Why air flow created by ceiling fan goes downward?

In summary, ceiling fans are designed to move air downward when they rotate counter clockwise, which is determined by the angle of the blades. This is because fans are meant to remove ambient heat from the skin, providing a cooling effect. The direction of rotation is also influenced by the standard clockwise rotation of motors.
ddnath
Why air flow created by ceiling fan (which rotates counter clockwise (seen from beneath ceilling) ) goes downward?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mine are reversable, so the air could go either way. Look at the pitch on the blades and compare it to an airplane propeller.

ddnath said:
Why air flow created by ceiling fan (which rotates counter clockwise (seen from beneath ceilling) ) goes downward?

The instructions with mine (a reversible one too) are that Downwards is to provide a good, cooling draft onto your head on hot days and Upwards is to be used in cold weather to circulate warm air from a heater around without causing too much draft anywhere. (If that's what you mean by "why?")

The turbine blades have some angle of attack, so when they chop into the air at some angle, it pushes the air against the blade toward a direction.

ddnath said:

A quick search using google images shows that the majority (all?) ceiling fans are indeed designed to blow air downwards when they rotate counter clockwise (when seen from below). This is determined by the angle of the blades. There is nothing to stop someone designing one to rotate the other way. I have no idea why ceiling fans work this way other than that's the way it's allways been done?

Incidentally if you compare the blade pitch with the thread on a standard screw they are have oposite "hands". In other words a ceiling fan is similar to a screw with a left hand thread not the normal right hand thread.

I don't understand the question. Are you asking how does the fan move air downward, which some people have answered, or what is the purpose of moving the air downward. Since no one has answered this part I'll answer it.

Fans are designed to remove ambient heat, which is the heat on your skin. So think of it like air is moved to your skin, it absorbs thermal energy, and then more air is passed over moving that air away. This is the cooling effect that you feel, but it doesn't neccessarily cool down a room, which is a common misconception. Fans are only useful if you're under it. So turn them off if you aren't in the room.

CWatters said:
Incidentally if you compare the blade pitch with the thread on a standard screw they are have oposite "hands". In other words a ceiling fan is similar to a screw with a left hand thread not the normal right hand thread.
You got me thinking about that one. The reason, I think, is quite simple. A standard motor runs 'clockwise' and, if it is suspended with the shaft pointing downwards then the fan blades need to push away - which is the opposite way that most screws are operated. They wouldn't want to make a special set of motors for ceiling fans, would they?
It got me thinking about Pullers and Pushers for aircraft and boat propulsion. The same thing applies.
As it happens, I have an old Volvo Penta engine on my boat which is a 'clockwise' engine. If I want to replace it with another make, I shall almost certainly have to replace the propeller because all other makes (afaik) have counterclockwise engines. What a pain.

You got me thinking about that one. The reason, I think, is quite simple. A standard motor runs 'clockwise' and, if it is suspended with the shaft pointing downwards...

I think you have the answer.

It seems from this diagram that the shaft/armature is fixed to the ceiling and the blades are attached to the casing/field magnets which rotate..

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/ceiling-fan-3.jpg

So when the motor shart is rotating in the standard clockwise direction the casing and fan is rotating counter closkwise.

?
The motor is fixed and the shaft rotates, at least on mine. (You'd need slip rings for it to work the other way.) When it rotates in the way that most motor shafts rotate (clockwise, looking out of the motor and the way a drill goes), the blades are angled to push air away. There's your left hand screw.

Related to Why air flow created by ceiling fan goes downward?

1. Why does the air flow created by a ceiling fan go downward?

The direction of the air flow from a ceiling fan is determined by the orientation of the fan blades. The angle of the blades causes the air to move in a downward direction.

2. Is it more efficient to have the ceiling fan rotate clockwise or counterclockwise for downward air flow?

In order to achieve downward air flow, the ceiling fan should rotate counterclockwise. This pushes the air downwards and creates a cooling effect.

3. How does the direction of the ceiling fan blades affect the air flow?

The direction of the ceiling fan blades determines the direction of the air flow. When the blades are angled in a downward position, the air is pushed downwards, creating a cooling effect. When the blades are angled in an upward position, the air is pulled upwards, creating a warming effect.

4. Why is it important to have the ceiling fan blades angled in a downward position for cooling?

Having the ceiling fan blades angled in a downward position helps to create a wind chill effect, making the room feel cooler. This is because the air moving across our skin helps to evaporate moisture from our skin, making us feel cooler.

5. Can the direction of the ceiling fan blades be changed for different seasons?

Yes, the direction of the ceiling fan blades can be changed for different seasons. In the summer, the blades should be angled in a downward position for cooling, while in the winter, the blades should be angled in an upward position to help circulate warm air that rises to the ceiling.