Who can read my Private Conversations?

• Thread starter Rainbows_
  • Start date
In summary, Private Messages on this forum are only accessible to the people included in the conversation. However, the administrator, Greg Bernhardt, has access to all private messages and they are not completely secure. The mentors do not have access to private messages in conversations they are not part of.
Rainbows_
I don't want to create a new thread. Can anyone tell me who can read private messages here? is it only the owner or also all the Mentors or even science advisors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rainbows_ said:
I don't want to create a new thread. Can anyone tell me who can read private messages here? is it only the owner or also all the Mentors or even science advisors?
Private Messages are private to the people who are included (you can see their usernames to the right in the information pane in the Conversation). You can invite others into the Conversation, in which case they see the whole conversation.

berkeman said:
Private Messages are private to the people who are included (you can see their usernames to the right in the information pane in the Conversation). You can invite others into the Conversation, in which case they see the whole conversation.

But if the owner or mentors want to read others private messages. This can happen by simply opening the program, right? I'm not speaking of the mentors here but others who also use the same software of this program in general.

Rainbows_ said:
I don't want to create a new thread.
But this is a question that has nothing to do with this thread. I will split this off as a new thread.

Rainbows_ said:
But if the owner or mentors want to read others private messages. This can happen by simply opening the program, right? I'm not speaking of the mentors here but others who also use the same software of this program in general.
You mean like if the FBI subpoenaed @Greg Bernhardt to get access to a user's Private Conversations for legal reasons? Beats me. Maybe Greg will reply when he sees he's been tagged.

berkeman said:
You mean like if the FBI sopeanead @Greg Bernhardt to get access to a user's Private Conversations for legal reasons? Beats me. Maybe Greg will reply when he sees he's been tagged.

Yup. For example. If I send nuclear launch codes to another member. Can the owner forced open the account and read the private messages. Or are these encrypted with say 256 bit encryption that can't be cracked for a hundred years and one can never read them unless they know the users passwords? Oh.. btw.. can't the owners pry open the passwords? Again I'm not speaking in particular about this physicsforums site but the software by general.

Rainbows_ said:
If I send nuclear launch codes to another member. Can the owner forced open the account and read the private messages.
Should we be worried about you...?

Likes JuanC97
berkeman said:
Should we be worried about you...?

No.. hehe.. actually just wondering if we can write personal messages (like sharing details about sex lives) in the private conversations and we want to be sure it can't be read by anyone (even by force)...

Why would the FBI be interested in your sex life? :wink:

Likes cnh1995
berkeman said:
Why would the FBI be interested in your sex life? :wink:

Or transferring Nobel Prize caliber contents. I just want to know if any mentor or science advisors can just open the conversations at will.. is there just no way in the software to do that? does the software company only the one who can do that? How does this part of the software work.. and what kind of software (name) does physicforums use anyway..

Rainbows_ said:
No.. hehe.. actually just wondering if we can write personal messages (like sharing details about sex lives) in the private conversations and we want to be sure it can't be read by anyone (even by force)...
This is 2017. I believe the question came up before, and I think the only one on PF who has access to the PM's is Greg B. who I trust doesn't spend his time reading them. But in 2017, if you put it on the internet, there's really no guarantee that it won't ever be read by someone else, legally or otherwise.

Charles Link said:
This is 2017. I believe the question came up before, and I think the only one on PF who has access to the PM's is Greg B. who I trust doesn't spend his time reading them. But in 2017, if you put in on the internet, there's really no guarantee that it won't ever be read by someone else, legally or otherwise.

The administrator's rights can't be transferred to anyone else? just asking so we can know the level of the privacy of our messages. Of course Greg B won't read them but just wondering if administrator's rights can be transferred to anyone...

Rainbows_ said:
Or are these encrypted with say 256 bit encryption that can't be cracked for a hundred years and one can never read them unless they know the users passwords? Oh.. btw.. can't the owners pry open the passwords?
The Privacy Statement for the PF addresses unauthorized access a bit...
Greg Bernhardt said:
Security of information

Physicsforums.com makes no guarantee against unauthorized access to any information you provide. This information may be available to anyone with access to the servers, including the Administrators. SSL encryption is used site wide, but should not be thought of as 100% protection. Active data, such as the member database, is stored on the server itself. Backup copies of the member database may be stored either on the server, or on a personal computer owned by an Administrator, in a different geographic area from the server itself. While we cannot guarantee that no unauthorized access will ever occur, we do everything possible to prevent it. We also encourage users to carefully consider all personal information they choose to reveal, and the potential consequences of that information being made public by some form of intrusion or unauthorized access. You need not provide any personally identifying information of any kind.

