Who Is Your Favorite Scientist and Why?

• Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the conversation discusses the participants' favorite scientists and their contributions. The conversation also touches on the concept of personal influences in the field of science and the impact of famous scientists on advancements. Some notable names mentioned include Isaac Newton, Erwin Schrödinger, Mott, Taylor, Bethe, Darwin, Mendel, Einstein, and Feynman.
BadgerBadger92
I’m interested in seeing what your opinions are. I was hoping to learn a thing or two from what you prefer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, @BadgerBadger92. Newton: he put the first brick, provided all the background, to which we are all devoted.
HNY

Likes Math100, BadgerBadger92 and PhDeezNutz
My favorite scientist is Isaac Newton because he developed the laws of motion and gravity.

Erwin Schrödinger, because without his epononymous equation, I'd be doing chemistry blindly.

Likes Math100
Just one! I don't think one page will be enough to list all my favourites.

My favorite scientists were high performers in my specific subfield that influenced me when I was starting out. Of course, no one has heard of them in the general community. Off the famous list, I have read and thought about specific papers by Mott, Taylor and Bethe.

Last edited:
BadgerBadger92 said:
I’m interested in seeing what your opinions are. I was hoping to learn a thing or two from what you prefer.
Life sciences UG so Darwin and Mendel are obvious choices and later the biochemistry and medicine/pathology pioneers.

However, this is PF so in terms of awe inspiring, Einstein and his achievements plus his challenges and errors also seem to lead to advancements.

Probably get pulled on that but I don’t care.

Feynman also- no idea who he was until challenger 1986 and it took a few conversations with physics undergraduates, until I realized how important he was.

My physics mates all said Newton but what do they know?

1. Who is your favorite scientist and why?

My favorite scientist is Marie Curie because of her groundbreaking work in radioactivity, which not only challenged the scientific norms of her time but also laid the foundation for numerous advancements in both physics and chemistry. Her dedication and perseverance in the face of adversity, as well as her historic achievements as a double Nobel laureate, make her an inspiring figure.

2. Which modern scientist do you admire the most and why?

I greatly admire Jennifer Doudna for her role in developing CRISPR-Cas9, a revolutionary gene-editing technology. Her work has opened up new possibilities in genetic engineering with vast potential benefits for medicine, agriculture, and beyond, demonstrating a profound impact on the capabilities of molecular biology.

3. Can you name a scientist who has influenced your field of study significantly?

In the field of physics, Albert Einstein has had an enormous influence. His theory of relativity changed our understanding of space, time, and gravity, reshaping the landscape of theoretical physics and opening up new pathways for research in cosmology and quantum mechanics.

4. Who is a scientist from the past you wish you could have met and why?

I would have liked to meet Isaac Newton. His formulation of the laws of motion and universal gravitation, as well as his work with calculus, were monumental. Meeting him would provide invaluable insights into his thought processes and the challenges he overcame during his era of scientific discovery.

5. What female scientist do you find most inspirational and why?

Rosalind Franklin is particularly inspirational due to her crucial yet underrecognized work in discovering the DNA double helix structure. Her meticulous X-ray diffraction studies laid the groundwork for understanding the molecular structures of DNA, which has had a lasting impact on genetics and biochemistry.