Which term should be chosen for u(x) in integration by parts?

In summary: So x is the derivative to use. In summary, Daniel suggests that you use the derivative of x^2 to solve the indefinite integral.
zanazzi78
ok i`m really struggling with the concept.
I've been asked to find the indefinite integral of;

[tex] \int \frac{x^2}{(2+ x^3)} dx [/tex]

so before i beg for the answer could someone confirm that i`ve got the right rule to solve this;

[tex] \int u(x) v'(x) = [ u(x) v(x)] - \int v(x) u'(x) [/tex]

if this is right would you mind giving a suggestion to what u(x) to use?

p.s. i may have to edit this if latex doesn`t come out right I've been having trouble with it and only jointed the forum a few day's ago!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is the correct formula (it's surely in your textbook), but I don't see any good reason for using integration by parts. That's a fairly standard anti-derivative: look up "arctangent".

I`ve just edited it. Now it`s integration by parts! see I`m getting all flustered

Actually, you still don't need integration by parts. Substituting [itex]u = x^3[/itex] will simplify it to a standard form.

Anyways, since differentiation is in some sense the inverse operation to integration, every differentiation rule yields an integration rule. I'm sure you remember the product rule:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(f(x) g(x)) = f^\prime (x) g(x) + g^\prime (x) f(x)[/tex]

Rearraging the equation above gives

[tex] f(x) g^\prime (x) = \left[f(x) g(x)\right]^\prime - f^\prime(x)g(x)[/tex]

And integrating both sides with respect to x gives

[tex] \int f(x) g^\prime (x) \ dx = \int \left(\frac{d}{dx} (f(x) g(x)) - f^\prime(x)g(x)\right) \ dx[/tex]

but certainly, [tex] \int \frac{d}{dx}(f(x)g(x)) \ dx = f(x)g(x)[/tex], so this just reduces to

[tex] \int f(x)g^\prime (x) \ dx = f(x)g(x) - \int g(x) f^\prime (x) \ dx[/tex]

which is what your teacher probably called the formula for integration by parts.

Last edited:
[tex] x^{2}dx=\frac{1}{3}d(2+x^{3}) [/tex] so the integration is simple...

Daniel.

zanazzi78 said:
ok i`m really struggling with the concept.
I've been asked to find the indefinite integral of;

[tex] \int \frac{x^2}{(2+ x^3)} dx [/tex]

so before i beg for the answer could someone confirm that i`ve got the right rule to solve this;

[tex] \int u(x) v'(x) = [ u(x) v(x)] - \int v(x) u'(x) [/tex]

if this is right would you mind giving a suggestion to what u(x) to use?

p.s. i may have to edit this if latex doesn`t come out right I've been having trouble with it and only jointed the forum a few day's ago!
As others have said, you don't have to use integration by parts to solve this, but ...

Pick the term whose derivative will eventually go to zero (the soonest). In this case, it's x^2. First derivative is 2x. Second derivative is 2. Third derivative is 0.

Related to Which term should be chosen for u(x) in integration by parts?

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals of functions that can be expressed as a product of two other functions.

2. When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand cannot be easily integrated using other techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. How does integration by parts work?

The technique of integration by parts involves using the product rule of differentiation to rewrite the integral in a different form, which may be easier to integrate.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of the variable of integration and du and dv are their respective differentials.

5. What are some common applications of integration by parts?

Integration by parts is used in various areas of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and probability. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving work, energy, and power.