Why are so many prison inmates in America gay?

• Thread starter stickythighs
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the overrepresentation of homosexuals in the prison population in America. The participants question the validity of the statistic and suggest that stigmatization and lack of opportunities for employment may contribute to this phenomenon. However, one participant argues that being in prison does not make someone a homosexual, and that it is more about the need for physical contact. The conversation ends with a disagreement over the source and prevalence of discrimination against homosexuals in the workplace.
stickythighs
I've heard and read several times in my life that approximately 50% of prison inmates in America are gay. However, only 5-10% of Americans are gay. Why are so homosexuals so overrepresented in the prison population in America?

I wonder if stigmatization contributes to this.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
stickythighs said:
I've heard and read several times in my life that approximately 50% of prison inmates in America are gay. However, only 5-10% of Americans are gay. Why are so homosexuals so overrepresented in the prison population in America?

I wonder if stigmatization contributes to this.

What do you think?

Humans are adaptive.

I doubt they would remain gay if they were let out into the public and could interact with women again.

More importantly, they don't go in gay, so they aren't homosexuals by choice.

WarPhalange said:
I doubt they would remain gay if they were let out into the public and could interact with women again.

More importantly, they don't go in gay, so they aren't homosexuals by choice.

Whether one is gay or straight is immutable. It's not a choice. They do go in gay.

Man, you need to spend your time on more constructive thoughts...:rolleyes:

I'd venture that homosexuality despite the availability of members of the opposite sex is a very different behavior than homosexuality without their availability.

- Warren

chroot said:
I'd venture that homosexuality despite the availability of members of the opposite sex is a very different behavior than homosexuality without their availability.

- Warren

Agreed, I read a story about a man's prison life. He said you get so lonely and sex starved that most men that ingage in prison sex aren't "gay" and wouldn't be if they were released. The need for physical contact is so great they are "forced" into it.

I have never had a girlfriend. I still have never felt attracted to a man. Explain.

stickythighs said:
I have never had a girlfriend. I still have never felt attracted to a man. Explain.

Have you been constrained in small cell for 20 years. It's more about the need for physical contact than gender.

Because an inmate might choose to temporarily have same gender sex does not make them a homosexual. The closest tag would be "bisexual, but it's likely to only be a way to get sexual gratification while locked up. Not their natural way of being.

stickythighs said:
Whether one is gay or straight is immutable. It's not a choice. They do go in gay.

Do you have any sources for this?

stickythighs said:

Based on your previous posts, I'd venture to say you're a pretty weird guy. Maybe you're asexual?

I think that the stigmatization of homos leads to them being greatly overrepresented in prison. Here's a simplistic example: Few men are willing to knowingly hire a homosexual for a job. Few men want to work with a homosexual man. Therefore, homosexual men have a hard time making money. Therefore, homosexual men might rob someone since it's harder for them to get money from legitimate work.

Yeah, yeah. Some men would knowingly hire a homosexual man for a job. Some men wouldn't mind working with a homosexual. The homosexual could stay in the closet or get hired without the boss knowing. blah blah...My point is that this could happen sometimes. There's a tendency for homosexuals to run into these types of problems more than straight men, IMHO.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you been constrained in small cell for 20 years. It's more about the need for physical contact than gender.

Your conclusion is premature.

I was a virgin until I was 26. I've never kissed a girl. I still have never felt attracted to a man.

Evo said:
Because an inmate might choose to temporarily have same gender sex does not make them a homosexual. The closest tag would be "bisexual, but it's likely to only be a way to get sexual gratification while locked up. Not their natural way of being.

Then why don't they use their hands instead?

To me at least, my stigmatization theory is more compelling.

WarPhalange said:
Do you have any sources for this?

Never in my life have I heard any man or woman say that they turned gay because they were involuntarily celibate.

Based on your previous posts, I'd venture to say you're a pretty weird guy. Maybe you're asexual?

I'm straight.

stickythighs said:
I was a virgin until I was 26. I've never kissed a girl.

She was a butterface, huh?

Your theory is wrong.

