Impossibility of unforced movement on a frictionless surface

In summary, a cube with substantial mass sitting on a horizontal, frictionless surface will not move when the surface is moved horizontally, as there is no horizontal force being applied to the cube. This is because in an idealized situation of a frictionless surface, there is no resistance to motion, allowing the surface to move freely underneath the cube without affecting its position. While this may seem paradoxical, it simply means that in this idealized situation, the cube is not experiencing any external forces that would cause it to move.
richardL

Homework Statement

New to physics forum, so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place, but it seems to me that this is a homework-type or basic physics question. Here it is: You have a perfect cube with substantial mass sitting on a flat frictionless surface. The surface plane is parallel to the surface of the Earth (the surface normal is parallel to the gravitational force). The surface is moved horizontally, remaining at all times parallel to the Earth's surface. It seems to me that, irrespective of the speed of movement of the surface, whether very fast or very slow, the cube will never move, as the surface is frictionless. Without friction, how will a horizontal force be applied to the block. The surface will simply move under the cube, which will remain in its resting position in space.

Obviously the cube is sitting on the surface (touching the surface). But no friction. So how can it move under these ideal conditions? And how can something be touching but no friction? Is this paradoxical behavior in this ideal situation. [/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've thought about it, to no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
richardL said:

Homework Statement

New to physics forum, so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place, but it seems to me that this is a homework-type or basic physics question. Here it is: You have a perfect cube with substantial mass sitting on a flat frictionless surface. The surface plane is parallel to the surface of the Earth (the surface normal is parallel to the gravitational force). The surface is moved horizontally, remaining at all times parallel to the Earth's surface. It seems to me that, irrespective of the speed of movement of the surface, whether very fast or very slow, the cube will never move, as the surface is frictionless. Without friction, how will a horizontal force be applied to the block. The surface will simply move under the cube, which will remain in its resting position in space.

Obviously the cube is sitting on the surface (touching the surface). But no friction. So how can it move under these ideal conditions? And how can something be touching but no friction? Is this paradoxical behavior in this ideal situation. [/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've thought about it, to no avail.

You've got the answer. The only thing you needed to add was that the idealised situation of a totally frictionless surface is, of course, physically impossible.

But, in fact, another way to think about the term "frictionless surface" is that it really means "friction is sufficiently small to be ignored".

Related to Impossibility of unforced movement on a frictionless surface

1. What is the concept of "impossibility of unforced movement on a frictionless surface"?

The concept refers to the fact that, in theory, an object cannot move on a frictionless surface without any external force acting upon it. This is because there is no resistance to counteract the inertia of the object, so it will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed.

2. Why is it impossible for an object to move on a frictionless surface without any external force?

This is due to Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia. It states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

3. Can an object on a frictionless surface ever stop moving?

No, since there is no friction to slow down or stop the object, it will continue to move indefinitely.

4. How does friction affect the movement of objects on a surface?

Friction acts as a force that opposes the motion of an object. It causes objects to slow down and eventually come to a stop. Without friction, objects would continue to move forever, as seen in the impossibility of unforced movement on a frictionless surface.

5. Is it possible to create a completely frictionless surface?

In theory, yes, but in practice, it is nearly impossible to achieve. There will always be some level of resistance or imperfections on a surface, even if it is considered "frictionless." Additionally, objects in motion will still experience air resistance, which can slow them down over time.