Fumes from heating a plastic Sterilite container?

theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
Do I need to worry about inhaling or ingesting fumes from a Sterilite container heated to 150F?
Howdy folks.
I have a couple spares of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAL6MND/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and I was thinking about repurposing one as a food dehydrator. Do I need to worry about fumes?

IIRC the max temp is 150F.

Will one of these help?

https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Purifier-Battery-Activated-Printer(Pack/dp/B095BTW744/ref=asc_df_B095BTW744/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647308226327&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5989182475171002304&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003563&hvtargid=pla-1409880341191&gclid=CjwKCAjw7c2pBhAZEiwA88pOF0ClVKKpPasTkbNZ-oSUCWjycF_t73OD0YIkvWzJ6G5UTCnQq8Y1CRoChrwQAvD_BwE&th=1

There's plenty of room even if I wanted to use two or even 4 purifiers.

Thanks so much

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, worry. You should avoid the fumes.
If the polymer is not rated to 150F, the fumes will include the plasticizer, isomer, and breakdown products from the polymer.

theycallmevirgo said:
...repurposing one as a food dehydrator.
Rule of thumb: if it's about food, then stick to food (grade/rated).
The linked product is '‎Clothes Storage'.

Likes berkeman
Sterilite is a business name and registered trademark. It is not a type of polymer.
Sterilite admits that the material is "BPA-free and phthalate-free".
What material identification information is included with the product ?

1. Are the fumes from heating a plastic Sterilite container toxic?

Yes, when plastic containers like Sterilite are heated, they can release toxic fumes that may be harmful if inhaled. It is important to avoid heating plastic containers as much as possible.

2. What chemicals are released when a plastic Sterilite container is heated?

When heated, plastic containers like Sterilite can release chemicals such as BPA (bisphenol A), phthalates, and other harmful compounds. These chemicals can pose health risks when inhaled or ingested.

3. Is it safe to use a plastic Sterilite container in the microwave or oven?

No, it is not safe to use plastic containers like Sterilite in the microwave or oven. Heating plastic containers can cause them to release toxic fumes and chemicals, which can contaminate food and pose health risks.

4. How can I safely sterilize a plastic Sterilite container?

It is best to avoid heating plastic containers like Sterilite for sterilization purposes. Instead, you can clean them with hot soapy water or use a dishwasher to sanitize them without exposing yourself to harmful fumes.

5. What are the potential health effects of inhaling fumes from a heated plastic Sterilite container?

Inhaling fumes from a heated plastic Sterilite container can lead to respiratory irritation, headaches, dizziness, and in severe cases, long-term health effects. It is important to avoid heating plastic containers to prevent exposure to these harmful fumes.

Back