Why a normal distribution is not a good approximation for these exam scores?

In summary, the argument is that normal distribution is not appropriate for exam scores due to the range of 26.6 to 100 that can be truncated to 26.6 to 100.
songoku
Homework Statement
The average score for an exam is 72.5 out of 100 and the standard deviation is 15.3
Why a normal distribution would not give a good approximation to the distribution of the score?
Relevant Equations
Not sure
I am not really sure what the reason is but my argument would be if normal distribution is appropriate, then almost all the score will fall in the range of μ - 3σ to μ + 3σ

For this case, the range of μ - 3σ to μ + 3σ is 26.6 to 118.4 and all the score is unlikely to be within the range.

I feel my argument is not strong enough to justify why normal distribution is not appropriate. Since the max score is 100, the range can be truncated to 26.6 to 100. One can argue that this is a plausible range for exam score

Is there a certain condition to justify use of normal distribution, maybe something like the standard deviation should be at most a % of the mean?

Thanks

Last edited:
Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are on the right track but can make a stronger argument. Specifically, what is wrong with the range of 26.6 to 118.4? Concentrate on the problem with that and give a specific probability for the problem values of a normal distribution.

Likes songoku, atyy, pbuk and 1 other person
FactChecker said:
I think you are on the right track but can make a stronger argument. Specifically, what is wrong with the range of 26.6 to 118.4? Concentrate on the problem with that and give a specific probability for the problem values of a normal distribution.
For normal distribution to be appropriate:
P(μ - σ < X < μ + σ) = 68.26%

P(μ - 2σ < X < μ + 2σ) = 95.44%

P(μ - 3σ < X < μ + 3σ) = 99.73%In this question:
P(μ - σ < X < μ + σ) =P(57.2 < X < 87.8) = 68.26%

P(μ - 2σ < X < μ + 2σ) = P(41.9 < X < 103.1) = P(41.9 < X < 100) = 94.11%

P(μ - 3σ < X < μ + 3σ) = P(26.6 < X < 118.4) = P(26.6 < X < 100) = 96.25%

Since P(μ - 3σ < X < μ + 3σ) does not match with theoretical value, so normal distribution is not good approximation?

Thanks

Last edited:
Assuming a normal distribution with that mean and standard deviation, I would calculate the probability, P(X>100), which all are invalid results. It may be a matter of preference, but I think that is the strongest argument.

Likes songoku
FactChecker said:
Assuming a normal distribution with that mean and standard deviation, I would calculate the probability, P(X>100), which all are invalid results. It may be a matter of preference, but I think that is the strongest argument.
P(X > 100) = 0.0361= 3.61%

There will be around 3.61% of invalid data in the region of upper tail of normal distribution so normal distribution is not good approximation.

Is this what you mean?

Thanks

Yes.

Thank you very much FactChecker

Likes berkeman

1. Why is a normal distribution not a good approximation for these exam scores?

A normal distribution assumes that the data is symmetrically distributed around the mean, with most values falling within a few standard deviations of the mean. However, exam scores often have a skewed distribution, with more students scoring towards the middle or lower end of the scale, resulting in a non-normal distribution.

2. How does a non-normal distribution affect the interpretation of exam scores?

A non-normal distribution can make it difficult to accurately interpret exam scores. For example, if the distribution is skewed to the left, it may appear that more students are performing poorly on the exam, when in reality they may be performing at an average level.

3. What other factors can contribute to a non-normal distribution of exam scores?

There are many factors that can contribute to a non-normal distribution of exam scores, such as the difficulty level of the exam, the study habits of the students, and individual differences in learning and test-taking abilities. These factors can lead to a wide range of scores and a non-normal distribution.

4. Is there a better way to represent the distribution of exam scores?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for representing the distribution of exam scores. One option is to use a histogram, which displays the frequency of scores in different ranges. Another option is to use a box plot, which shows the median, quartiles, and outliers of the data. These methods can better capture the shape of the distribution and provide more information about the data.

5. Can a non-normal distribution of exam scores still be used for statistical analysis?

Yes, a non-normal distribution of exam scores can still be used for statistical analysis. However, it is important to use appropriate statistical tests and methods that are robust to non-normality, such as non-parametric tests. It is also important to consider the limitations of the data and the potential impact of the non-normal distribution on the results of the analysis.