Can i create an air flow through a geometry?

In summary: Electric fans are convenient and flexible ways to do this and the Dyson "cool" fans do it electrically with no moving parts. Rich people used servants in the past to operate fans.
Giulio Cesare
Is there a way to create/force air flow without using electronic components?

Physics news on Phys.org
BilbobagginsINSPACE said:
Well, You could always just blow, I guess, but other than that, I can only immediately think of a slightly cheaty way and use something like a car engine, perhaps.
Ty for the answer.
Maybe i wasn’t clear enough. Imagine a pipe (or whatever structure that can channel air), i’m trying to figure out if i can create a “spontaneous” air flow. No engine, no blows, no electronics. I actually think it’s impossible, but you guys know physics better than me, so here i am ^^.

I was just talking to a friend, and we realized, that if you make a heat or pressure difference at one end of the pipe, the air would move, that is literally what makes winds. However, if that isn't what you mean again, then no, we're stumped. You should talk to someone more experienced than me though, I'm no expert.

Giulio Cesare said:
Ty for the answer.
Maybe i wasn’t clear enough. Imagine a pipe (or whatever structure that can channel air), i’m trying to figure out if i can create a “spontaneous” air flow. No engine, no blows, no electronics. I actually think it’s impossible, but you guys know physics better than me, so here i am ^^.
You have to bear in mind that you need an Energy Source to produce any motion in an initially stationary situation. A heat source can generate a significant flow of air - as anyone with a stove with a flue will tell you.
An electric fan is a convenient and flexible way to do this and the Dyson "cool" fans do it electrically with no moving parts. Rich people used servants in the past to operate fans.
Common theme is the Energy Source. Without it, we would be talking in terms of Perpetual Motion which is 1. Nonsense and 2. verboten on PF.

Likes anorlunda and Bystander
220px-Power_station_Westfalen._Cooling_towers.jpg

Combine the previous answers from @sophiecentaur and @DrClaude . The geometry of that cooling tower is essential to the function. But it needs an energy source or nothing happens.

Attachments

• 220px-Power_station_Westfalen._Cooling_towers.jpg
    220px-Power_station_Westfalen._Cooling_towers.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 508

Related to Can i create an air flow through a geometry?

1. Can I create an air flow through any type of geometry?

Yes, it is possible to create an air flow through different types of geometries such as circles, squares, triangles, and even more complex shapes. However, the shape and design of the geometry can affect the efficiency and effectiveness of the air flow.

2. What factors influence the creation of air flow through a geometry?

Several factors can influence the creation of air flow through a geometry, including the shape and size of the geometry, the materials used, the surrounding environment, and the placement of the geometry.

3. How can I calculate the air flow through a given geometry?

There are various formulas and equations that can be used to calculate the air flow through a geometry. These calculations take into account factors such as the geometry's dimensions, the air pressure, and the air velocity.

4. Can I control the direction of the air flow through a geometry?

Yes, it is possible to control the direction of the air flow through a geometry. This can be achieved through the use of elements such as fans, ducts, and vents, which can manipulate the air flow and direct it in a specific direction.

5. What are the real-world applications of creating air flow through a geometry?

The creation of air flow through a geometry has many real-world applications, such as in HVAC systems, wind turbines, ventilation systems, and aerodynamics in vehicles and aircraft. It can also be used in industrial processes for cooling, drying, and filtering purposes.