Why an Egg Stands Up: Exploring Energy Changes

In summary, the egg stands up because it has less energy to keep it upright than it does to just ask us.
eddie
Why does a spinning egg stand up ,what are the energy changes and why do they occur

Physics news on Phys.org
It's clear it takes less energy to just ask us than to think about it himself.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's clear it takes less energy to just ask us than to think about it himself.
Hi I'm not trying to save energy I'm just looking for an answer usually objects tend to become more stable by losing potential energy but in this case the egg gains potential energy.

eddie said:
Hi I'm not trying to save energy I'm just looking for an answer usually objects tend to become more stable by losing potential energy but in this case the egg gains potential energy.
It is not the purpose of this forum to just give answers in cases where some thought might bring out the answer yourself. I ask again, what do you think? And why? In what way does it gain potential energy? If it does, does that energy persist? Does the egg stay upright after it stops rotating.

phinds said:
It is not the purpose of this forum to just give answers in cases where some thought might bring out the answer yourself. I ask again, what do you think? And why? In what way does it gain potential energy? If it does, does that energy persist? Does the egg stay upright after it stops rotating.
I'm surprised that you think that "some thought " would provide an answer to my question .Nobody on the internet seems to be able to give a simple explanation ,.there's plenty of baffling ones though.If the egg is spun fast enough it stands up ie. it's centre of gravity rises ,as it slows down the egg falls down again.

eddie said:
Hi I'm not trying to save energy I'm just looking for an answer

Of course you're just looking for an answer. And phinds is trying to guide you to it, and you're insisting that instead it be delivered to you on a plate.

Eddie, let's try again - What. Do. You. Think?

I would also ask you, if you see a top laying on its side and then you spin it and get it to stay up, are you surprised?

Yes, but I still don't have an answer to my egg question.

Vanadium 50 said:
Eddie, let's try again - What. Do. You. Think?
I've no idea what you are asking me .I would like to know why the egg stands up.

A clue to help you. The egg has to be boiled and once it is the yolk is fixed to the larger section of the egg and there an air pocket in the smaller end so it's center of gravity isn't where it appears.
If you were capable spinning a top fast enough that's laying on its side it will stand up pointed end up just like the egg.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Related to Why an Egg Stands Up: Exploring Energy Changes

1. Why does an egg stand up when placed vertically on a table?

When an egg is placed vertically on a table, it stands up because of the distribution of its weight and the shape of its shell. The egg's center of gravity is located towards the wider end, making it more stable in a vertical position. Additionally, the egg's shape and structure allow it to distribute its weight evenly, making it less likely to topple over.

2. How does the egg's center of gravity change when it is rotated?

When an egg is rotated, its center of gravity also shifts. This is because the egg's weight is now being distributed differently due to the rotation. As a result, the egg's center of gravity moves towards the direction of the rotation, making it less stable and more likely to fall over.

3. What is the role of energy changes in the ability of an egg to stand up?

The energy changes that occur when an egg is rotated or moved play a crucial role in its ability to stand up. When the egg is rotated, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which causes the egg's center of gravity to shift. This change in energy allows the egg to maintain its vertical position.

4. How does the egg's shape affect its stability when standing up?

The egg's shape is a key factor in its stability when standing up. The egg's curved and symmetrical shape allows it to evenly distribute its weight, making it more stable in a vertical position. Additionally, the egg's shape allows it to roll and adjust its position if it starts to lean to one side, helping it to maintain balance.

5. Can different types of eggs stand up in the same way?

Yes, different types of eggs can stand up in the same way because they all have similar properties, such as their shape and weight distribution. However, factors such as the size and freshness of the egg may affect its ability to stand up. Eggs with thinner shells or those that are not as fresh may be less stable when standing up.