Which of these books would you recommend for LQG?

• Thread starter cpsinkule
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Lqg
In summary, There are two books on LQG written by Rovelli, but it is unclear which one is better suited for the subject. However, both books are good and reading either one will not be a mistake. If choosing between those two and "Euclidean Quantum Gravity" by Hawking/Gibbons, it is recommended to go for the first book and the book by Gambini/Pullin. For a survey of various approaches to quantum gravity, the book by Kiefer is recommended.
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with the first one, because it gives a wider perspective. Later you may also want to read the second one, because it presents more recent results. But both books are good, so you will not make a mistake by choosing any of them.

Demystifier said:
I would start with the first one, because it gives a wider perspective. Later you may also want to read the second one, because it presents more recent results. But both books are good, so you will not make a mistake by choosing any of them.
If you had to pick between those two and Hawking\Gibbons "Euclidean Quantum Gravity" which two would you pick at this moment? I can only afford two and I'm not quite sure the best combination. I was, as well, leaning toward the first I listed along with Hawking\Gibbons

cpsinkule said:
If you had to pick between those two and Hawking\Gibbons "Euclidean Quantum Gravity" which two would you pick at this moment? I can only afford two and I'm not quite sure the best combination. I was, as well, leaning toward the first I listed along with Hawking\Gibbons
Hawking/Gibbons is not really a book in the usual sense. It is a collection of not directly connected scientific papers previously published elsewhere. Also they are not about LQG. I would not recommend it.

If your goal is to learn LQG, perhaps the best start is Gambini/Pullin:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199590753/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for the second one. It is well written and I found it more accesible (as a LQG-outsider) than the first one.

Related to Which of these books would you recommend for LQG?

1. What is LQG and why is it important in science?

LQG stands for Loop Quantum Gravity and it is a theory that attempts to reconcile general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is important in science because it is a potential candidate for a theory of quantum gravity, which is necessary for understanding the fundamental workings of the universe.

2. What books are available on LQG and which one would you recommend?

There are several books on LQG, but the most commonly recommended one is "Loop Quantum Gravity" by Carlo Rovelli. It provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the theory.

3. Is LQG a proven theory or is it still being researched?

LQG is still a developing theory and is currently being researched by scientists. While it has shown promising results, it is not yet a proven theory and is still being refined and tested.

4. What background knowledge is required for understanding LQG?

A basic understanding of general relativity and quantum mechanics is necessary for understanding LQG. Some familiarity with mathematical concepts, such as differential geometry and group theory, may also be helpful.

5. Are there any criticisms or controversies surrounding LQG?

As with any scientific theory, there are some criticisms and controversies surrounding LQG. Some scientists argue that it is not a complete theory and that it has not yet been experimentally verified. However, there is ongoing research and investigations to address these criticisms.