Why are electromagnetic forces body/volume forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of volume forces and how they differ from surface forces. While electromagnetic force is considered a volume force, it is not limited to affecting only neutrons. The conversation also touches on the idea of gravity and how it affects all particles equally. However, the force on protons is larger due to their mass, while the acceleration remains the same for all particles. The speakers also question the definitions of volume forces and how they may be misleading.
Logerah
Hi,

I don't really get what the point of volume forces is, if electromagnetism is a volume force. Its obviously no surface force, but in my opinion the definition says that its no volume force as well. The link below describes volume forces as "a force acting on all particles (volume elements) of a given body and proportional to the mass of the particles. Gravitationalforce is an example of a volume force.".
But electromagnetic force doesn't affect neutrons. They also affect some particles more than others: electrons and protons have different mass and especially different charge.
Gravity is different. Every bit of mass is affected equally?!
Every source I found says its a body force so my thoughts must be wrong. Does anyone see where my mistake is?

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Volume+Force

Physics news on Phys.org
Logerah said:
But electromagnetic force doesn't affect neutrons.
That does not matter. Its effects are in the whole volume, not limited to the surface. An interaction that would only affect electrons would still be called "volume force" if it would act on all electrons in the material.

Logerah said:
Every bit of mass is affected equally?!
With the same argument as you used for the charge, you could say "protons are heavier, they are affected more by gravity".

Ok, thank you.. So I think the definitions I read are a bit misleading.
mfb said:
With the same argument as you used for the charge, you could say "protons are heavier, they are affected more by gravity".
Protons should fall with 9,81m/s² and electrons, too. So they actually get affected the same... Or am I mistaken? Are the protons of a body on Earth pulled down more? That doesn't really make sense to me...

Logerah said:
Protons should fall with 9,81m/s² and electrons, too. So they actually get affected the same...
Depends on what you call "the same" - same force or same acceleration?
For protons the force is larger. The acceleration is the same for both of course.

Related to Why are electromagnetic forces body/volume forces?

1. Why do electromagnetic forces act as body/volume forces?

Electromagnetic forces act as body/volume forces because they are caused by the interaction between charged particles, which can be found within the entire volume of an object. These forces are not limited to just the surface of an object, as is the case with surface forces like friction or tension.

2. How do electromagnetic forces differ from other types of forces?

Electromagnetic forces differ from other types of forces because they can act over long distances without physical contact between objects. This is due to the nature of electric and magnetic fields, which can extend throughout space and interact with other fields and objects.

3. Can electromagnetic forces be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, electromagnetic forces can be both attractive and repulsive. This is because these forces are caused by the interaction between particles with opposite or like charges, respectively. Opposite charges will attract each other, while like charges will repel each other.

4. Do all objects experience electromagnetic forces?

Yes, all objects that contain charged particles, such as protons and electrons, will experience electromagnetic forces. This includes both living and non-living things, as all matter is made up of these charged particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic forces?

Electromagnetic forces have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the generation of electricity, the functioning of electronic devices, medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines, and the operation of motors and generators. Electromagnetic forces also play a crucial role in the behavior of atoms and molecules, which are the building blocks of all matter.