Sum of powers limit via Riemann sums?

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses an excellent problem by lfdahl in the challenge questions and puzzles subforum, which involves calculating a limit using Riemann sums. The expert explains how Riemann sums can be used to approximate the area under the curve and provides a step-by-step solution to the problem. The expert also encourages lfdahl's interest in this approach and compliments their problem-solving skills.
MountEvariste
One of the many excellent problems by lfdahl in the challenge questions and puzzles subforum was recently:

https://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/prove-limit-23480.html​

My first idea was Riemann sums! I didn't succeed. So I ask, can this limit be calculated via Riemann sums?

P.S. I know how to solve this limit using other techniques; I'm more interested in this particular approach.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello lfdahl,

Thank you for sharing this interesting problem on the forum. I am always fascinated by the different approaches and techniques used to solve mathematical problems.

To answer your question, yes, this limit can be calculated using Riemann sums. Riemann sums are a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles. In this case, we can use Riemann sums to approximate the area under the curve of f(x) = x^2 between x = 0 and x = 1.

Let's start by dividing the interval [0,1] into n equal subintervals, each with a width of 1/n. This means that the endpoints of the subintervals are x1 = 0, x2 = 1/n, x3 = 2/n, and so on, until xn = 1. Now, we can use the midpoint of each subinterval as the height of our rectangles. This gives us the following Riemann sum:

S_n = (1/n) * [f(1/n/2) + f(2/n/2) + ... + f((n-1)/n/2)]

= (1/n) * [1/4n^2 + 2/4n^2 + ... + (n-1)/4n^2]

= (1/4n^3) * [1 + 2 + ... + (n-1)]

= (1/4n^3) * [(n-1)n/2]

= (n-1)/8n^2

As n approaches infinity, this Riemann sum approaches the desired limit of 1/8. Therefore, we have proven the limit using Riemann sums.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Keep up the great work in challenging our mathematical skills!

Related to Sum of powers limit via Riemann sums?

1. What is the Sum of Powers limit via Riemann sums?

The Sum of Powers limit via Riemann sums is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the limit of a sum of powers using the Riemann sum method. This method involves dividing a curve into smaller and smaller rectangles and calculating the area under the curve.

2. How is the Sum of Powers limit different from other types of limits?

The Sum of Powers limit is different from other types of limits because it involves calculating the limit of a sum of powers, rather than the limit of a single function. This method is particularly useful when dealing with complex curves and functions.

3. What are the applications of the Sum of Powers limit via Riemann sums?

The Sum of Powers limit via Riemann sums has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to approximate the area under a curve, calculate the volume of irregular objects, and solve differential equations.

4. What are the limitations of using the Sum of Powers limit via Riemann sums?

One of the limitations of using the Sum of Powers limit via Riemann sums is that it can be time-consuming and computationally intensive, especially for complex curves and functions. It also relies on the assumption that the curve can be divided into infinitely small rectangles, which may not always be possible.

5. How can I calculate the Sum of Powers limit via Riemann sums?

To calculate the Sum of Powers limit via Riemann sums, you will need to follow a specific procedure that involves dividing the curve into smaller and smaller rectangles, calculating the area of each rectangle, and then summing up all the areas to find the limit. This process can be done manually or using mathematical software.