Normally distributed probability problem

In summary, for a normally distributed exam with a mean of 75 and a variance of 64, students with a mark of 90 or above receive an A+. Using the z-score formula and the normal distribution chart, we can determine that approximately 3.01% of students will receive an A+. When 12 students write the exam, the probability of 3 students receiving an A+ is 0.0301, calculated using the binomial theorem.
subopolois

Homework Statement

an exam is normally distributed with a mean of 75 and a variance of 64. students with a mark of 90 or above receive an A+
a) what percentage of students receive an A+?
b) if 12 students write the exam what is the probability 3 get A+?

Homework Equations

z-score- z=mark-mean/standard deviation
my teacher gave us a chart that gives probabilities as area under a curve for normal distributions

The Attempt at a Solution

a) since the standard deviation is the square root of the variance:
SD= 8
z-score= 90-75/8= 1.88
now using the area under the curve chart, for a z-score of 1.88 it reads 0.9699. from this i subtract 1 because i want the amount above 90 and this value is below 90, so i get:
= 1-0.9699
= 0.0301 or 3.01%

b) if 12 students write and 3 get an A+ then 9 students must get something else:
p(x=3)= 3(0.0301)/9(0.9699)= 0.0103
since the probability of getting over A+ is 0.0301 and anything else is one subtract 0.0301.

do my answers seen correct? if not can someone guide me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to part a) is correct, however, I don't really understand what calculation you've done for part b).

Personally I would just use the Choose function i.e. 12C3 * 0.0301^3 * 0.9699^9

vikkisut88 said:
The answer to part a) is correct, however, I don't really understand what calculation you've done for part b).

Personally I would just use the Choose function i.e. 12C3 * 0.0301^3 * 0.9699^9

Ok, would I also put in 12C9 when multlying0.9699?. Also why areyou putting 0.0301 with an exponent also for the other0.9699?

nope you just have one 12C3 - it's how you use the binomial theorem:

P(X=r) = nCr * p^r * q^(n-r) where q = 1-p :)

oh and n = total so in this case 12

vikkisut88 said:
oh and n = total so in this case 12

Alright! Thank you

Related to Normally distributed probability problem

1. What is a normally distributed probability problem?

A normally distributed probability problem is a type of statistical problem that involves using the normal distribution to calculate probabilities. The normal distribution is a bell-shaped curve that is commonly used to represent the distribution of data in many real-world situations.

2. How is the normal distribution calculated?

The normal distribution is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the mean and standard deviation of the data. The formula is called the probability density function (PDF) and it gives the probability of a value falling within a certain range of the mean.

3. What is the 68-95-99.7 rule in a normally distributed probability problem?

The 68-95-99.7 rule, also known as the empirical rule, states that in a normally distributed data set, approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations. This rule is often used to estimate probabilities in normal distribution problems.

4. How can I determine if a data set is normally distributed?

There are a few methods for determining if a data set is normally distributed. One way is to create a histogram of the data and see if it resembles a bell-shaped curve. Another way is to use statistical tests, such as the Shapiro-Wilk or Kolmogorov-Smirnov tests, to assess the normality of the data.

5. How are normally distributed probability problems used in real-world applications?

Normally distributed probability problems are used in a variety of fields, including finance, economics, and psychology. They are used to model and analyze data in order to make predictions and inform decision making. Some examples of real-world applications include predicting stock prices, analyzing consumer behavior, and studying the effects of medication on patients.