factorization, discrete logarithms, and data compression. It is also used in quantum simulations of quantum systems and quantum error correction.

4. Are there any limitations to Quantum Fourier Transform circuits?

One limitation of Quantum Fourier Transform circuits is that they are sensitive to noise and errors in the quantum hardware. This can lead to incorrect results or a loss of coherence in the quantum state. Additionally, the number of qubits needed to perform a QFT increases exponentially with the size of the input, making it challenging to implement for large inputs.

5. How is a Quantum Fourier Transform circuit different from a classical Fourier Transform?

A Quantum Fourier Transform circuit differs from a classical Fourier Transform in that it operates on quantum states instead of classical signals. This allows for the manipulation of multiple states simultaneously, resulting in much faster computation times. Additionally, the QFT can handle complex numbers, whereas the classical Fourier Transform can only handle real numbers.