Who or what is a Chiron and why is it important in physics?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, a "Chiron" can refer to multiple things, including a small object in the outer solar system with an orbit between Saturn and Uranus, a centaur in Greek mythology who was known for his wisdom and mentorship, and a theoretical explanation for high-energy events observed in emulsion experiments known as "Centauro events." These events may possibly be caused by exploding miniature black holes, but other explanations are also being explored.
Mk
What is a "Chiron?"

What is a "Chiron?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Euuh, perhaps i am having some language-problems but what exactly do you mean by this chiron ? Where did you read this and it what context was this thing used ?

Is it a QFT-thing or are you just referring to chirality-related subjects ?

regards
marlon

Eeeuh, in astronomy you have this object called 2060 Chiron that has an orbit in the outer solar system, positioned between the orbits of Saturn and Uranus. The radius is about 85 km

regards
marlon

Mk said:
What is a "Chiron?"

In Greek mythology a chiron was a centaur, but I don't think this is what you were referring to... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

regards
ancient marlon

marlon said:
In Greek mythology a chiron was a centaur, but I don't think this is what you were referring to... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

regards
ancient marlon

Hi marlon,
you have reminded me, Chiron was the name of a particular centaur who was the teacher of somebody famous IIRC. You could say that Chiron was a "mentor centaur"-----most centaurs were wild and unruly, I think, but there were a few helpful and polite ones like him.

You asked about Centauro events in another thread. I found this

http://www.cerncourier.com/main/article/39/1/16/1

and this

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/CentauroEvent.html

Thanks, marcus for the explanation of these centauro events. did not know about them...

Mk, where you at ? Please we are all waiting in suspense for you to come out and refrase your question, sir...

regards
marlon, king of all chirons...

Chiron was the only centaur to have the gift of immortality

http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/bdodge/scaffold/GG/centaur.html

He was the tutor, or coach, of Achilles (probably a horse could give us useful suggestions about running, if he could talk)

the other centaurs liked to drink and often got into fights when they were drunk

one time, when there was a fight, Chiron was standing to one side (he stayed out of stupid fights) but he was hurt by accident

after this, he made a bargain with the gods by which he would give up his immortality, and accept death, if the gods would release Prometheus.
The gods had been punishing Prometheus for stealing fire from them and so, by Chiron's generosity, the punishment was stopped and Prometheus was again free.
-----------------------------

A Centauro event MIGHT be produced by an exploding miniature black hole.
But there might also be other explanations.

AFAIK Centauro event is seen in high altitude emulsion experiments when there is suddenly an explosion of hadrons at some level in the atmosphere but ABOVE that level there is unexpectedly little activity-----little or no photons from decay of previous particles higher up.

so how did this powerful thing "sneak in" causing so little previous disturbance higher in the atmosphere, and then explode into a lot of hadrons.

apparently at CERN they looked for some Centauro-like events but didnt find any
---------------
this leaves me unsatisfied, with questions like
What other explanations besides mini-black hole are possible?
Why is it called Centauro?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marlon : we definitely must quit QCD. Remember the colored photon thing !? Well just as you said in your first post, I was also imagining this would deal with some kind of chiral excitation of the glue (for instance). We are geeks. :frown:

I am not sure the material here is is related to the initial question, but you provided really interesting stuff. Thanks for the infos !

marlon said:
Euuh, perhaps i am having some language-problems but what exactly do you mean by this chiron ? Where did you read this and it what context was this thing used ?

Is it a QFT-thing or are you just referring to chirality-related subjects ?

regards
marlon

marlon said:
Eeeuh, in astronomy you have this object called 2060 Chiron that has an orbit in the outer solar system, positioned between the orbits of Saturn and Uranus. The radius is about 85 km

regards
marlon

marcus said:
Chiron was the only centaur to have the gift of immortality

http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/bdodge/scaffold/GG/centaur.html

He was the tutor, or coach, of Achilles (probably a horse could give us useful suggestions about running, if he could talk)

the other centaurs liked to drink and often got into fights when they were drunk

one time, when there was a fight, Chiron was standing to one side (he stayed out of stupid fights) but he was hurt by accident

after this, he made a bargain with the gods by which he would give up his immortality, and accept death, if the gods would release Prometheus.
The gods had been punishing Prometheus for stealing fire from them and so, by Chiron's generosity, the punishment was stopped and Prometheus was again free.

AFAIK Centauro event is seen in high altitude emulsion experiments when there is suddenly an explosion of hadrons at some level in the atmosphere but ABOVE that level there is unexpectedly little activity-----little or no photons from decay of previous particles higher up.

so how did this powerful thing "sneak in" causing so little previous disturbance higher in the atmosphere, and then explode into a lot of hadrons.

---------------
this leaves me unsatisfied, with questions like
What other explanations besides mini-black hole are possible?
Why is it called Centauro?

Well, I learned a lot from other uses of the word. :biggrin:

OK, http://arxiv.org/abs/http://www.arx.../hep-ph/0311318 it was there, and https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=41878 there.

Centauro events, someone mentioned that before in this thread, that probably pertains to this.

Heh, sorry for giving you a hard time. :biggrin:

marcus said:

That was it, but what does that have to do with Chirons?

AFAIK is what? Afact?

As Far As I Know ...

BTW, Chiron is a Centaur (as in asteroid/comet/solar system body)

As it seems chirons are indeed centauro-events. Your references truly learned us that...

regards
marlon

ohh yes? than could someone provide more info on centauro events?

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/phy...tauroEvent.html

well, check out this site given by marcus...

regards
marlon

Related to Who or what is a Chiron and why is it important in physics?

1. What is a Chiron?

A Chiron is a small, icy body in our solar system that orbits the sun between Saturn and Uranus. It was discovered in 1977 and is classified as both a comet and an asteroid.

2. How big is a Chiron?

A Chiron can vary in size, but on average it is about 100 kilometers in diameter. This makes it one of the largest objects in the Kuiper Belt, a region of small bodies beyond Neptune.

3. What is the composition of a Chiron?

Chiron is mostly made up of ice, including water ice, methane ice, and ammonia ice. It also contains some rocky material and organic compounds.

4. What is unique about Chiron?

Chiron is unique because it is both a comet and an asteroid. It also has a highly elliptical orbit, which takes it from just beyond the orbit of Saturn to just inside the orbit of Uranus.

5. Can we see Chiron from Earth?

Yes, Chiron can be seen from Earth with a telescope during certain times of the year. It is currently in the constellation of Taurus and will be visible in the night sky until 2021.