Which summer class makes me a more marketable ME?

In summary: I think you should take the AutoCad class. That way you will be able to create prints that look like they were made with a computer. And you will have the skills to create prints even if you're not taking the class. Plus, the class is only for 16 weeks, so it won't take up too much of your time.
karen03grae
Okay...I have to decide today (due to uncontrollable circumstances) amongst the following classes: Digital Fundamentals, AutoCad Drafting class, or Introduction to C Programming.

Which would make me more valuable to employers looking for an intern? Digital Fundamentals deals with truth tables and circuitry. It sounds like the most fun. But I don't want to be sitting in an interview and the interviewer asks me "So, do you have an experience in 'C' or 'AutoCad'?"

So any advice is appreciated.

-Karen

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
C has a larger range of application, hence I would go for that

For an ME, I would definitely go for the AutoCAD classes ESPECIALLY if you have no drafting or technicla drawing experience. The other classes are good to have, but the drafting is a basic core concept you must be proficient at.

I've done all kinds of 3d solid modeling..but no AutoCad...this is a tough decision...

Which ever you chosse you can always learn the others in your own time, so it won't stop you fgrom listing it on your CV ;)

What is a CV? I've been looking through some of the skills that various companies want; these companies recruit interns from my school. I'm seeing a lot of AutoCad.

I would be with Fred here, but if you can do solid modelling, you'll easily be able to pick up AutoCad in your spare time, on your own.

If you were a sparky, I'd definitely say choose C, but you're a clanky so I'm not so sure.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but how about you pick the one which interests you?

Oh, and a CV is what those crazy USians call a resume. Where I come from, resume means to get back to work!

Thank you for your advice Brewnog. And thanks to everyone else as well. I think I'm going to take AutoCad because I don't want to work at the mall next summer. That is true that I could learn it by myself but I don't know if I am disciplined enough to do that right now. Plus I don't have access to it. The class that most interests me is the digital fundamentals class. I know I would love it...but I have to look at the AutoCad class as an investment. Because in the fall, I will start interviewing again. So work now and play later is theme I'm going with on my decision.

-Clanky Karen

karen03grae said:
Thank you for your advice Brewnog. And thanks to everyone else as well. I think I'm going to take AutoCad because I don't want to work at the mall next summer. That is true that I could learn it by myself but I don't know if I am disciplined enough to do that right now. Plus I don't have access to it. The class that most interests me is the digital fundamentals class. I know I would love it...but I have to look at the AutoCad class as an investment. Because in the fall, I will start interviewing again. So work now and play later is theme I'm going with on my decision.

-Clanky Karen

I'm sure you've made a good decision. I suppose having 'proof' of your AutoCad abilities will make you more attractive on the job market. Don't let your solid modelling skills slide though, you're highly likely to need them.

Well done adopting the Clanky label too, you're one of us now... :smile:

karen03grae said:
I've done all kinds of 3d solid modeling..but no AutoCad...this is a tough decision...
Just as a note (and a bit of a pet peeve of mine):

Solid modelling does not usually prepare students in the art of print reading and drafting. I have seen a lot of people that are very proficient in solid modelling that are complete crap when it comes to making a proper engineering print. Most classes simply don't teach it. That is why I was leaning towards the AutoCAD class. Since it is a "manual" program that requires the operator to have a good working knowledge of drafting skills as well as how to push the buttons, I would consider this a valuable class for you.

Please, please, please, before you leave your school, make sure you have a thorough understanding of how to read and create proper engineering prints. You will not be sorry you did so. I promise.

I'm in the class. I have a test tomorrow...scratch that...my test is today...but it seems like a cool class so far. Except that I'm a week behind the other kids and I just got my book tonight. But I think it will be useful in the long run. We even get a fancy certificate at the end of the class.

I can understand your pet peeve Fred. But before I had solid modeling, I had a semester of drafting by hand. We learned about hidden lines, ortho views...man we even had to complete the ortho view by adding the necessary hidden lines/center lines/ect when they gave us a top and front and right...that was hard...but I'm rambling now...and I'm tired...gnight

Good luck with the test, karen.

Fred, I'm proud to say that I went to the only university in the UK which still teaches traditional drawing board skills alongside CAD. Hours of fun!

I thought I'd update everyone on how my marketable summer class really turned out to be. I'm drafting for a real engineering company now! Hurrayyyy! No more retail jobs. And I got a 90/100 on my last differential equations test and a 90/100 on my last statics class. But I'm not sure how much theory I'm learning in diff. eq; the other day I had 10 questions (conceptual) for my professor and I e-mailed them to him. He never answered and I'm not sure if it is because he wants me to search harder for the answers or because he thinks my questions are irrelevant to the course. They kind of are because we are trained in that class to recognize certain problems and go through this memorized method to solve them. Anyways, I hope all is well here in the forums...

-Karen

karen, good for you !

In case you're interested, Brewnog graduated from university (UMIST) a few months ago, and now works for Caterpillar (if I'm not mistaken).

Related to Which summer class makes me a more marketable ME?

1. What are the most in-demand summer classes for ME majors?

The most in-demand summer classes for ME majors vary depending on the current job market, but some popular options include courses in advanced materials, renewable energy, and engineering design.

2. Will taking a summer class really make me more marketable as an ME?

Yes, taking a summer class can definitely make you more marketable as an ME. It shows that you are dedicated to your field and constantly seeking to improve your skills and knowledge.

3. Are there any specific summer classes that are highly recommended for ME students?

There are numerous summer classes that are highly recommended for ME students, such as courses in computer-aided design (CAD), manufacturing processes, and project management.

4. Can taking a summer class help me stand out to potential employers?

Absolutely. Taking a summer class can show potential employers that you are proactive, motivated, and have a strong desire to continuously learn and grow in your field.

5. Is it better to take a summer class at my university or at a different institution?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and what is available to you. Taking a summer class at your university can be convenient and allow you to continue building relationships with professors, while taking a class at a different institution can offer a new perspective and expand your network.