Which would be strongest (popsicle stick bridges)?

• Thread starter Sean1218
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridges
In summary, the conversation discusses the best design for a popsicle stick bridge and the use of white glue versus hot glue. The question of whether a triangle or an uneven arch would be stronger is brought up, along with the possibility of filling in the structure and using a combination of hot glue and white glue. There are concerns about the time it takes for white glue to dry and the difficulty of building the bridge alone. The specs for the bridge include a minimum length of 55cm, a minimum width of 4cm, and a maximum weight of 200g. The aim of the project is to have the bridge hold the largest possible mass. The conversation ends with a request for tips and a link to a helpful resource.
Sean1218
In a popsicle stick bridge, would it be stronger to have the sides be in the form of a triangle, or a sort of uneven arch. I can cut the popsicle sticks to help make an arch (or use full ones), but it'll be difficult, and probably won't be done so well. It might just be better to stick with a triangle. What about filling inside it? What sort of truss would be best?

Also, could use white glue or hot glue. The problem is that white glue takes so long to dry. It's just me building it, and I can't hold different parts at once and use clamps and everything. I don't have weeks to work on it, doing small bits at a time either. I feel like white glue isn't possible for me, even though it may be stronger (is it?). Any suggestions to make it easier to use white glue, if you think that's necessary? What about applying a small amount of white glue at joints on both of the two connecting popsicle stick, and applying hot glue in between? That'd probably give it immediate hold, no? Plus, it'd only get stronger as the white glue dries (as far as I know).

I know the very basics in that triangles are important etc., but I'm having trouble putting it all together to think of what could hold the heaviest load. There's just so many possible designs.

Specs for bridge are as follows:

• materials are hot glue/white glue, popsicle sticks and plyers (to cut sticks if needed)
  • at least 55cm in length (gap beneath the bridge will be 55cm so it needs to have room to balance on the two desks)
  • min width is 4cm
  • max 200g
  • popsicle sticks can be cut
  • have to use white glue, hot glue, or both
  • aim of the project is to have the bridge hold the largest possible mass (rope hanging from the top, attached to a load hanging below; it's all concentrated in the middle of the bridge)
Anyone have some tips for me? Thanks!

edit: Probably going to just use white glue since it'll be stronger overall. How should I go about building it with white glue? Maybe build separate smaller pieces, then put them all together at the end?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This might be of some help. http://www.instructables.com/id/Popsicle-Stick-Bridge/".

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was thinking of doing that, but that's the design that most people in my class are doing. I'd like to do something different at least.

Related to Which would be strongest (popsicle stick bridges)?

1. How do you determine which popsicle stick bridge is the strongest?

The strength of a popsicle stick bridge is determined by its ability to withstand a certain amount of weight before breaking. This can be tested by gradually adding weight to the bridge until it collapses. The bridge that can hold the most weight before breaking is considered the strongest.

2. What factors contribute to the strength of a popsicle stick bridge?

The design and construction of the bridge are the main factors that contribute to its strength. A well-designed bridge with evenly distributed weight and strong joints will be more likely to withstand a heavier load. The type and quality of popsicle sticks used can also play a role in the strength of the bridge.

3. Are there any specific techniques or methods for building a strong popsicle stick bridge?

Yes, there are various techniques and methods that can be used to build a strong popsicle stick bridge. Some common techniques include truss design, using multiple layers of popsicle sticks, and reinforcing joints with glue or additional sticks. It is also important to evenly distribute weight and ensure that all joints are secure.

4. How do you test the strength of a popsicle stick bridge?

The strength of a popsicle stick bridge can be tested by gradually adding weight to the center of the bridge until it collapses. It is important to add weight slowly and evenly to ensure accurate results. Additionally, the bridge should be tested multiple times to confirm its strength and stability.

5. Can different types of popsicle sticks affect the strength of a bridge?

Yes, different types of popsicle sticks can have varying levels of strength, which can ultimately affect the strength of a bridge. Popsicle sticks made from different materials, such as balsa wood or bamboo, may have different weight and strength capacities. It is important to research and choose the best quality popsicle sticks for building a strong bridge.