Which way does the tanker truck move on frictionless surface?

In summary, a full tanker parked on a frictionless road and with an outlet pipe on the left side will move to the right when the pipe is opened. This is due to the center of gravity shifting to the left when the water exits, creating a force that pulls the water to the left and the tanker to the right. The acceleration will increase as long as the water runs out, and without friction, the tanker will continue to move until the water runs out.
Kimia

Homework Statement

A tanker which is full of water is parked on a road without friction. The tanker has an outlet pipe which is on the left side. if we open this pipe does the tanker move? describe the tanker's movement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The tanker moves to right because the center of gravity of the hole system (all of the water and tanker) moves to left and as a result of that there is a force which pulls the water to left and the reaction pulls the tanker to the right. but the question is then what happens? the tanker accelerates more and more when the water exit but after the hole water exit will it stop or will it continue with the last amount of acceleration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no friction, what would stop the tanker once the water runs out?

Likes 1 person
phinds said:
If there is no friction, what would stop the tanker once the water runs out?
I agree I just wanted to make sure. so the whole solution is correct? I mean it moves right? and the acceleration will increase as long as the water runs out?

Kimia said:
I agree I just wanted to make sure. so the whole solution is correct? I mean it moves right? and the acceleration will increase as long as the water runs out?

Sounds right to me, although I think an outlet HOLE would make the problem simpler than an "outlet pipe" because if such a pipe runs for a ways out of the truck, I think that complicates things just a little right at the end.

Likes 1 person
phinds said:
Sounds right to me, although I think an outlet HOLE would make the problem simpler than an "outlet pipe" because if such a pipe runs for a ways out of the truck, I think that complicates things just a little right at the end.
yes it was something like a hole. The purpose of the problem was to picture something which water comes out of it I think.

Related to Which way does the tanker truck move on frictionless surface?

1. What is a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is a theoretical surface that has no resistance to movement or sliding. It is an idealized concept used in physics to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of objects in motion.

2. How does a tanker truck move on a frictionless surface?

On a frictionless surface, the tanker truck would move in a straight line with a constant velocity, as there would be no external forces acting on it to change its motion.

3. What factors affect the movement of a tanker truck on a frictionless surface?

On a frictionless surface, the only factors that would affect the movement of a tanker truck are its mass and the force applied to it. The truck's mass determines its inertia, or resistance to changes in motion, while the force applied to it determines its acceleration.

4. How does the absence of friction impact the movement of a tanker truck?

The absence of friction allows the tanker truck to move with minimal resistance, resulting in a smoother and more efficient movement. This means that the truck would require less force to maintain its speed or change its direction.

5. Can a tanker truck move on a completely frictionless surface in real life?

No, a completely frictionless surface does not exist in real life. While some surfaces, such as ice or air, may have very low friction, they still have some resistance to motion. In addition, external forces such as air resistance and gravity would also affect the movement of a tanker truck in real life.