Who is donating body parts to science after death?

In summary, many athletes are donating their brains to science when they die, while others plan to donate their body or organs after they die.
I've been hearing of many athletes coming forward to donate their brains to science when they die. Curious with most of us being involved in science and its progress has anyone here made plans to donate their body or an organ to science after they die? Why not? Let's do it!

Likes billy_joule
Physics news on Phys.org
I think mine will be all used up by the time i die.

Both of my parents donated their bodies to science. My dad's body went to Baylor in Houston, when my mom dies, I believe that her body will go there also. If you wish, they will return the cremated ashes to you.

I am an organ donor, although I don't think I have many viable organs left, I should look into whether being an organ donor makes you ineligible to leave your body to science.

Likes collinsmark and Greg Bernhardt
I have a cast iron stomach, maybe science can do something with that. Otherwise, I've used up all my other organs, I am honestly amazed I'm still kicking.

I'm a designated organ donor on my California Driver's License. If I die in a car crash, they can harvest some good stuff. If I die in a motorcycle crash (not going to happen), nothing will be worth harvesting.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I'm not talking organ donation to another person, but for science experiments etc

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm not talking organ donation to another person, but for science experiments etc
Like being a cadaver for medical school students? Or have you done something to your body that would highly interest scientists... :biggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
berkeman said:
If I die in a motorcycle crash (not going to happen), nothing will be worth harvesting.
I have a good story here, but I'm not going to say it . . .

Likes 1oldman2 and berkeman
No way. I've seen how freshman med students treat dead bodies. Very little respect.

Organ donation is fine with me though...

Way yes! It appeals to me. If it could be put to constructive use rather than be a total burden on the environment and not cost my family then I'm in. If I do, however, I will finally have to get a tattoo. It will be a dotted line with the words "cut here."

Likes 256bits, Evo and berkeman
It would depend on my circumstances I think. If I had some rare medical feature, then probably. Otherwise, I'm hoping the technology/cost will be low enough to send my ashes into the depth of space. My organs I certainly plan on donating though (I'm hoping by the time that I actually die however, organ cloning is advanced our species beyond the need for human donors.)

Related to Who is donating body parts to science after death?

1. Who can donate their body parts to science after death?

Any individual over the age of 18 can donate their body parts to science after death. However, certain medical conditions and circumstances, such as infectious diseases, may disqualify someone from being a donor.

2. How can someone indicate their wish to donate their body parts to science?

Individuals can indicate their wish to donate their body parts to science by signing up for a donor registry or by including this wish in their advance directive or will. It is also important to discuss this decision with family members so they are aware of and can honor the individual's wishes.

3. What happens to the donated body parts?

Donated body parts are used for medical research and education purposes. This can include training medical students and developing new treatments and procedures to improve healthcare.

4. Is there a cost for donating body parts to science?

No, there is no cost for donating body parts to science. In fact, donors may even save their families from paying for funeral and burial expenses.

5. Can someone still have an open-casket funeral if they donate their body parts to science?

In most cases, yes. The donated body parts are carefully removed and the rest of the body is able to be presented for an open-casket funeral. However, it is important to discuss this with the specific organization or institution the donation is being made to.