Who built forts or played army as kids?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Army Kids
In summary: We had a tree in the middle, and we'd throw dirt clods at each other and run around. We also built a huge sand castle in the middle of the fort. We used to play capture the flag, and it was always a close game. Lots of fun.
franznietzsche said:
you weighed less back then, less force, less strain on your joints. I used to do the same thing off of the tallest jungle gyms i could find. Jumping from what might have been ten feet, into soft sand or sometimes those soft wood chips. When you're smaller you hit the ground with less force, so its a lot less strain on your body. If i tried jumping off of that now, i wouldn't even think about trying to land on my feet, i'd try to roll on impact, like paratroopers, to avoid breaking them.

oh... of course... note to self: evaluate the physics behind stupid childhood stunts before trying to reinact them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gale17 said:
oh... of course... note to self: evaluate the physics behind stupid childhood stunts before trying to reinact them.

hehe, what would you expect from PF?

Come on, I'm a physics major, analysis and physics are what i do.

Gale17 said:
I wish my siblings and i had found jumping off the couch to be more thrilling... but no, we opted to jump out our second story window instead. We thought we were so cool. Sometimes we'd jump out with plastic grocery bags and use them as parachutes. It was so much fun. Mum and dad hated it though, we'd get grounded and be like... heh so what, and jump out the window. The worst part was probably when mum planted her rose bush underneath the window. It wasn't quite as comortable... but it sure didn't stop us.

Actually my older sister and i, when she was like 17 and i was like 12, we thought we should try jumping out the window like we did when we were little, we realized that we were much crazier back then... I didn't remember it hurting my legs so bad...

Have you totally lost your marbles! I had to read this twice to make sure that I had it right! :bugeye:

Lol...you must have been fun to be around as a kid! :biggrin:

tribdog said:
In my first year in college I bet everyone I could do a back flip off the couch in the common room. we got a couple of mattresses out and I climbed up on the couch, jumped, flipped, landed right on my face, damn near snapped my back in half.

All I have to say to that is:

1.) Sounds like a fun thing to do in college :biggrin:
2.) OUCH... :cry:

misskitty said:
Have you totally lost your marbles! I had to read this twice to make sure that I had it right! :bugeye:

Lol...you must have been fun to be around as a kid! :biggrin:

Or expensive, if you consider medical bills

franznietzsche said:
Or expensive, if you consider medical bills

i've actually never even been to the hospital. I remember growing up always wishing i could break a leg or arm so i could have one of those cool casts... but nope, no matter how completely reckless we were, i was never hurt. No worries though, I'm only just now a college student, perhaps i'll make like tribdog and break something afterall

Probably both. Wouldn't surprise me...:wink:

Gale17 said:
i've actually never even been to the hospital. I remember growing up always wishing i could break a leg or arm so i could have one of those cool casts... but nope, no matter how completely reckless we were, i was never hurt. No worries though, I'm only just now a college student, perhaps i'll make like tribdog and break something afterall

That may sound cool...but trust me its the last thing you'll ever wish for. Take it from someone who spent a lot of time in the emergency room because of stupid childhood stunts. Lol, you'll have plenty of make up time if you have kids someday.

Gale17 said:

Not likely. I haven't managed to break anything important yet. Not even a shot glass.

Yeah, lobotomies are expensive.

Mk said:
Yeah, lobotomies are expensive.

The hell?

non sequitur?

Ok, this is probably random, but all this thinking about when i was a kid... i just can't resist mentioning it.

I don't know if anyone else has ever tried it. But you know those fold out couches that fold out to a bed? well, when we were kids, we used to fold each other up in them. It was so cool. If you know how fold-outs work, they have that one part by your head that bends so you can sit up and watch the tv. So you fold up half the bed, and lay on that part, then someone lifts the bed and starts to fold it in. You have to scramble around that one little part that folds up and get beneath it as the rest of the couch folds on top of you. It was cool. I just remember thinking how neat it was to see how the inside of the couch worked. The space was really small though, and by the time i was like 8 and 9 i was getting too big to do it. It was a blast though. We'd put the cushions back on sometimes while one of us was still folded in there and just watch tv as they screamed. Oh man, that was one of our favorite games.

