What Are Your Favorite Theories?

• Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, DanDunning and Kruger like the theory that the Moon is an alien spaceship. Quantum Field Theory is their favorite theory. Dunning-Kruger also mentions Murphy's Law, Noether's Theorem, and Bell's inequality.
BadgerBadger92
I was just wondering what all of your guys favorite theory! For me it is a tie between special relativity and general relativity. I mainly want to know so I can look up any theories posted and learn about them.

So what’s your favorite theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was quite impressed by Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond.
Simulation theory also sounds like fun, but it is more like fantasy then anything we'll ever really be able to use.

That Stan Lee is really Uatu, the Watcher.

Seriously, original Heisenberg Matrix Mechanics.

-Dan

Likes Klystron, PeroK and Hornbein
Dunning & Kruger

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, gmax137, DaveE and 4 others
I like the theory that the Moon is an alien spaceship.

• Wow
Likes mcastillo356 and topsquark
Quantum Field Theory

Likes Grelbr42
I find that there are many conjectures sometimes referred to by "Theory". My favorite is the conjecture/Theory that the universe is finite.

My fave theory is clearly QED. It's massively successful with comparisons to experiment to an amazing number of digits. The magnetic moment of the electron is now getting to the point where we will need to include weak interactions to progress the calculation.

For things *adjacent* to theories, not really theory as such, but important results, I have two that I am exceedingly fond of.

There is Noether's theorem. It connects symmetry to conserved quantities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem

And there is Bell's inequality. This is a result that shows a method that can experimentally distinguish between causal-deterministic theories and quantum mechanics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem

Likes malawi_glenn
I can't believe I missed this thread when it first came out :woot:.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
Dunning-Kruger

Likes Thelamon and BillTre
Experimental evidence over many years tells me that my favorite is Murphy's Law.

• Haha
Likes Bystander, gleem, DaveE and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Dunning & Kruger
DaveE said:
Dunning-Kruger
Hmmm....

phinds said:
Murphy's Law.
When I was a student I went to a colloquium by a guy who floew balloons. He plotted the fraction of time they landed instrument side down vs. the cost of the payload - a straight line. Experimental proof of Murphy's Law!

Likes hutchphd
Do we really need more proof?

My favorite theory is the Aquatic Theory, that mankind originated in a place where they did a lot of swimming.

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
My favorite is the rishon model. Only two Weyl spinor fields (and 17 (8+8+1) associated massless gauge fields, based on a SU(3)xSU(3)xU(1) symmetry) are needed to describe the world of particles (without gravity). If one of them, call it C (with anti c) is electrically charged (1/3), and the other has zero electric charge (the rest being equal), call it Y (with anti u) then the particles of the standard model are:

Elektron: ccc
Up-quark: CCU
Down-quark: cuu
E. neutrino: UUU

Families are excitations of these bound states.

It's interesting to see what happens if we consider the electron, proton, neutron, and neutrino (which are universally present in a 1:1:1:1 ratio):

Electron: ccc
Proton: CCU CCU cuu
Neutron: CCU cuu cuu
Neutrino: UUU

What do we see? There are 6 C's and c's, and 6 U's and U's. Which means equal amounts of matter and antimatter! Which means that a version Wheeler's one-electron universe is applicable (and in this model a positron is indeed present in the proton as Wheeler hypothesized). The electron being a U or a C. Proton decay is "easily" explained (heuristically). In fact, ALL particle interactions could be.explained in this way .

Of course, there is no evidence that quarks or leptons are composite. But there is a lot of space left between the Planck scale and 10^-21m. Just smash two electrons head-on and listen if you hear a rattle within them. Or maybe the muon-g2 experiment is an expression of this theory. Or it is a fata morgana. Nature will tell us. I wonder how strong theory had to modified, if that could be done....

I also have several:

abiogenesis (how life started from chemistry and physics)
symbiogenesis (eukaryotes are the result of cells "eating" other cells then making them into organelles)
generalized information theory (still under construction)
Proto-Indo-European reconstruction (Sanskrit, Persian, Gaelic, Russian, English, Norwegian and many more all descended from the same ancestor language and we can assess this through technique analogous to genealogy)
topological approach to quantum gravity (entangled particles are doughnut holes or something, I don't know)

Likes BillTre

1. What is your favorite theory?

As a scientist, I am constantly exploring and learning about different theories. It is hard to choose just one favorite, but if I had to pick, I would say my favorite theory is the theory of evolution by natural selection. This theory explains how species adapt and change over time, and it has a wide range of applications in biology and other fields.

2. Why is this theory your favorite?

I find the theory of evolution by natural selection to be incredibly fascinating and elegant. It has been extensively studied and supported by evidence from various fields, and it has revolutionized our understanding of the natural world. Additionally, this theory has practical applications in fields such as medicine and agriculture, making it even more relevant and impactful.

3. How does this theory relate to your work as a scientist?

As a scientist, I am constantly seeking to understand the world around me. The theory of evolution by natural selection provides a framework for understanding how living organisms have evolved and continue to adapt to their environments. This theory has influenced my research and has helped me make connections between different areas of study.

4. Are there any controversies surrounding this theory?

While the theory of evolution by natural selection is widely accepted by the scientific community, there are still some controversies and debates surrounding certain aspects of the theory. Some people may reject this theory due to personal or religious beliefs, but the evidence supporting it is overwhelming.

5. How has this theory evolved over time?

The theory of evolution by natural selection has undergone many revisions and refinements since it was first proposed by Charles Darwin in the 19th century. As new evidence and technologies have emerged, our understanding of this theory has also evolved. Today, it continues to be a dynamic and ever-evolving theory that is constantly being tested and refined by scientists.