Who is your favorite scientist, and why ?

• Thread starter Human4D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the conversation discusses the favorite scientists of the participants. Some of the scientists mentioned include Paul Verhoeven, Stephen Hawking, Ramanujan, Bohr, Einstein, Roger Penrose, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Feynman, Carl Sagan, Alex Filippenko, and Richard Dawkins. The participants also discuss the impact these scientists had on their love for science and their careers. Some mention Sagan's role in making science more approachable and Tyson's ability to communicate complex ideas in an accessible way. The conversation also touches on Sagan's rumored use of marijuana and the influence of his voice on the character of Agent Smith in The Matrix.
Human4D
For me it's a toss up between Paul Verhoeven & Stephen Hawking.

Verhoeven because with his PhD in Mathematics in Physics he's gone on to make some of the most entertaining films of the 20th century. Starship Troopers, Total Recall, RoboCop; awesome movies, I know lol.

Hawking because after reading a brief history of time it inspired me to pursue astronomy and mathematics as my fields of study.

What about you guys ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hawking, Ramanujan, Bohr, Einstein, Roger Penrose, and several of my astrophysics professors at Berkeley as well as my first research mentor at UCSD.

protonchain said:
Hawking, Ramanujan, Bohr, Einstein, Roger Penrose, and several of my astrophysics professors at Berkeley as well as my first research mentor at UCSD.

I wish if Ramanujan had lived longer.

My current favorite is Neil deGrasse Tyson. I just can't get enough of him and the way he speaks of science.

My old favorites are the likes of Feynman, Carl Segan, Einstein, Hawking.. I always catch myself listening to the great Feynman lectures.

I also like Dr. Alex Filippenko, UC Berkeley from his work available at the teaching corporation, his work on UC Berkeleys virtual classroom and his science outreach through shows like "The Universe" where is enthusiasm for science shows.

I'm a computer nerd by day and mad scientist at night with no formal science training so that's my 2 cents ;)

byronm said:
I also like Dr. Alex Filippenko, UC Berkeley from his work available at the teaching corporation, his work on UC Berkeleys virtual classroom and his science outreach through shows like "The Universe" where is enthusiasm for science shows.

Not trying to brag, but just support you. I worked with/for Alex for 4 years during my undergrad there, and did supernova searches. He's a great guy to work for, though a little bit tough on his undergrads and grad students.

I've only once seen his 800 student Astronomy 10 class. It's for non-majors so I never got to like take it in full, but for that one moment I sat in it I was amazed. He's really great at teaching.

Me, I'm my favorite scientist. If I don't love me, who else will? :biggrin:

byronm said:
My current favorite is Neil deGrasse Tyson. I just can't get enough of him and the way he speaks of science.

He's a good second choice, if you want to pick famous ones. He is the coolest geekiest scientist I've heard in a long time. Really, I just love how he can talk about things on a level where you know he can just reach out to the general public and be understood, and then in the next sentence, he'll say something that just screams out how much of a geek he really is. It's wonderful!

I always loved Carl Sagan, how can you not love how he said "billions and billions". He did so much to make science 'cool' and less intimidating for millions of people.

Evo said:
I always loved Carl Sagan, how can you not love how he said "billions and billions". He did so much to make science 'cool' and less intimidating for millions of people.

I'll have to second Carl Sagan. He was as excellent writer, helped pioneer SETI, published over 600 papers, was awarded the NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Public Welfare Medal from the NAS, a Pulitzer Prize, and an Emmy.

One of my earliest memories is of watching Cosmos. Sagan is the primary reason for my love of natural science.

B. Elliott said:
I'll have to second Carl Sagan. He was as excellent writer, helped pioneer SETI, published over 600 papers, was awarded the NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Public Welfare Medal from the NAS, a Pulitzer Prize, and an Emmy.

One of my earliest memories is of watching Cosmos. Sagan is the primary reason for my love of natural science.

Thirded, I can't imagine how many science careers were started because of what he did, which may be more an impact than anyone individual.

I guess Richard Dawkins, but can't say why because of the forum rules.

Evo said:

Sagan was quite the pothead (not that it affected his science).

Stratosphere said:
Sagan was quite the pothead (not that it affected his science).

Yeah I've read this about him as well, although it's only second hand reference, dont' believe he or anyone who knew him firsthand ever came outright and said so.

Probably only helped with his visions of the cosmos lol.

Human4D said:
Yeah I've read this about him as well, although it's only second hand reference, dont' believe he or anyone who knew him firsthand ever came outright and said so.

Probably only helped with his visions of the cosmos lol.

:smile: :smile:

Did the guy who played Agent Smith in The Matrix get his character's voice from Carl Sagan? Sounds like he studied Carl Sagan videos to get that voice down for the role.

leroyjenkens said:
Did the guy who played Agent Smith in The Matrix get his character's voice from Carl Sagan? Sounds like he studied Carl Sagan videos to get that voice down for the role.

i4ok8p.jpg

The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? billions upon billions of smiths. . .

waht said:
I guess Richard Dawkins, but can't say why because of the forum rules.
lol same here but I'd also add Steven Weinberg.
And also, Richard Feynman because of his pure passion for physics and because he's one of the most rational people I've heard speak.

leroyjenkens said:

Yes, he did. They mention this on the DVDs commentary track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:

Carl Sagan is also my favorite. The Cosmos series is probably the best science documentary ever produced. He also had a kind of tact that the "New Atheism" crowd seems to lack. Though, he never lived to see September 11th...

Related to Who is your favorite scientist, and why ?

1. Who is your favorite scientist?

As a scientist, I have many favorite scientists depending on the field of study. However, if I have to choose one, it would be Marie Curie.

2. What makes Marie Curie your favorite scientist?

Marie Curie was a pioneering scientist who made groundbreaking discoveries in the field of radioactivity. She was the first woman to receive a Nobel Prize and the first person to receive two Nobel Prizes in two different fields - physics and chemistry. Her perseverance, determination, and dedication to her work inspire me as a scientist.

3. What were Marie Curie's major contributions to science?

Marie Curie's major contributions include the discovery of two new elements - polonium and radium, and her research on radioactivity, which laid the foundation for modern nuclear physics. She also developed the theory of radioactivity and invented techniques for isolating radioactive isotopes.

4. How has Marie Curie's work impacted the scientific community?

Marie Curie's work has had a significant impact on the scientific community. Her discoveries and research on radioactivity have led to the development of nuclear energy, which is used in various fields such as medicine, industry, and research. Her contributions also opened the door for future advancements in the field of nuclear physics.

5. Do you think Marie Curie's work is relevant today?

Absolutely! Marie Curie's work is still relevant today, and her research on radioactivity continues to have a significant impact on various fields. Her discoveries and techniques have paved the way for modern advancements in nuclear medicine, energy, and technology. She will always be remembered as one of the greatest scientists of all time.