Gale17 said:
We'd put the cushions back on sometimes while one of us was still folded in there and just watch tv as they screamed. Oh man, that was one of our favorite games.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

That's great!

Oh, i wish i had thought of that.

Gale17 said:
We'd put the cushions back on sometimes while one of us was still folded in there and just watch tv as they screamed. Oh man, that was one of our favorite games.
But... did you jump on it as they screamed? Now that would be fun! :devil:

franznietzsche said:
non sequitur?
You're right

What the hell? How did four people post before me and mess up my joke?

I remember playing a heckova lotta war games by myself, cannons, forts, rifles, I made and played with it all...

...the days :)

B-Con said:
I remember playing a heckova lotta war games by myself, cannons, forts, rifles, I made and played with it all...

...the days :)

War games by yourself...

Did you ever lose?

I played like that too, sometimes I lost, but usually I won.

misskitty said:
I can agree with that! Thats a HUGE teepee!

How long did it take you to build that sucker?

It actually took an entire summer, but it lasted a few months until someone found it.

What about SNOW FORTS! Oh my god, those were the best. Winter sucks now, global warming did have an impact and I can tell.

So much fun! :eek:

I always used to build forts/bunkers in the forrests. One time when we entered there was a forest ranger standing at the entrance, asking if we had seen anyone digging in the forest.. ofcourse we played dumb :smile: turned out that heavy duty digging equipment was used to destroy our bunker :smile: we didn't build anything after that..

JasonRox said:
It actually took an entire summer, but it lasted a few months until someone found it.

What about SNOW FORTS! Oh my god, those were the best. Winter sucks now, global warming did have an impact and I can tell.

So much fun! :eek:

We'd always buildd snow forts every winter. I loved it. I always made the coolest ones. So cool in fact that my little brother and sister would get really jealous and go inside. I didn't care, i'd sit out there for hours perfecting my forts. One time, we wanted to make one big enough for all three of us and our friends. So we rolled big balls (like for snow men) and put them in a circle, filled in the gaps, and topped them with sleds and more snow. You could fit 6 kids inside under the roof. It was the coolest ever.

I cheated slightly on snow forts. We could never quite get the right dome shape for the roof to keep it from collapsing (okay, we tried making igloos rather than forts, close enough), so just built square walls, tossed a sheet of plywood on top for the roof, and hid the plywood with snow. We didn't do it often because it was rare to get a snowfall of the right kind of snow to really pack well. Didn't get to make many snowmen either...you just can't make them out of that really fluffy snow. (As an aside, it was an interesting experience to walk around the student housing in MI after big snowfalls; their snowmen were very, um, creative and some even anatomically correct; well, as correct as I presume a snowman or snowwoman can get. :bugeye:)

Gale17 said:
We'd always buildd snow forts every winter. I loved it. I always made the coolest ones. So cool in fact that my little brother and sister would get really jealous and go inside. I didn't care, i'd sit out there for hours perfecting my forts. One time, we wanted to make one big enough for all three of us and our friends. So we rolled big balls (like for snow men) and put them in a circle, filled in the gaps, and topped them with sleds and more snow. You could fit 6 kids inside under the roof. It was the coolest ever.

I went on a college trip up north (northern ontario) in the winter, and we built two really big "forts". You can fit 6 people in them, well we slept in them too. It was really cool.

It's actually not that cold when you sleep outside in a snowfort.

Note: Yes, I was comfortable.

forts treehouses diging trenches to play army
we even had a real 50cal machine gun [minus the guts and way rusty]
and lots of other surplus military junk [early cold war kids]
empty lots as battle sites
I GOT YOU , NO YOU MISSED as the never ending battle cry
back in the days when parents thru you out all day to go play
just be home by dinner time