White dwarf mass-radius relationship

In summary: In the middle, you get a rather complicated interpolation between the two limits.In summary, the mass-radius relationship for a white dwarf star is defined by a complex equation involving physical constants and numerical factors. However, for a solar mass white dwarf, the relationship simplifies to R/R(solar)=0.010(M(solar)/M)^.333, where the factor of 0.010 represents the net heat lost by the white dwarf to reach its smaller size compared to the Sun. This relationship is valid until the white dwarf reaches the Chandrasekhar mass, where it becomes highly relativistic and collapses into a neutron star.
MattWakes
The mass-radius relationship for a white dwarf star is defined by :

R= (9pi)^0.66 /8 * h^2/m1 * 1/(Gm2^1.66*M^.333),

where m1= electron mass, m2=proton mass, G=grav. constant, h=planck's constant
I want to take a proportion with the solar mass and solar radius, which would involve a division where I think everything should cancel out. But then for one solar mass, a white dwarf would have a radius equal to that of the Sun. I've found that the following is the correct relationship:

R/R(solar)=0.010(M(solar)/M)^.333

But where in the world does the factor of 0.010 come from?

If anything needs to be explained more clearly, please let me know.
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yeah I guess there are variations to the equation out there. Would the constants not also divide out in the equation that you have mentioned, though?

MattWakes said:

White dwarfs are smaller than main sequence stars. The 0.01 tells you how much smaller. (And it's made up of h's and c's and pi's and the like)

Your formula includes various physical constants and numerical factors, you are supposed to plug those in and see what you get. That's where the 0.01 comes from, there's no reason to expect those physical constants would yield a solar-radius white dwarf if it has a solar mass, because the physics of the Sun is very different from the physics of a white dwarf. In particular, a white dwarf has lost a whole lot of net heat, relative to the Sun, and that's why it is so much smaller. So the answer to your question is, the 0.01 comes from all that net heat that the white dwarf had to lose to get to a white dwarf.

MattWakes said:
The mass-radius relationship for a white dwarf star is defined by :

R= (9pi)^0.66 /8 * h^2/m1 * 1/(Gm2^1.66*M^.333),

where m1= electron mass, m2=proton mass, G=grav. constant, h=planck's constant
I want to take a proportion with the solar mass and solar radius, which would involve a division where I think everything should cancel out. But then for one solar mass, a white dwarf would have a radius equal to that of the Sun. I've found that the following is the correct relationship:

R/R(solar)=0.010(M(solar)/M)^.333

If anything needs to be explained more clearly, please let me know.
Thank you very much!

All you need to know to figure out a relation like R/R(solar)=X*(M(solar)/M)^(1/3) is to know that ##R\sim M^{1/3}## and how large a solar mass white dwarf is. I think this is perhaps easier than trying to figure out how all the constants work out. Once you know how big a solar-mass white dwarf is, you can plug in 1 solar mass to the right hand side of the equation and get that R/R(solar)=X. That's where the .01 comes from. A solar mass white dwarf will have a radius that is 1/100th the radius of the Sun (or about 6900km). Of course, this relationship fails quite dramatically as M reaches 1.4 solar masses, and so it's not like the range of validity of this relationship is all that broad in the first place.

Hi guys,
A white dwarf is a polytrope with index n=3 since it is relativistic and degenerate.
For all the polytropes, the mass radius relation is: M~R(n-3)/(n-1). So for a white dwarf the mass is independent of the radius.

White dwarfs are generally not particularly relativistic. You are talking about what happens as the mass approaches the "Chandrasekhar mass." That mass is independent of the radius because it is just one mass, generally about 1.4 solar masses, where the white dwarf goes highly relativistic, and that is also where it collapses into a neutron star. In the opposite limit of a lower-mass white dwarf, it is nonrelativistic so has a polytrope index of n=3/2, and a mass-radius relationship that radius scales like mass to the -1/3 power, as above.

Related to White dwarf mass-radius relationship

1. What is a white dwarf?

A white dwarf is a type of star that has reached the end of its life cycle and has exhausted all of its nuclear fuel. It is the final stage of evolution for stars with a mass similar to that of our Sun.

2. How does the mass of a white dwarf affect its radius?

The more massive a white dwarf is, the smaller its radius will be. This is because the mass of a white dwarf is supported by electron degeneracy pressure, and as the mass increases, the pressure also increases, making the star more compact.

3. What is the maximum mass a white dwarf can have?

The maximum mass a white dwarf can have is known as the Chandrasekhar limit, which is approximately 1.4 times the mass of our Sun. If a white dwarf were to exceed this limit, it would collapse and become a neutron star or a black hole.

4. How does the composition of a white dwarf affect its mass-radius relationship?

The composition of a white dwarf can affect its mass-radius relationship in two ways. First, a white dwarf made mostly of carbon and oxygen will have a smaller radius compared to one made of heavier elements like iron. Second, the presence of heavier elements can increase the mass of a white dwarf, making it more compact and decreasing its radius.

5. How is the mass-radius relationship of a white dwarf related to its luminosity?

The mass-radius relationship of a white dwarf is not directly related to its luminosity. A white dwarf's luminosity is mainly determined by its surface temperature, which is dependent on its mass and age. A more massive white dwarf will have a higher surface temperature and therefore a higher luminosity.