Why Are Riemann Sums Confusing Without Function Curves?

The big sigma, $\sum$ is being used in two different roles, once as a summation notation, and once as a prefix for the sequence of Riemann sums. Also, the use of i is poor form, as it was not given any definition.In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with solving a Riemann sum question using sigma notation and only the width and height of the rectangles provided. They are confused by the given solution and prefer using the formula ∑i = n(n+1)/2 instead. This solution is also critiqued for its poor presentation and use of notation.
guynoone
Alright, I started doing Riemann sums and I am ripping my hair out in frustration. I just can't wrap my head around how I'm supposed to do it, and my woefully vague textbook isn't helping either. I'm wondering how I'm supposed to solve a Riemann sum question with sigma notation (no limits), and with only the width and height of the rectangles provided (no curve function). I used the image as an example. I have absolutely no clue how/why they get the 30 and 27. If anyone could provide a step by step explanation, it would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

guynoone said:
… I have absolutely no clue how/why they get the 30 and 27.

Hi guynoone! Welcome to PF! :smile:

ok … for some reason, the 0th Riemann sum, from 1 to n, is defined as being 1/n times the ∑, and the 1st Riemann sum as 1/n² times ∑.

In this case, you're expecting 10/3 times the 0th sum, and 1/3 times the 1st, but this particular definition means that you multiply the 0th one by 9, = 10/3 * 9 = 30, and the 1st one by 81, = 81 * 1/3 = 27. :smile:

(it isn't the only way of working out this problem … it's only really useful if you happen to have tables of Riemann sums :wink:

personally, i prefer to remember ∑i = n(n+1)/2)

Thanks for the answer. To be honest I still don't really get what is happening for the solution I posted, but I just plan on sticking to the ∑i = n(n+1)/2) method which is way better (they must be trying to confuse us on purpose with these identities!)

''ok … for some reason, the 0th Riemann sum, from 1 to n, is defined as being 1/n times the ∑, and the 1st Riemann sum as 1/n² times ∑.''

Little abuse of notation here, even though I'm sure tiny-tim understands the entire problem.
The 0th order term refers to a sum which involves [tex] i^0[/tex], or [tex] 1[/tex], a first order term involves [tex] i^1 = i [/tex], and so on. Writing [tex] \sum [/tex] without any explicit is common, but writing it without any arguments (summands) is not.
Actually, all that is done in this work a (very poor, in my opinion) condensation of the basic steps.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\sum_{i=1}^9 {\frac{10-i} 3} & = \frac 1 3 \sum_{i=1}^9 {(10-i)}\\
& = \frac 1 3 \left(\sum_{i=1}^9 10 - \sum_{i=1}^9 i \right) \\
& = \frac 1 3 \left( 10 \sum_{i=1}^9 1 - \sum_{i=1}^9 i \right)\\
& = \frac 1 3 \left(10 \cdot 9 - \frac{10\cdot 9}{2} \right) \\
& = \frac 1 3 \left(90 - 45\right) = \frac{45}{3} = 15
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Note that the formula

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n =\frac{n(n+1)} 2
[/tex]

was used, with [tex] n = 9 [/tex], was used.

As I indicated at the top of my post, I believe the solution for this problem (the one posted by the OP) is very poorly presented and typeset

Related to Why Are Riemann Sums Confusing Without Function Curves?

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by dividing the total area into smaller, simpler shapes and summing their areas.

2. How do you calculate a Riemann sum?

To calculate a Riemann sum, you need to divide the total area under the curve into smaller rectangles or trapezoids. Then, you calculate the area of each shape and add them together to get an approximation of the total area.

3. What is the difference between a left, right, and midpoint Riemann sum?

A left Riemann sum uses the left endpoint of each subinterval to calculate the height of the rectangles or trapezoids. A right Riemann sum uses the right endpoint, and a midpoint Riemann sum uses the midpoint of each subinterval. This affects the accuracy of the approximation.

4. Can Riemann sums be used for any type of function?

Yes, Riemann sums can be used for any type of function, as long as the function is continuous on the interval of integration.

5. What are some common challenges when using Riemann sums?

One common challenge is choosing an appropriate number of subintervals to get an accurate approximation of the total area. Another challenge is dealing with functions that have discontinuities or sharp changes, which can affect the accuracy of the Riemann sum.