Why are people so trusting of the government?

• News
  • Thread starter WarPhalange
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of trusting the government and whether excessive questioning is beneficial or not. One person argues that questioning every move the government makes is necessary, while another argues that it wastes time and distracts from real problems. The conversation also touches on the release of government documents and the importance of understanding public choice theory in understanding government actions. There is a mention of the Arrow-Black impossibility theorem and the concept of majority cycles in democracy. The conversation concludes with a discussion on rent-seeking behavior in politics and the objections to public choice theory.
LightbulbSun said:
It seems you're a bit paranoid.

Thanks, doctor.

If you're assuming conspiracies, then how can you trust the people around you?

I don't understand how you people can make such a huge jump in logic.

"You don't trust people who are very tempted with power and greed = you don't trust ANYBODY!"

It would be like me assuming since you let the airport security pat you down, you'll let ANYBODY perform a cavity search on you.

Physics news on Phys.org
WarPhalange said:
Thanks, doctor.

"You don't trust people who are very tempted with power and greed = you don't trust ANYBODY!"

It would be like me assuming since you let the airport security pat you down, you'll let ANYBODY perform a cavity search on you.

Let me ask you this, do you assume 99% of all world events are part of some conspiracy?

lisab said:
Reasonable people don't let the excellent be the enemy of the good. (For the record, I do not think Nader is excellent!) This is why Barr is only drawing in the single digits, even in very conservative states.

Progress comes in small steps.
Better to vote for someone you want and see them lose, than to vote for someone you don't want and see them win.

WarPhalange said:
My question is basically "Why?". Why trust them further than you can throw them?
Why would you not trust them? Afterall, the government is voted in: if the majority of the country does not trust a president (or senator, or whatever) then s/he wouldn't get in. Otherwise, it seems like you are being rather paranoid.

WarPhalange said:

Everyone on Earth is tempted by power and money. Its all just a matter of degree.

Now perhaps you see the entry into politics as being an indicator as to the level of power-hunger and greed a person has, but you can't put people into neat little boxes like that (for one thing, there really isn't much money to be made in politics for most politicians). And you can't put your friends and family into neat little boxes like that either. I have friends that I trust completely, but others that I wouldn't loan a dvd or money to (again) because I know I'd never see it again.
Heh, who do you think those guys are? You let airport security pat you down, you are letting just anyone pat you down.

Last edited:
LightbulbSun said:
Let me ask you this, do you assume 99% of all world events are part of some conspiracy?

When did I say that?

cristo said:
Why would you not trust them? Afterall, the government is voted in

So? How much do you know about either of these two candidates running today? They give a few speeches, maybe write a book, and have their friends vouch for them. Does that count as "knowing" them enough to trust them? Not in my book.
russ_watters said:
Everyone on Earth is tempted by power and money. Its all just a matter of degree.

Exactly. None of my friends and family are tempted to the degree that the politicians on top are. They have nothing to gain from backstabbing me if they were inclined to do so.

Now perhaps you see the entry into politics as being an indicator as to the level of power-hunger and greed a person has, but you can't put people into neat little boxes like that (for one thing, there really isn't much money to be made in politics for most politicians). And you can't put your friends and family into neat little boxes like that either. I have friends that I trust completely, but others that I wouldn't loan a dvd or money to (again) because I know I'd never see it again.

Sorry, you got it totally wrong. My stance is that normal people go into politics (and business), but that power corrupts, and that's why we need to be careful and make sure we know what our leaders are doing.

Friends and family are easier to trust because you know them better. You don't listen to a few speeches and then "vote" for someone to become your friend.

But hey, say one of your buddies who doesn't return stuff becomes a high-ranking politician. Would you trust him then?

Heh, who do you think those guys are? You let airport security pat you down, you are letting just anyone pat you down.

So you'd be okay with a random bum giving you a cavity search? Because that was my original question.

LightbulbSun said:

According to the Bible, yes.

Evo said:
...honestly his recent behavior has made me question if he's not egomaniacal. What is with his "logo", what is with his fake "presidential seal"? That display abroad. The 'note" in the wall in Jerusalem. :rolleyes: I'm afraid that he has one interest and one interest only, in becoming President and I don't know how out of touch with people he is becoming. His campaign people say they are are putting him in smaller towns to make him appear that he hasn't lost touch. BIG RED FLAG. Letterman was spot on in his criticism. I still wouldn't vote for McCain because I disagree with basic issues, but the choices are looking less desirable.
Johnny Mac agrees with you, logo and all:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's terrible, but I almost choked from laughing so hard.

Kind of an SNL commercial. Baaad McCain.

Obama actually has a logo in addition to the presidential seal, it's round with a blue arc above and three red arcs below. WTH is that?

Last edited:
Evo said:
That's terrible, but I almost choked from laughing so hard.
It's not the first time I see a video on youtube from somebody trying to make a serious point, and to my understanding just producing a hilarious video making precisely the opposite point. Indeed, it's very sad if that has actually been produced by the second candidate :tongue2:

humanino said:
It's not the first time I see a video on youtube from somebody trying to make a serious point, and to my understanding just producing a hilarious video making precisely the opposite point. Indeed, it's very sad if that has actually been produced by the second candidate :tongue2:
Well, McCain has a second career in comedy!

You have to admit that was well done. When they cut to Moses splitting the Red Sea, I spewed.

I can't stop watching it. :blushing:

WarPhalange said:
When did I say that?

I didn't say you said anything. I was asking you a question. Now answer it.

I think I have something real to point out that bothers me a little.

I get sick of hearing opinions from people who don't have facts and are not educated enough to have their opinions. People just joint the party and believe in the conspiracies because it is a popular movement. These people have no clue yet they act like know it all, all they really have are borrowed opinions. These people do a lot of automatic assuming of corruption without any specific knowledge.

I despise those type of people with strong opinions about things they are ignorant about. They strike me as arrogant jack@#$es. The reason why I hate it so much is that they give a bad name to those who are serious and educated who question things. Those people just get lumped into the side of the ignorant masses and don't get taken seriously. This is because you have the other side of the ignorant masses with borrowed opinions who automatically are against the other side. Objectivity is thrown out the door and politics are turned into a childish game.

If you want to claim a conspiracy then show some evidence, prove that you are not just another groupie.

You don't have to trust people, but you can't just go around accusing people just because you distrust them.