Why addition? Integral problem

In summary, the problem asks you to find the area under the curve y = x2 when x is in the range -5 to 4.
Jbreezy
Hello, I can't seem to paste this in. So here is the link.
http://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-5e/
It is chapter 7, section 1, question 17.
Why are you adding ∫ [(x+2) +√4 -x] dx + ∫ 2(√4 -x) dx
?
I'm confused for 2 reasons. Why can you not just evaluate from -5 to 4? ( you will see the bounds I don't know how to put them on my integral here)
Why must you evaluate from -5 to 0 then from 0 to 4?
I understand the last term ∫ 2(√4 -x) dx this is 2 times because half is below the x axis.
But the first part...∫ [(x+2) +√4 -x] dx
Why would you add them. I can't seem to visualize why this would be. It seems I would find the area under x+2 then subtract that from the area under √4 -x.
Why not ??
Thanks,
J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:
Hello, I can't seem to paste this in. So here is the link.
http://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-5e/
It is chapter 7, section 1, question 17.
Why are you adding ∫ [(x+2) +√4 -x] dx + ∫ 2(√4 -x) dx
?
They are really subtracting something. What is the equation of the lower half of that parabola?
Jbreezy said:
I'm confused for 2 reasons. Why can you not just evaluate from -5 to 4? ( you will see the bounds I don't know how to put them on my integral here)
Because the formula for the typical area element changes at 0. Between -5 and 0, the typical area element is (yupper - ylower)Δx. After that, yupper is not a value on that line.
Jbreezy said:
Why must you evaluate from -5 to 0 then from 0 to 4?
I understand the last term ∫ 2(√4 -x) dx this is 2 times because half is below the x axis.
But the first part...∫ [(x+2) +√4 -x] dx
Why would you add them. I can't seem to visualize why this would be. It seems I would find the area under x+2 then subtract that from the area under √4 -x.
Why not ??
Thanks,
J

They are really subtracting something. What is the equation of the lower half of that parabola?
Yeah Yeah I see. It is a negative.-

thx

Similar question. http://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-ETF-5e/
part b they want you to rotate it about the y-axis and in part c about the line x = 3.
I don't understand this difference in writing for part b... 3^2 - (y^2)^2

And in part c they write (3-y)^2 I don't get it.
It is chapter 7 section 2 question 11.
Thanks

Seeing that you also started a new thread for this new problem (which is the right thing to do), I am closing this thread.

Related to Why addition? Integral problem

1. Why is addition important in math?

Addition is important in math because it is the basic operation of combining two or more quantities to find the total or sum. It is a fundamental concept that is used in more advanced math concepts such as multiplication, division, and algebra.

2. How does addition relate to real-life situations?

Addition is used in real-life situations when we need to add up quantities or values. For example, when we go grocery shopping and need to calculate the total cost of our items, we use addition. It is also used in everyday tasks such as cooking, budgeting, and keeping score in games.

3. What is the difference between addition and integration?

Addition is a basic operation of combining two or more quantities, while integration is a mathematical concept that represents the sum of infinitely small parts. Integration is used to find the area under a curve, while addition is used to find the total or sum of numbers.

4. How is addition used in integral problems?

In integral problems, addition is used to find the total or sum of infinitely small parts. It is used in the process of finding the area under a curve, which is the fundamental concept of integration. Addition is also used in solving integral equations and evaluating indefinite integrals.

5. What are the benefits of learning addition and integral problems?

Learning addition helps build a strong foundation for more advanced math concepts and real-life applications. Understanding integral problems allows us to solve complex mathematical equations and problems, and it also has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.