Which Star Trek TNG episode deals with memory and civil rights?

In summary: character has to be French?Since Patrick Stewart is from near Leeds why couldn't he play it as a Yorkshireman?
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
One of my all time favorite episodes of TNG will be on the sci-fi channel tonight at 7PM CST. Picard is knocked unconscious by a probe and lives another man's life on a long dead planet. This is the show where he learns to play the recorder.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I like that one too, with his little flute. That one's a classic.

Patrick Stewart kicks bottom. Very sentimental episode but interesting to see Picard struggle against and then accept another life style.

Kurdt said:
Patrick Stewart kicks bottom.
But why does the character have to be French?
Since Steward is from near Leeds why couldn't he play it as a Yorkshireman?

"Them chuffing borg ar going to get a reight kicking"
"Mek is so Mr Warf - sithee"

I miss the days of good TV. I would wait all week for the new episode of STNG to air. Now I might log 5 hours a week total TV time. I just can't get into any of the new reality stuff, save for of course Hell's Kitchen. I hope someday we'll have some great sci-fi again.

Ronnin said:
I miss the days of good TV. I would wait all week for the new episode of STNG to air. Now I might log 5 hours a week total TV time. I just can't get into any of the new reality stuff, save for of course Hell's Kitchen. I hope someday we'll have some great sci-fi again.
Amen! I have Babylon 5 in its entirety, including all the "movies", on DVD. That show rocked! Best of all, the characters all evolved over time, and all had strengths and weaknesses that exhibited themselves with changing conditions. Many times, ST was little better than "Gunsmoke" with space-ships. Bab5 really out-stripped them.

Ronnin said:

What about "http://www.scifi.com/eureka/" on the SciFi channel? There's no outer space element, but it certainly tries to have a hard science fiction element to its plots, and it has great characters and humor, and a long-term plot arc that's not too overbearing (akin to how B5 included its arc). The DVDs are also encased in 100% recycled/biodegradeable materials. The third season of Eureka begins tomorrow.

Evo said:
... Picard is knocked unconscious by a probe and lives another man's life on a long dead planet. ...

Yup, definitely one of the best TNG episodes ever.

I hope he remembers to bring his shoes in tonight.

turbo-1 said:
Amen! I have Babylon 5 in its entirety, including all the "movies", on DVD. That show rocked! Best of all, the characters all evolved over time, and all had strengths and weaknesses that exhibited themselves with changing conditions. Many times, ST was little better than "Gunsmoke" with space-ships. Bab5 really out-stripped them.

LOL, I am rewatching the entire series now. I'm on episode 6 of season 4! I love B5 too!

Ronnin said:

It's a shame that Firefly did not even last 1 full season. :frown:

Holy crap, TNG is on Sci-Fi? What am I doing on PF??!?

OMG! :cry: :cry: I love so many TNG shows, but that one makes me cry like a baby. <blows nose> :cry: I don't think I will ever get tired of that episode. <blows nose> :cry:

That was SO GOOD!

Ok, I am going to stop crying. <blows nose>

I love that one :!) ! Can't wait...it's on in about 2 hours...

lisab said:
I love that one :!) ! Can't wait...it's on in about 2 hours...
Don't miss it! It's even better than you remember! <blows nose>

Redbelly98 said:
It's a shame that Firefly did not even last 1 full season. :frown:

Second that, i can not understand though how people can re watch some thing, i mean you know what is going to happen.

With a good show, you catch things the 2nd or 3rd time around that you missed on the first viewing.

Then there's the "Rocky Horror" phenomenon as well.

Kurdt said:
Patrick Stewart kicks bottom. Very sentimental episode but interesting to see Picard struggle against and then accept another life style.

that was a good one--and that's kind of how I see it, too-

-the struggle, the letting go of inescapable fate, and the acceptance of a future unfulfilled (the planet)----from a trapped but only partially involved situation (the Pickard)

Last edited by a moderator:
The next episode is excellent as well. I like the guy that plays Samuel Clemens. Great performance.

wolram: After a couple of years the memory faded, it's most of the time fun to watch something that you watched as a kid etc.

I really like that episode too, but the episode I liked the most is certainly "The measure of a man" because it's so timeless and speaks to everyone about our basic civil rights, and how they must be protected.

Related to Which Star Trek TNG episode deals with memory and civil rights?

1. What is the premise of "Inner Light" in Star Trek: TNG?

The episode "Inner Light" follows Captain Jean-Luc Picard as he experiences a lifetime of memories in the span of minutes, through a mysterious probe launched by a long-dead civilization. He lives an entire life as Kamin, a scientist on a dying planet, and learns valuable lessons about love, family, and sacrifice.

2. How does the concept of time play a role in "Inner Light"?

The episode explores the idea of time and its relativity, as Picard's consciousness is transported to his alternate life on the dying planet. Despite only experiencing a few minutes in real-time, he lives an entire lifetime as Kamin, showing how time is subjective and can be perceived differently.

3. Who are some of the main characters in "Inner Light"?

In addition to Captain Picard/Kamin, other main characters include Eline, Kamin's wife; Batai, Kamin's mentor; and Meribor, Kamin's daughter. These characters play important roles in Picard's alternate life and help shape his experiences and emotions.

4. What is the significance of the flute in "Inner Light"?

The flute is a significant symbol in the episode, representing Picard's connection to his alternate life as Kamin. It also serves as a reminder of the life he lived and the lessons he learned, even after returning to his own reality. The tune he plays on the flute also becomes a recurring theme throughout the series.

5. How does "Inner Light" compare to other Star Trek: TNG episodes?

"Inner Light" is often regarded as one of the best episodes of Star Trek: TNG, and has been praised for its emotional depth and exploration of complex themes. It also stands out for its focus on Picard as the central character, rather than the entire crew, and for its unique storytelling approach.