Why am I still receiving email notifications after deactivating email options?

• Thread starter JBA
  • Start date
In summary, the person is still receiving email notifications even though they deactivated all email options, but they do like receiving Push notifications on their web browser. They wonder if the Push notifications are the reason for the email notifications. They also mention getting email notifications from old threads, but they know how to fix it by changing their preferences. They also mention being able to manage notifications on their watched thread page.
JBA
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I do not want email notifications, so I deactivated all email options; but, I am still getting email notifications. At the same time, I do like getting the Push notifications on my web browser so I still have those activated. Is that the reason I am still getting email notifications?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the mail notifications from old threads?

I sometimes get email notifications from threads that I followed before changing my preferences.

anorlunda said:
Are the mail notifications from old threads?

I sometimes get email notifications from threads that I followed before changing my preferences.
If so, you can fix that by first Unwatching/Unsubscribing from the thread, and then Watch/Subscribe with the new option selected. That's how I turned off e-mail notifications in the old threads that I'd subscribed to.

Likes Wrichik Basu
You can also manage notifications on your watched thread page: https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads?unread=0

Likes JBA
That is what I needed. Thanks

1. What is the difference between push and email notifications?

Push notifications are messages that are sent directly to a user's device, while email notifications are sent to a user's email inbox. Push notifications are typically used for real-time updates, while email notifications are more commonly used for non-urgent communication.

2. Which type of notification is more effective?

The effectiveness of push vs email notifications depends on the specific use case. Push notifications are more likely to be seen and opened immediately, while email notifications may be overlooked or marked as spam. However, email notifications have a higher chance of being seen at a later time, as they remain in the user's inbox until they are deleted.

3. Can push notifications be personalized like email notifications?

Yes, push notifications can be personalized with the user's name, location, or other relevant information. This allows for a more targeted and personalized approach to communication, similar to email notifications.

4. Are push notifications more intrusive than email notifications?

Push notifications can be seen as more intrusive because they appear directly on a user's device, whereas email notifications are contained within the user's inbox. However, push notifications can be managed through device settings and can be turned off or limited for certain apps.

5. Which type of notification is better for marketing purposes?

Both push and email notifications can be effective for marketing purposes. Push notifications are more likely to be seen immediately, while email notifications may have a longer lifespan in the user's inbox. It is important to consider the target audience and the type of message being sent when determining which type of notification is better for marketing purposes.