This information may be available to anyone with access to the servers, including the Administrators
And in case it is not clear from the discussion above... the mentors are not administrators and do not have access to private messages in conversations that they are not part of.

Rainbows_ said:
Why would you want to come to an Academic forum to write about sex? You realize, if that person gets angry, they can very easily invite dozens of people into the conversation and there is nothing you can do about it. I wouldn't PM anything I wouldn't want the whole world to see at some point.

Greg (and potentially some employees of the hosting company) is the only one with access, and he will only access messages if forced so by US law.

All participants in a conversation can read the messages and make them available to others, sharing super private/secret things via forum messages is probably not the best idea anyway.

Rainbows_ said:
Or transferring Nobel Prize caliber contents.
They are discussed publicly. On conferences, in other discussions with colleagues, with unencrypted emails, ...
Excellent work is not created in isolated environments.

Likes cnh1995
Rainbows_ said:

I just want to make a distinction for legal purposes. The messaging function is called "Conversations", not private messages. We often use the phrase private messages or PM, but that is a relic label from the old software. Now, with that said no member has the capability to read another's Conversation unless they are explicitly invited by a member in that specific Conversation. Mentors have the ability to read a Conversation post if it is reported. There is no function in the software that allows for any other capability. Technically I have sole access to the database which contains the messages, but will only investigate if it's a legal or safety matter. In 16 years I can't remember having a reason.

Rainbows_ said:
Oh.. btw.. can't the owners pry open the passwords? Again I'm not speaking in particular about this physicsforums site but the software by general.

The software uses bcrypt for its password hash scheme. In the database your password looks like a random string of characters.

Rainbows_ said:
How does this part of the software work.. and what kind of software (name) does physicforums use anyway..

We use a modified version of Xenforo

Last edited:
Likes Rainbows_, cnh1995, dlgoff and 1 other person
Evo said:
if that person gets angry, they can very easily invite dozens of people into the conversation
Nah, six is max. And you can't kick out anyone to make room for more.

Bandersnatch said:
Nah, six is max. And you can't kick out anyone to make room for more.
Also, there is the option of not allowing other people to invite new participants. However, nothing stops the person you are having a conversation with from posting it elsewhere or reporting it for all mentors to see.

Do note the section in the rules regarding what you should not be using Conversations for:
Conversations (PMs):
If exclusively personal contact is needed, use the Conversation system. Conversations are NOT to be used to seek assistance with homework assignments or textbook exercises--post such questions in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area. The administrator reserves the right to, and can, view all Conversation messages.

Likes cnh1995, berkeman and Charles Link
Charles Link said:
This is 2017. I believe the question came up before, and I think the only one on PF who has access to the PM's is Greg B. who I trust doesn't spend his time reading them. But in 2017, if you put it on the internet, there's really no guarantee that it won't ever be read by someone else, legally or otherwise.

IMO, @Charles Link 's is the real answer. In 2017 I must assume that anytime I open my screen, unmask my microphone or web cam, touch the keyboard, or turn on my phone, or come within 10m of any IOT device, that one or more governments are making a record of it. In 2000 that would have been paranoid, but not so today.

Many sources today say, "Privacy is dead. Get over it."

Likes davenn, Bystander, russ_watters and 3 others

Related to Who can read my Private Conversations?

1. Can anyone read my private conversations?

No, private conversations are typically encrypted and can only be accessed by authorized parties.

2. Can the government or law enforcement agencies access my private conversations?

In some cases, law enforcement agencies may be able to access private conversations with a warrant or court order. However, this may vary depending on the laws and regulations of the country you are in.

3. Can my internet service provider (ISP) read my private conversations?

In most cases, your ISP cannot read your private conversations as they are encrypted. However, they may be able to see that you are communicating with a certain person or using a certain messaging platform.

4. Can the company or app I am using to communicate read my private conversations?

It depends on the privacy policies of the company or app. Some may have access to your private conversations for security or business purposes, while others may have end-to-end encryption in place to protect your privacy.

5. Is it possible for a hacker to read my private conversations?

If your private conversations are encrypted and you have strong security measures in place, it is unlikely that a hacker will be able to access them. However, it is important to regularly update your security and take necessary precautions to prevent hacking attempts.