Which University and Major is Best for a Career in Pure Physics or Engineering?

In summary: Zz.I would not expect a lot of math courses to coincide with engineering, but I would expect a lot of math and physics courses to coincide. Most engineering programs will have physics and math as required courses, so you would be getting a good foundation in both fields.
Mozart
I'm sure a lot of folk have had to make tough decisions when faced to decide what they want to do for the rest of their lives. It seems I have 2 years to decide what I want to do for a living. I've narrowed it down to either studying pure physics, or aerospace engineering. I love the idea of both of them, and could see myself enjoying the profession.

So which factors would sway my decison? What's the schooling like for the two? I'd imagine that in most cases an aerospace engineer receives the larger income. What else is there to consider? Oh and by the way if I were to study physics I'd be doing so at Mcgill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada since it is so close to where I live. If I were to study aerospace engineering I am not sure which university I would have to go to. I think Concordia may offer a masters degree program in aerospace engineering.

Thanks for the feedback...if there will be any.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I just went through the exact same dilemma last year in college. I started out taking the initial classes an aerospace engineer would take, but throughout the year, I realized more and more that engineering just wasn't for me. I still love math and science, but I felt that engineering was not the path for me, so Physics it was.

Now my reasons for choosing that included that I just did not have what engineering takes, plus I thought it was really boring...but another view I had was that Physics is a broader subject, and thus, if I so desired, I could master in a field of engineering if I so desired to. But remember, these are my reasons. You just need to find what you think you would enjoy better. Application of ideas, or the finding of the ideas. Just my thoughts on the matter, hope that helps.

When you say that you just did not have what engineering takes are you implying that it is more difficult?

Can someone first tell me what exactly does it mean to major in "pure physics"? I have never heard of such a major. Is this something that only Canadian schools have?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can someone first tell me what exactly does it mean to major in "pure physics"? I have never heard of such a major. Is this something that only Canadian schools have?

Zz.

I don't know why I wrote pure infront of it. Maybe I was going to write pure sciences but then wrote physics by accident. Anyways I just simply mean physics.

Mozart said:
I don't know why I wrote pure infront of it. Maybe I was going to write pure sciences but then wrote physics by accident. Anyways I just simply mean physics.

I would have then asked "what's pure science"?

Let me ask you another thing. What do you think is involved in a physics major, all the way to graduate school? Do you think, for example, that there's no "technical" aspect of it, such as an electronics class, or anything that deals with applications, or areas that you actually work with your hands building and repairing stuff? I'm trying to figure out here if all you think that is part of a physics program is nothing more than theoretical study of some esoteric topics?

Zz.

Mozart said:
When you say that you just did not have what engineering takes are you implying that it is more difficult?

Not necessarily more difficult. Both studies are rigorous by any standards, but I just never had the engineering mind of building something from scrath. I would much rather study the world and its mysteries, and I seem to believe studying Physics will help me do that. I also would much rather read a Physics book than an engineering book. Anyways, that's what I meant.

ZapperZ said:

Let me ask you another thing. What do you think is involved in a physics major, all the way to graduate school? Do you think, for example, that there's no "technical" aspect of it, such as an electronics class, or anything that deals with applications, or areas that you actually work with your hands building and repairing stuff? I'm trying to figure out here if all you think that is part of a physics program is nothing more than theoretical study of some esoteric topics?

Zz.

When I say pure science I'm trying to distinguish between physics- which I imply is the pure science despite the possible fact that it may be incorrect to use the term the way I did- and a social science like economics for instance.

What do I expect hmm... a lot of mathematics courses to coincide with the increasingly difficult physics courses, fun :smile: , hard work , and sure I would expect hands on training with a wide array of devices considering the fact that physicists tend to work with cutting edge technology that their huge ideas, and observations demand.

Mozart said:
When I say pure science I'm trying to distinguish between physics- which I imply is the pure science despite the possible fact that it may be incorrect to use the term the way I did- and a social science like economics for instance.

I think "hard science" vs. "soft science" would work better here.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Here in Australia, there is some degree of that. Nearly all universities have separate faculties for engineering and science (and even IT in some places), although - depending on the university - engineering does sometimes "borrow" units from the science and business faculties. Consequently, what you'll find is that a science degree with, say, a physics major will focus on the concepts and principles (backed up, of course, by laboratories and demonstrations) whereas an engineering degree student will take these concepts and concentrate on their applications. That, I think, would be a reasonable definition of what "pure" science is - the concepts rather than the applications - but the term isn't as relevant here with entirely different faculties for both.

Aside from that, I'm reasonably certain that Mozart wasn't implying there was no experimental/laboratory component to a physics major. ;)

Hawknc said:
Here in Australia, there is some degree of that. Nearly all universities have separate faculties for engineering and science (and even IT in some places), although - depending on the university - engineering does sometimes "borrow" units from the science and business faculties. Consequently, what you'll find is that a science degree with, say, a physics major will focus on the concepts and principles (backed up, of course, by laboratories and demonstrations) whereas an engineering degree student will take these concepts and concentrate on their applications. That, I think, would be a reasonable definition of what "pure" science is - the concepts rather than the applications - but the term isn't as relevant here with entirely different faculties for both.

Aside from that, I'm reasonably certain that Mozart wasn't implying there was no experimental/laboratory component to a physics major. ;)

so if someone has a bachelor of pure physics or electronics which major and which university do you advice someone like me who lives in lebanon but was born in australlia ?? details please

Related to Which University and Major is Best for a Career in Pure Physics or Engineering?

What is pure physics and engineering?

Pure physics and engineering are two separate fields of study, but they often overlap. Pure physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, while engineering is the application of these principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

What is the difference between pure physics and engineering?

The main difference between pure physics and engineering is their focus. Pure physics is more theoretical and focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature, while engineering is more practical and focuses on using those laws to solve real-world problems.

What career opportunities are available in pure physics and engineering?

Pure physics and engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities in areas such as research and development, design, construction, manufacturing, and consulting. Some common job titles include physicist, engineer, research scientist, and design engineer.

What skills are needed for a career in pure physics and engineering?

To succeed in pure physics and engineering, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics and science, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative and interdisciplinary environment.

What are some current developments in pure physics and engineering?

Some current developments in pure physics and engineering include advancements in renewable energy technology, quantum computing, and nanotechnology. There is also ongoing research in areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, and materials science that continue to push the boundaries of our understanding of the universe and improve our daily lives.