Why 1/2 is Coefficient in CK Sum for Integrals

In summary, the coefficient 1/2 is specifically chosen because it allows for a nice telescoping sum that gives the desired intermediate values between ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}~## and ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}~##. Other coefficients may also give a telescoping sum, but they may not give the same desired intermediate values and may not work as well for the given problem.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

Why specifically 1/2 is the coefficient in CK? the sum, basically, doesn't change except for the coefficient. i can choose it as i want.
I understand the sum must equal the integral but i guess that's not the reason

Homework Equations

Area under a curve as a sum:
$$S_n=f(c_1)\Delta x+f(c_2)\Delta x+...+f(c_n)\Delta x$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$f(c_1)\Delta x=\frac{x_k-x_{k-1}}{\frac{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}+\sqrt{x_k}}{2}}=...=2(\sqrt{x_k}-\sqrt{x_{k-1}})$$
$$S_n=2(\sqrt{x_1}-\sqrt{x_0}+\sqrt{x_2}-\sqrt{x_1}+...+\sqrt{x_n}-\sqrt{x_{n-1}})=2(\sqrt{x_n}-\sqrt{x_0})$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 197148
View attachment 197149
Why specifically 1/2 is the coefficient in CK? the sum, basically, doesn't change except for the coefficient. i can choose it as i want.
I understand the sum must equal the integral but i guess that's not the reason

Homework Equations

Area under a curve as a sum:
$$S_n=f(c_1)\Delta x+f(c_2)\Delta x+...+f(c_n)\Delta x$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$f(c_1)\Delta x=\frac{x_k-x_{k-1}}{\frac{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}+\sqrt{x_k}}{2}}=...=2(\sqrt{x_k}-\sqrt{x_{k-1}})$$
$$S_n=2(\sqrt{x_1}-\sqrt{x_0}+\sqrt{x_2}-\sqrt{x_1}+...+\sqrt{x_n}-\sqrt{x_{n-1}})=2(\sqrt{x_{n-1}}-\sqrt{x_0})$$

##c_k## is supposed to be an intermediate value. That is, ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k}}} \le \frac{1}{\sqrt{c_k}} \le \frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}##. Can you check that that works for this choice of ##c_k##? Does it work if you change the coefficient?

Dick said:
Can you check that that works for this choice of ##~c_k##?
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}=\frac{2}{2\sqrt{x_k}}<\frac{2}{\sqrt{x_k}+\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}<\frac{2}{2\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}$$
If i change the coefficient 2 into something greater or smaller then each time one side of the equation isn't right.
But there are many values on the graph between ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}~## and ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}##

Last edited:
Karol said:
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}=\frac{2}{2\sqrt{x_k}}<\frac{2}{\sqrt{x_k}+\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}<\frac{2}{2\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}$$
If i change the coefficient 2 into something greater or smaller then each time one side of the equation isn't right.
But there are many values on the graph between ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}~## and ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}##

Good. So you know ##c_k## is a good choice for an intermediate value. And sure, there are lots of other choices of ways to choose a ##c_k##, but this is the one that gives you that nice telescoping sum.

Dick said:
but this is the one that gives you that nice telescoping sum.
I myself can't prove that other coefficients fit between ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}~## and ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}~## but if i look only at ##~S_n=2(\sqrt{x_n}-\sqrt{x_0})~## then anything other than 2 will give the same basic Sn

Karol said:
I myself can't prove that other coefficients fit between ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_k}}~## and ##~\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_{k-1}}}~## but if i look only at ##~S_n=2(\sqrt{x_n}-\sqrt{x_0})~## then anything other than 2 will give the same basic Sn

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Yes, anything other than 2 will give you a telescoping sum. But choosing anything other than 2 will not necessarily give you intermediate values. Think what happens if the spacing between ##x_k## and ##x_{k-1}## becomes very small.

Thank you very much Dick

Related to Why 1/2 is Coefficient in CK Sum for Integrals

1. Why is 1/2 the coefficient in the CK Sum for Integrals?

The 1/2 coefficient in the CK Sum for Integrals is a result of the integration process. When integrating a function, the integral is essentially finding the area under the curve of the function. However, when using the CK Sum method, the area under the curve is divided into equal intervals. This means that the height of each interval is multiplied by the width of the interval to calculate the area. Since the width of each interval is 1/2, this results in the 1/2 coefficient in the CK Sum for Integrals.

2. Does the 1/2 coefficient always appear in the CK Sum for Integrals?

No, the 1/2 coefficient only appears in the CK Sum for Integrals when dividing the area under the curve into equal intervals. If the intervals are not equal, the 1/2 coefficient will not be present. Additionally, the 1/2 coefficient may also be present in other integration methods, depending on how the intervals are divided.

3. How does the 1/2 coefficient affect the accuracy of the CK Sum for Integrals?

The 1/2 coefficient does not affect the accuracy of the CK Sum for Integrals. It is simply a result of the integration process and the method of dividing the area under the curve. The CK Sum for Integrals is still a valid and accurate method for approximating the integral of a function.

4. Can the 1/2 coefficient be changed or modified?

The 1/2 coefficient in the CK Sum for Integrals is a fixed result of the integration process and cannot be changed or modified. However, the intervals used in the CK Sum method can be adjusted to change the accuracy of the approximation.

5. How is the 1/2 coefficient used in the CK Sum for Integrals?

The 1/2 coefficient is used to calculate the area under each interval in the CK Sum method. It is multiplied by the height of the interval to determine the area, and the sum of these areas is used to approximate the integral of the function. The 1/2 coefficient is a crucial part of the calculation process in the CK Sum for Integrals.