Most criminals are not gay. While there might be some "good ol' boys" out there that would illegally descriminate in hiring, I don't see it in large businesses. At my old company (one of the world's largest), the VP I worked for was gay, all but one of the men I worked with were gay, and these are all people making 6 figure incomes.

It's a conspiracy!

THEY are the ones injecting rainbows underground, causing them ooze up and show up in our sprinklers!

WarPhalange said:
She was a butterface, huh?

No; a prostitute.

Evo said:
Your theory is wrong.

Most criminals are not gay. While there might be some "good ol' boys" out there that would illegally descriminate in hiring, I don't see it in large businesses.

While there might be some large companies that would not illegally discriminate in hiring, I don't see it in the majority of businesses.

Evo said:
While there might be some "good ol' boys" out there that would illegally descriminate in hiring, I don't see it in large businesses. At my old company (one of the world's largest), the VP I worked for was gay, all but one of the men I worked with were gay, and these are all people making 6 figure incomes.

Don't you think your old company's being one of the world's largest might skew the your sample there? I mean, do most homosexuals in America living within distance to commute to this company?

WarPhalange said:

Nooo, animals ! :bugeye:

Evo said:
Your theory is wrong.

Most criminals are not gay. While there might be some "good ol' boys" out there that would illegally descriminate in hiring, I don't see it in large businesses. At my old company (one of the world's largest), the VP I worked for was gay, all but one of the men I worked with were gay, and these are all people making 6 figure incomes.

Furthermore, even if the homosexual man can get hired, his co-workers are going to treat him like he's toilet paper because he is gay. Therefore, he might not want to work at a legitimate job. Therefore, he might be more inclined to rob someone.

Do you see what I mean?

stickythighs is a troll, folks.

- Warren

Evo said:
Most criminals are not gay.

I don't think most criminals are gay.

I think that a higher percentage of the criminal population was born gay compared to the non-criminal population.

I think that after being locked in a concrete box with nothing but men for years will make anyone gay. Including you stickythighs or as some might call you, stickycheeks.

I watched a psychological thriller movie in which the guy was locked in a single room for 15 years and without any human contact.
It was really close to reality: he was really crazy after sex.

Hmm, what's that film called? I might want to buy it.

stickythighs said:
Furthermore, even if the homosexual man can get hired, his co-workers are going to treat him like he's toilet paper because he is gay. Therefore, he might not want to work at a legitimate job. Therefore, he might be more inclined to rob someone.

Do you see what I mean?
We've been very lenient with you, but the offensive trolling has gone far enough.

Related to Why are so many prison inmates in America gay?

1. Why do some people believe that there are a high number of gay inmates in America?

There is a common misconception that there are a high number of gay inmates in America due to the prevalence of sexual assault and rape in prisons. However, this belief is not supported by scientific evidence. In fact, the majority of sexual assaults in prisons are committed by heterosexual inmates.

2. Are there any studies or research that support the idea that there are a high number of gay inmates in America?

No, there is no credible research or studies that support the idea that there are a high number of gay inmates in America. In fact, research has shown that the percentage of self-identified gay and bisexual inmates is similar to the percentage in the general population.

3. Does being gay make someone more likely to end up in prison?

No, being gay does not make someone more likely to end up in prison. The factors that contribute to someone becoming incarcerated are complex and varied, and sexual orientation is not one of them.

4. Can being in prison cause someone to become gay?

No, being in prison cannot cause someone to become gay. Sexual orientation is a deeply ingrained aspect of a person's identity and cannot be changed or influenced by external factors.

5. How can we address the issue of sexual assault in prisons without perpetuating harmful stereotypes about gay inmates?

We can address the issue of sexual assault in prisons by implementing comprehensive and evidence-based prevention and response programs. It is also important to challenge and reject harmful stereotypes about gay inmates and instead focus on creating a safe and respectful environment for all inmates. Additionally, addressing the systemic issues within the prison system, such as overcrowding and lack of resources, can help reduce the occurrence of sexual assault and improve the overall well-being of inmates.